PDA

View Full Version : NEW PUP NOT EATING-HELP

CB4MINPIN
04-11-2004, 11:49 PM
I have a new 5 week old min pin who was just weaned and after she got home she is barely eating! She took about 1/2 ounce of a puppy replacement milkly gruel by holding her and using a bottle with the tip cut out of the nipple. I am tring to hold her every two hours and get her to eat something but she barely laps anything. So I tried the bottle. Anyone have any experience with this? It has been two full days with her at our place and she is shriveling up. She weighed under a pound when I brought her home so I am quite worried about the weight loss. Thanks

kendalyn
04-12-2004, 05:19 AM
You should take her to the vet. 5 weeks old is really too young for you to have her. Did something happen to the mother?

If she were older, there are lots of things you could try, but since she's only 5 weeks, I would really take her to the vet right away. Significant weight loss in a puppy is serious. Also, if you can, take her back to the mother for a few more weeks.

VTMastiffMommy
08-12-2004, 05:47 AM
I would take it to the vet also puppies should not be taken from there mom untill at least 7 to 8 weeks old. I would also try wetting the dry food to make it soft. It's teeth are very small and might not beable to chew hard food yet.