PDA

View Full Version : Menu foods will pay vet bills

ritabooker
03-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I just watched a NBC news report saying that Menu Foods is going to pay the vet bills for the pets who were sickened or killed by their foods. It does not bring back the pets, but at least they are taking responsibility.
Anyone else hear this report?

DogMom
03-23-2007, 10:08 PM
yes some show i watched earlier said that menu foods would take all financial responsibility for the sick animals provided the owner could prove the cause of illness was indeed by the food. menu foods will reimburse the owner if they can provide the proof.

ritabooker
03-24-2007, 08:10 PM
I am glad they are at least admitting responsibility. Maybe they will take measures to keep if from happening again...I know, sounds a little optimistic, huh?

It won't help the folks who lost their friends, except to recuperate their vet costs, but it is the very least this company should do.

DogMom
03-25-2007, 07:59 AM
i still don't know what to think. it wasn't relly menu foods fault. one of the ingredients they bought from another company sent the stuff with the rat posion in it. i can't imagine menu foods gets deliveries and then says "oh, check it for rat posion". you know? equate makes a new sugar-coated tylenol and it looks a lot like a red m and m candy. i'm not saying it's okay they missed the rat posion or anything but they've been making food how long and how many times has anything like this happened? certainly not an honest mistake by any means but i think its great they are willing to take the fall for it. i hope they never buy from this other company again. maybe they have a lawsuit against that company?

ritabooker
03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Menu Foods imported the wheat or wheat gluten from China. The rat poison that was found in the food isn't legal to use in the USA, but I don't know if it is legal in Canada. Menu Foods is based in Canada, but sells in USA. Complicated, huh?

DogMom
03-26-2007, 06:01 AM
not relly too commplicated--companies based all over sell all over. just the way it is anymore i guess.

but why China?? i think i heard on a press release that the company there charged way less than who menu foods had been paying whatever other company they bought it from before. ha guess that'll teach menu foods not to try to cut corners. if it was that big of a deal they could have raised the food price like 5 or 10 cents per pouch, 25 per can. i know some people feed there dog whatever's cheapest but not me. most of my dogs and 2 of my cats have bad allerigies so when i find a food that works, i stick with it. so if it costs 30 cents or 3 dollars, the company has my money for the stuff.

bet they're kicking themselves now for trying to cut corners though.

celtechfarms
03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
It costs me 65.00 every two weeks in Nutro Natural Choice food to feed my two, I would hope that would mean I'm feeding them some of the best and that this type of thing wouldn't happen.

ritabooker
03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Nutro Natural Choice is one the foods on the list. Sounds like you did not have any problems with it. That is good luck.

celtechfarms
03-27-2007, 04:51 AM
It was dry kibble, they recalled the canned and pouched products. I almost panicked cause on of my dogs has digestion issues to begin with and had just had one of his sickness bouts when the list came out, but it was nothing.

DogMom
03-27-2007, 05:51 AM
I don't think price has anything to do with it. if I fed both of mine Science Diet it would cost me about $80 every two weeks and we no what science diet is like. lol its too bad we have to worry about rat posioning in our food. but i know what you mean celtich. one of my cats has been up and down ill for quite awhile (heartworms). hes been really skinny for awhile but i found one food that seems to keep him at a good weight but they were out of it at the store so i bought a different kind and he started losing weight, vomitting, etc, etc, etc. then two or three days later the list came out and i nearly panicked cause it was on there. thinking this poor stray kitty has survived heartworms for a year and a half now and now hes gonna have kidney failure cause of the food and whatever was in it. but i switched back to the other stuff and he's doing pretty good now. not to mention, it was dry food i bought anyway (but of course all i heard at the time was so and so food was recalled for this reason--they weren't saying wet food at the time). so it was pretty freaky for me.