PDA

View Full Version : weaning pups

DogMom
01-18-2007, 04:44 PM
hi all i am trying to wean two pups that have been bottled fed since day one they are 5 weeks old now i started putting food in with them at 3 weeks old and she took to it but he never did now i'm bottled feeding in the morning and at night but nothing in between except food and the milk in a dish but he won't take either so he just cries and cries all day long for a bottle. any suggestions? she's just fine and could probably not get a bottle at all with no problems but he just will not do anything in the dish except walk thru it trying to get to me for a bottle I don't know what to do.

celtechfarms
01-18-2007, 07:37 PM
pups develop at diffrent speeds, just like babies. He may not be ready, keep bottle feeding him, then try a diffrent food. I had a kitten once that weaned onto hard food and water, refused the soft food and milk the others were eating, you might want to try that.

ritabooker
01-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi Dogmom: Got your hands full, huh? You might want to try Natural Balance dog food roll. Just grate a little bit off the roll and see if he goes for it. Like celtech said, though, he may not be completely ready to be weaned, so take it slow and gradual.

Abby is over a year old and she still gets a couple of tablespoons of the grated food roll mixed into her Canidae, twice a day. She won't eat food that has been moistened and does not like canned dog food very much, so it works great for her. It is super nutrition for them. Good Luck with the pups.

ritabooker
01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
I found this on the Natural Balance site. Thought it might help you decide if you want to do this:

"For Growing Puppies Our Dog Food Rolls can be mixed with Natural Balance® Ultra Premium Dry to ease the weaning process and stimulate their appetite. Mixing Natural Balance® Dog Food Rolls with Natural Balance® Ultra Premium Dry Food provides the growing puppy with complete and balanced nutrition. The high palatability of this mixture will also make weaning easier."

countrychic10
01-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Oh the joys of weaning puppies!!! :)

In the past I have always made a mush with some kibble and puppy formula.. (or goats milk if you have that..I never use cow's milk due to the difficulty of digesting it with most dogs). If they wouldn't eat it from a dish I would either put it on my fingers for them to lick off, or I would take the bottle nipple and dip it in the mix and let them get a taste for it.

In most cases after they figure out it's food they will begin to eat it on their own.

At the age of 5 weeks they are more than capable of eating food...it's really just a matter of helping the lil' fella figure out how to do it.

Hang in there :) You've got them this far so I know you'll get them weaned successfully too. :D

DogMom
01-20-2007, 09:34 PM
he has not had a bottle for 24 hours now!!!! YAH!!!!!!!! hehe

he still cries when i walk past his crate, like he can smell me and nos i'm near but it only take a few minits be4 he falls back asleep. i watched him earlier and he cried and cried and cried and then stood at the crate door with his little head tilted like he was thinking 'where'd mommy go? is she coming back? where's my bottle" and then he walked to the dish and started lapping up his milk. it was SOO funny!

i hope he sleep thru the night. he cried for 20 minits last night wanting a bottle be4 he went to the dish.

DogMom
01-20-2007, 09:36 PM
PS Country i am using goat milk, i no cow milk is bad and he wouldn't drink the puppy formula so i tried goat milk. he won't drink the concentrated kind so i buy the 1/2 gallon jugs and then put 1 or 2 oz of water with the 6 oz of goat milk cause the goat milk is whole and i wanted to delute it a little so it didn't upset his tummy.

countrychic10
01-20-2007, 11:14 PM
They are SOOOOO cute!!!!!!!! Gosh I just love puppies! :)

Ya know, I have had a few pets who didn't like the powdered or concentrate goat's milk mix before. Maybe it taste funny?? Either way, as long as it is working and they are thriving I wouldn't change anything. Your doing a great job with them so keep it up.

ritabooker
01-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Looks like they are doin' well. They are so precious...good for you for all your care for them.

smiffy
01-21-2007, 02:20 PM
awww pups i've never had :) i cant wait for my first babies :lol:

DogMom
01-21-2007, 06:51 PM
thanks guys! its been a rough road with them but its been well worth it. there was 4 pups to start with but one died and one was euthenized cause he was relly sick. :( not sure what came of his owners, probably nothing. i guess the guy walked into the shelter and said if they didnt take em than he was gong to kill them. so the shelter took them. they tried to put them with another dog who was nursing but she killed one of the pups (the one that died). so then there was nothing to do with them and my mom aksed me if i'd like to bottle feed them and i said sure. they got dewormers yesterday and had spagetty poop today. hehe they will get shots next weekend and then be ready for new homes a few days later. its gonna be hard to see them go, i kind fall in love with them!

ps there names are bonnie and clyde cause they survived the toughest of situations and we thought they were gonna die many times but they always managed to pull through. of course i hope they have a better end than the reel bonnie and clyde. lol