PDA

View Full Version : puppy with rabies

DogMom
02-16-2007, 03:16 PM
if a dog cant get a rabies shot til at least 6 months old does that mean it can't be infected with rabies til its at least 6 months old?

smiffy
02-16-2007, 03:50 PM
whats happened?

in answer to your question i would assume it would be too potent a vaccine to give to a dog under the age of 6 months? but i would say a dog under the age of 6 months could still be at risk to it.

countrychic10
02-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Rabies is a virus...virus's have no preferance on age. They don't specify that they will not infect a dog before 6 months of age. And also it depends on what state you live in as to when you vaccinate for Rabies. Texas law says to have the rabies shot given by 4 months of age. I of course believe in minimal vaccines and refuse to give rabies to a dog any younger than 6 months old ( I live way out though and have the freedom to side step a few things in favor of my personal preferance). Brutus had gotten ill and it took a while for him to fully recover..he will be 1 year old on the 28th and is going in for his rabies vaccination on Tuesday.

Anywho...got side tracked...are you having a dog with a problem? Suspect rabies or something?? I surely hope not!

DogMom
02-16-2007, 08:07 PM
i got brutally attacked by a 12 week old puppy and they keep saying it probably has rabies and they're going to send the head in to the lab to be tested. but no vet around here will vaccinate a pup younger than 6 months so it seems odd if it's so possible for a 12 week old pup to have rabies then it seems that should be old enough to vaccinate them then.

anyway--I was just curious.

and anyone wondering it's a 12 week old grate dane/bullmastif/giant malamute/arctic white wolf mix--so not a small 12 week old pup he's already 32 lbs. and i'm fostering him from a neglect/cruelty case. he never had any socialization so they said that's probably why he got so aggressive even though i didn't do anything to hurt it but he could have taken my friendly advances in the wrong way and got scared.

ritabooker
02-16-2007, 08:40 PM
So sorry to hear this happened to you, Dog Mom. I hope you are going to be ok. Please let us know how it turns out. It sounds as if the dog was euthanized.

They wait to vaccinate them because the young puppy's system could be damaged by the vaccine. They can get rabies as any age.

countrychic10
02-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Oh gosh... I'm so sorry about you getting bit. Are you okay??? Keep us posted on everything please.

Very sorry to hear about the puppy as well. :( Certainly wasn't his fault, the poor dear was just a victim of circumstance. :cry: Thank you though, for trying to take him in and help.

DogMom
02-17-2007, 03:47 PM
i'm okay ya thanks. i still dont have feeling in one thumb, two fingers and around the palm of my hand where one k9 went in but its not bleeding like it was. I have to keep my thumb taped to my pointer finger to keep the "slice" from tearing open again but its okay. i'm upset cause i really dont no what happened. i didnt make any move any different than i've moved at him for the last month. he was gated in my kitchen and he jumped the gate so i went to pick him up (after baby talking to him that he was a silly boy). he jumped it every day and every day i tell him he's silly or goofy and then pet him before picking him up and putting him back over the gate i mean we did this every single day but i keep putting him in there to teach him to respect the gate/fence. i just don't understand. i'm 99.9% sure i didn't step on his tail or a paw or anything but even if i did i was told it could be dangerus in the future cause what if it was a young kid who maybe steps on his tail or pulls it or something. she said a dog shouldnt attack like he did. but it doesn't make me feel any better. i still feel bad for the way it turned out. anyway he's going to be put down on monday and i'll get results tuesday if he's got rabies or not and if he does i'll start treatment on tuesday or wednesday. and i got a bunch of shots already yesterday for like tetnis and stuff. and i see a doc on monday about the nerve damage and to see if they need to cut away more dead tissue or not.

ritabooker
02-17-2007, 04:32 PM
It sounds like your injuries were bad enough, I am just glad it wasn't any worse. I know you feel bad, but you know this was not your fault. Keep us posted, we want to be support for you.

It sounds like the shelter folks have concluded that the dog is just too aggressive. That would not be your fault, sometimes dogs just "jump wierd". I hope your hand is not going to have permanent damage.

By having him before anyone else, and suffering the attack that you did, well...it may have saved a little kids life. Not to be melodramatic, but it could be. Take care.

DogMom
02-23-2007, 07:36 AM
just wanted to let everyone no that the rabies test was negative but he was positive for distemper and so was the other pup from the litter so he was put down too before he suffered to much. he already had the coughing and runny nose and stuff. the vet said distemper isn't contagous to humans but my doc said its a similar virus to measles so just to be on the safe side I got a measles vaccination too. i'm feeling okay today. my hand is still really swollen but its healed up. my doc wanted to cut it back open cause it competely healed in less than a week and with how deep it was she was saying it could take 4 to 6 weeks to heal at first. so that it closed in less than one week really concerned her a little. i go in every two days so she can monitor the swelling though. she said if i dont have feeling in my thumb in 6 months than the damage was done and i wouldnt ever get feeling back. so now its just a waiting game. i'm really hoping i wont need reconstructive surgery but it looks right now like i just might. but it's only been one week so we'll see in a few weeks. not freaking out too much right now. i don't need to wrap my hand anymore cause of open wounds or anything but i have to keep it wrapped cause I can't feel it!! and sometimes i forget that i can't feel it and do like i did last night where i picked up a glass of milk at dinner and it slipped right out of my hand and shattered all over the floor. my kids think it's hillarious though. hehe i still feel terrible about the pups. it wasnt supposed to end up like this. and i know it's not my fault but that doesn't help much. i only had them for a couple weeks but they were doing so well with socializing and i was feeling good about them having good lives.

ritabooker
02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Sorry this did not turn out better, but I am glad you do not have to have the rabies treatments.

Take care of that hand...we are all sending healing thoughts.

Sorry you lost the pups.