PDA

View Full Version : German Shepherd with Diarriah

JenV
01-04-2007, 10:40 AM
HI

We picked our 2 year old GS, Duke, up from the kennel after a 2 week stay on 3 days ago. He seemed fine at first but soon after we got home, he had some running poohs. We now have him out every half hour. It's not total liquid, but really really soft. He's eating fine and drinking lots, he seems happy except he needs to go so often.

This was the longest we have ever left him and only the second time. I think there was a change in food, so that could be it. Before we spend the money at the Vet's, I'm wondering if there is anything we can try at home. Or how long should we wait to see if this passes?

Thanks!
Jen

countrychic10
01-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi.

Sorry to hear your pup isn't feeling well. Could be that they fed him something different, or just the stress of being at the kennel. There could also be a chance that he picked up a bug of some sort.

Anywho...when my dogs have runny stools for whatever reason I give them Slippery Elm. I buy it at the health food store and give the Adult human dosage for large dogs. You can buy it in a poweder form or in the pills.

And in case you wondering just what it is, it's a powder of a tree bark. It has remarkable lubricative properties, and soothes the walls of the gut, calming spasms and irritation. It absorbs extra moisture, and bulks up loose stool; at the same time it increases the bulk of dense stool and so addresses constipation as well. It is a fibrous carbohydrate, but it takes such small quantities that it's not a threat to dietary regime. (BTW- also good for people with a stomach bug)

This is very safe and I have never had an issue with it. I always have kept it in my "Canine First Aid Kit" because my Weim has had terrible stomach issues in the past. Though now both boys are on RAW and we don't have any issues unless one of them manges to steal some extra organ meat. lol

You could also try sweet potato or pumpkin...both have pretty good effectiveness against runny stools. I have used the sweet potato before and still do...usually mix it in with their food on the days the dogs have a fish mealto keep the stools firm, but I haven't personally used the pumpkin. But in a case with a sick dog or extreme runny stools (not just a bit loose) I have always had better luck with the slippery elm.

Be sure he gets plenty of water and I would limit treats until he's feeling better.

Also...has he been checked for parasites recently?? If not to be on the safe side I would have him checked.

Anywho..if you have any questions or need me to clarify anything just let me know. Best wishes to you. :D

ETA- I have also heard that adding a tablespoon or so of plain yougurt will help with digestive upsets, but once again...haven't used that method personally so I can't testify from personal experiance.

Sammy
01-04-2007, 01:14 PM
What about just useing something like Pepto or Immodium?? Seems like that would be easier than running to the health food store. Besides wouldn't an actual medicine be worth a bit more than some remedy from the health food store?? The previous poster is into a lot of "natural" feeding processes and remedies but I would rather just have some medicine.

countrychic10
01-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Woah Sammy....a bit harsh on me this go around aren't you?????? Just because I don't do things like you do doesn't mean I am wrong...and I hate to point out that when it comes to canines and nutrition I have done just a bit more research than you have (proof can be seen in previous threads between the two of us)....

Either way, I'm not here to get attacked by you I am just doing my best to help the original poster with her question.

Now...on to the actual topic.

Both of these over the counter drugs can be used safely in pets, but you MUST consult your vet beforehand. Do not give Pepto on a long term basis, it contains a substance closely related to aspirin, which can damage the stomach/intestines. Immodium is ok for the VERY short term, as you should not use Immodium longer than 2 to 3 days, tops and never with overt symptoms of vomiting or liquid stools unless recommended by your vet.

My Weimaraner has Von Willbrand's disease and I can not give him either of these medications without risk (the asprin like substance in Pepto is dangerous for him).

The Slippery Elm I reccomended won't do any harm to your pet & is much safer that is why I reccomended it. It doesn't have any interactions with drugs, but can effect the absorption of some medications so if your dog is on medication I would allow him to take his meds and offer the Slippery Elm later in the day so his body asborbs his medications. But since you didn't mention him being on anything this isn't a concern for you.

Also..if you don't mind me asking, what kibble is he currently on??

smiffy
01-05-2007, 05:14 AM
i would always prefer to use a healthy option but thats not the same as 'running to the health store'

to help settle tums i like to feed a blander diet such as scrambled eggs made with milk but its important you keep up the fluids.
if the poorly belly goes on then you will need some help to settle his tum but we find its usually the change in water/food and a change in circumstances will bring about a dodgy tum in a dog.

by using chemical made drugs (as a person with ibs) you run the risk of swaying the other way and constipating your dog. as the doses are given in human terms you dont stand a hope of working out the correct weight - dose ratio unless you have the guidence of your vet.

DogMom
01-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Pepto Bismol
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Generic Name Bismuth Subsalicylate
Brand Name Bismukote, Corrective Suspension, Pepto-Bismol

Type of Drug Antidiarrheal

Form and Storage
Oral suspension, paste, chewable tablet, and caplet
Protect from light. Store at room temperature.

Indications for Use
Treatment of diarrhea, vomiting, and indigestion in dogs.

General Information
Some formulations are FDA approved for use in dogs and cats. Available by prescription and over the counter. Use with extreme caution, and only under veterinary supervision in cats as it contains aspirin which may be fatal to cats. Used to treat vomiting and diarrhea caused by dietary indiscretion as it soothes the stomach and intestinal lining. If the vomiting and/or diarrhea persists for more than 48 hours; the pet has a fever, is depressed or shows abdominal pain; or the pet does not continue to be active and alert, contact your veterinarian. Further treatment may be needed. It comes in different strength formulations; follow dosage recommendations below. Some evidence shows that Pepto-Bismol may work better than generic brands and that dogs may take the chewable tablets better than the oral suspension form.

Usual Dose and Administration
Follow your veterinarian's recommendations. In general, Pepto-Bismol regular strength liquid: Dogs: 0.5-1 ml/pound every 6-8 hours by mouth. Regular strength tablets (often the form preferred by dogs): 1/4 tablet/20 pounds every 6-8 hours by mouth. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days. If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian. Corrective Mixture: 0.11 ml/pound once, then 0.05 ml/pound every 6 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days. If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian.

Salicylates can be fatal to cats. Bismuth subsalicylate should NOT be given to cats except under direct supervision by your veterinarian.

Side Effects
Tongue color may darken temporarily. Stool may turn a gray-black or greenish color during treatment. In humans, it has caused constipation.

Contraindications/Warnings
Not for use in patients hypersensitive (allergic) to it or to aspirin products.

Use with caution in animals with bleeding problems like von Willebrand's disease.

Do not use in cats as it contains aspirin.

Not for use in pregnant or nursing animals.

Stool may turn a gray-black or greenish color during treatment. Do not confuse with melena (blood in the stool).

May interfere with reading of abdominal x-rays.

May cause inaccurate results of urine tests.

Shake well before use.

Drug or Food Interactions
May decrease absorption of tetracycline antibiotics.

Do not use with aspirin since both contain salicylate.

Do not give with milk.

Overdose/Toxicity
No information available. Potential to see changes in the blood, fever, bleeding, liver or kidney damage, or seizures.

Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.

JenV
01-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the help. I have a preferance for natural remedies, so we'll try the slippery elm.

Should I continue to give him his kibble?

Thanks!

countrychic10
01-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Smiffy,

Yes, several people I know do reccomend a milder diet while the stomach is upset. And it does help in most cases. Though I have never done the eggs and milk before. Blue has sensitivities to milk so I think for him it wouldn't be a good idea. Could be an option for the Op's dog though.

When Blue was kibble fed and had a stomach upset I would boil some chicken and mix the boiled chicken, a bit of the broth and some rice together and feed him that to him. It was much easier to digest than the kibble and it seemed to help....I was also giving the slippery elm to him as well.

To the OP....is your dog eating well?? If anything, if he is still having trouble you could withhold food for a while and give the slippery elm and give his digestive tract a bit of time to rest. Of course it goes without saying to make sure he gets plenty of water. But if you do want to feed him maybe something bland like the boiled rice and chicken or Smiffy's idea with the eggs would be easier to digest than the kibble. Especailly since digesting kibble does take a while. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

ritabooker
01-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster: I vote for the white rice and chicken or eggs, for a couple of days while he is on the slippery elm.

Our labmix Rita had some stomach problems.
Whenever she became ill we switched her to the rice with meat or eggs mixed in. She would be back to normal by the third day. At the time I did not know that slippery elm would be good for her, or I would have added that to the treatment. Good luck.

DogMom
01-06-2007, 10:15 AM
i talked to a vet friend of mine and she said use brown rice not white rice. brown is better for diarhea than white. and if you use eggs they should only be boiled in water cause fried eggs are greesy and it will cause tummy upset

smiffy
01-06-2007, 03:57 PM
i scramble because there is no danger of ending up feeding 'dodgy eggs' )bearing in mind i grew up with the word 'salmonela' stamped every where. would never ever dream of giving my dogs fried eggs though.

perhaps your talking about poached eggs? in that case then yes poached would be as good as scrambled. i like to add milk as i cook them then add a little milk before i serve them.

smiffy
01-06-2007, 03:58 PM
how is duke now jen?

JenV
01-08-2007, 10:03 AM
He's not much better. He won't eat any rice (brown or white) or oatmeal, just chicken. The diarriah is still there and we're up 2 times a night with him. Today we're going to the vet and getting him checked for parasites.

Other than that, he's still pretty happy. I think it's more than stress or a change in food. He's so skinny though, so I'm anxious to see how much he's lost.

smiffy
01-08-2007, 11:16 AM
your right this seems to be more than the normal changes from stress. have you spoken to kennel staff? did they notice anything different?

how did you get on at the vets?

JenV
01-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Pupdate: The vet said that there was no parasites, but he has a bacterial infection and perscribed some pills. We had a peaceful night last night and he seems to be back to his old self. Although, he didn't poo this morning before I left for work, so we'll have to see what the dog walker says when she sees him today.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Jen & Duke

ritabooker
01-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Jen: Keep us posted.

JenV
01-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Duke seems to fine now. We received 9 inches of snow last night and he was bounding around, chasing snowballs and his tail.

ritabooker
01-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Great News, hope he continues in good health.