PDA

View Full Version : Spay Neuter law.

ritabooker
03-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Also just heard on the NBC news that there is a bill in the process of introduction, for the state of California, that will require spaying and neutering, except for pure-breds.

They are arguing the economic side of the issue(what it costs the state to euthanize so many animals). Maybe that will give the bill a better chance to pass. I hope so. I don't think it will cause a shortage of pets. I think it will just mean fewer homeless, suffering pups.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where people would make better decisions and we didn't have to legislate what goes on in someone's home, but we don't, and it seems the impact on the community around here is getting worse...dogs running loose, getting hit by cars, fighting,
being neglected, etc. So it is not just going on in the homes of these owners, their decisions are impacting the whole neighborhood.

Arazante
03-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Yep. That would have my support. I think of a dog I helped babysit for last week. He was a good dog and his owner's are pretty average- meaning, they don't give the utmost care with best foods, grooming, or whatnot, but they would never hurt their dog intentionally and do love it. But he was not neutered and they said he ran away three times. In that time he could have mated with another stray. It's simple things like that, really.

Plus, neutering would help dogs like him to stop wanting to run away as often, perhaps completely. I don't see many drawbacks to such a law.

celtechfarms
03-24-2007, 05:29 AM
I'd love to hat come into effect, it would put these designed dog breeders right out of buisness. :D

DogMom
03-24-2007, 07:57 AM
i think dogs should be fixed regardless of breed, cause i don't believe in breeding, but i think its pretty dumb to make it a law to have it done. its a responsibility thing. if you aren't responsible enough to fix your pet than you should reconsider if having a pet is your best option. i've never seen a neuter over $75 and that's not a lot of money. if you can't afford to nueter for $75 than how are you going to pay for hw treatment or if he gets hit by a car or malled by a stray dog???

celtechfarms
03-24-2007, 11:39 AM
It costs over 120 dollars to nuter a dog here and 170 plus to spay a female, plus more if you want them to test to make sure the drugs they use to put them under wont harm them, like allergic reactions.

ritabooker
03-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I think there are some folks who will go ahead a have it done, just because they would rather pay for the surgery than deal with a litter of pups which everyone will know came into existence because they did not follow the law. It won't solve the problem completely, but maybe it could also be the start of more discussion in favor of spaying and neutering.
Sometimes people just don't stop and think, and when they do, sometimes they do the right thing. This law would make them stop and think...I hope.

jdjlynn
06-01-2007, 07:07 PM
It costs over 120 dollars to nuter a dog here and 170 plus to spay a female, plus more if you want them to test to make sure the drugs they use to put them under wont harm them, like allergic reactions.

Here in the US, there are many low cost spay/neuter options. I don't know about your area, but really - here there is little reason for people not to alter their animals.

Even when one decides to get an animal - if they adopt from almost any shelter or rescue, the animal is already UTD on most shots, and they usually go home already altered so there is no additional fee.

"Free" animals may be easier to get, or "cheaper" in the beginning, but if cared for correctly, they usually cost more in the long run, than an adopted animal would.

In my eyes, that makes the adoption route that much better.

Have a spay/neuter law put into effect - opt to adopt already altered animals and before long areas will be impacted in a positive light.

ritabooker
06-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Good point regarding the value of a shelter dog, at least in our area.
Our Humane Society is a privately funded, no kill operation. They work so hard at saving the animals.

For $150 we got Abby from them, and she was microchipped, spayed, wellness examined and evaluated for temperament. The vaccinations were for us to do, but I really thought that is was a pretty good deal. It maybe less expensive in other areas, but we didn't mind paying that because we like to help support the operation they are running. I would have preferred to have our own vet do the spay, actually, but completely understand why they
don't release the dogs until they are spayed.

Double Trouble
06-17-2008, 06:34 AM
I'm a big believer in spaying or neutering, my dog is neutered, we had him done before we got our bitch as we didn't want him to breed plus we were hoping it would curb his tendency to hump everything in the house ( err it hasnt ...lol) Our bitch is still entire but thats because we are showing her just now, if we do not breed her ( there is so much involved in breeding were not sure yet) she will be spayed once her show career is over.
We have a population explosion over here in the UK of certain dog breeds, our animal shelters are full of the 'dogs of the moment' staffordshire bull terriers are the most commonly found in a shelter. I also think its a good idea to have cats spayed and neutered too both my cats were done at 6 moths old, there are a lot of feral cats were my parents live and this can cause a lot of health probs for the domestic kitty.