PDA

View Full Version : mutts in competition?

ritabooker
12-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Do the AKC or UKC have any events where mutts are allowed to participate?
Does anyone know of any other Kennel Clubs which do allow mutts to enter competitive events? Just want to clear up my ignorance regarding this point.

smiffy
12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
the kc here have a registration process so that cross breeds can enter in 'open' shows which are just the same as the pure bred shows with the excercises being just as tough.
i cant remember the kennel name used but one of my fosters is registered 'golden chance of ' i think its redcoll or retcall?? something that sounds like that anyway :)

he is a border collie x golden retriever and competes in open obedience classes and another set i think but i'm not sure what they are called.

ritabooker
12-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks Smiffy...at least that is a clue. I will google "open shows" and see if that is available here in the US.

celtechfarms
12-13-2006, 08:04 AM
There are some compititions open to all breeds, but actual shows like obediance are breed specific, byb dogs can enter, if they are pure bred and you get their LPN/PEN, (CKC/AKC). But trials are normally open, tracking, racing, flyball, schutzhund, all those are open.

countrychic10
12-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Rita,

Blue is not registered and we compete in Agility & Obeidience. Most of the shows we go to are run by the Abilene Kennel Club, which is an AKC affilated club. There are a few mixes that compete against us (the Jack Russel/Border Collie mix usually beats us at at least one show :D)

You can go to this site: http://www.akc.org/events/index.cfm?nav_area=events .

It gives an overveiw of the various events and there is a downloadable version of the rules and regualtions for cometeing in the companion events such as Agility. I know any dog, mixed or pure can earn their CGC so there shouldn't be an issue for ya'll competeing in the competitions.

Just wanted to add...we have never been to any huge matches or won any points so I have no clue about the rules involved if you are trying to earn points like a registered dog could.

ritabooker
12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all responses. Crystal has covered the AKC.

I have received an email from the UKC saying that mutts can enter performance events. Here is the information in detail for anyone who is interested:

"The United Kennel Club has since 1994, allowed mixed bred and unregisterable purebred dogs to participate in our performance events. Dogs of this nature would have to apply for a Limited Privilege number (proof of spay/neuter must accompany LP application). Once the dog is assigned an LP number, then it may be entered into (eligible) performance events and earn UKC performance titles.

Applying is easy. Here is the link to our LP form: http://www.ukcdogs.com/res/pdf/lpapp.pdf"

Cool, huh? I do not intend to compete with Abby, because I just don't have the stamina for the traveling and consistant training, but wanted to know how it works. Thanks everyone.