PDA

View Full Version : mother cat dislikes like it female kitten (WHY)

Sharon
04-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Hi

Could someone please help me.. my cat has had kittens 1 female and 1 male... they are now 9 weeks old... but the mother cat does not like the female kitten... she gets really upset if the female kittens comes up to her...She will even strike at her... but she is still looking after the male kitten... why is this?

Thanks for the help :(

celtechfarms
04-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Animals ween their young when they feel it is time. There is a chance that she believes the male still needs caring for, while the female has reached a size and independence that tells mom its time to end the mother bond that they have had for so long. Most likely she will start this practice with the male soon too. Its probably best to make sure both young are eating on their own and get them weaned and off to their new homes. Then spay mom before she adds any more kittens to the over population problem in the car world.

kittycat
05-30-2007, 04:11 AM
I have no idea why your cat dislikes her female kitten. But what I've learned about cats is that females stay with their moms longer than the males do.

Fuzzy26
06-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Has she always disliked her?

PeterNgLH
07-08-2007, 12:27 PM
sometimes its because of the smell, or even the mum wanting to unsure her own space as the female in the the house. :(