PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for those who are interested.

countrychic10
12-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi! I have recently tried something and thought I would share it with everyone in case they might ever need it. I know some of you will probably already know about this, but I'll post anyways. As everyone knows my poor Brutus's got terribly sick and during his illness he lost alot of weight (all ribs became visible) I have a freind who works for Great Dane rescue and I was talking to her about Brutus being thin. She gave me a recipe for "Satin Balls". She has used them on several fosters that she has had and frequently boast about how their coats look great and how much faster they returned to health. Either way I'm thankful for her sharing this with me and I have personally liked the results.

Satin Balls:
5 pounds ground meat (I use beef or venison)
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2 cups raw wheat germ
cup oil
cup molasses
6 eggs
5 packets unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement (optional, you can also use your favorite vitamin supplement if you choose)

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly like you would a meatloaf.
Roll into balls no larger than 1 inch diameter.
Divide into at least 6 separate containers or bags. Freeze. Thaw as needed for feeding.

Blue and Brutus went crazy over these things. I was feeding about 3 tennis sized balls to Brutus along with his regular food and he started putting his weight back on very nicely (keep in mind he is over 135lbs so you would need to feed less to a smaller dog). Not to mention these things are great for the coat. Though I do advise some caution. Satin Balls are very calorie dense and if fed too much you can really pack the lbs on your pooch. These taste great (to the dogs..I don't advise you trying them on yourself) and even when Brutus was sick and wasn't willing to eat much I was able to get him to eat a few of these. There are a couple variations to this recipe and if you do a google search you can pull up more info and varieties. And for those of you who are not comfortable feeding them because of the raw meat you can also roll into a bit smalled balls and bake these at 375 degrees for about 10-20 minutes and then package and freeze. If you do choose to bake them, just add 1/4 extra cup of oil (I use flaxseed or olive oil), 1 extra egg.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!! :D

Sammy
12-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Another food item for dogs containing raw meat?!?! I do not see how that recipe would do anything to help ill dogs recover. Just how many people do you know that have actually used this????

countrychic10
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Quote from my previous post:

"And for those of you who are not comfortable feeding them because of the raw meat you can also roll into a bit smaller balls and bake these at 375 degrees for about 10-20 minutes and then package and freeze. If you do choose to bake them, just add 1/4 extra cup of oil (I use flaxseed or olive oil), 1 extra egg. "

I'm not preaching RAW diet to the board, I was just sharing something that a friend (who is a kibble feeder by the way..she feeds Innova) pasted onto me that I found helpful. Isn't that what this board is for...animal lover's sharing information and experiances and doing there best to help when possible??

As to your question about other people...do a google search and I bet a lot of the results will be from various breeder's sites who use this. I know for a fact that you can look up Royal Sooner Danes & Borzois in Oklahoma and they have their own favorite recipe for it.

Sammy
12-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Thank heavens...sorry I misread your post and for a second thought you were headed on another "RAW Diet is great" rant! I think the safest bet would be to make sure they are cooked before feeding. I would never advise feeding RAW meat as being a safe or smart thing to do.....Either way, lol we both know we don't agree on this so lets not have another debate. :D

I would like to say though..I love the dogster pages you made for Blue & Brutus. I think I'm going to make one for my pups when I get the time. :) I do have to add one thing..I have never had a Weimaraner before and when I adopted my sweet girl I thought she was a huge dog.....seeing the pics of Blue and Brutus side by side gives me a whole new prespective on what "huge" is! LOL And his page says he's only a pup??????!!!!

Arazante
12-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Hmm... I do not have a dog anymore and will not be getting one for a few years, but I will copy and paste this to a new document of "Recipes for Pets" for the future. Always looking for something new to cook, be it for me, my friend, or my pets. Thanks! :D

And btw, cute pages. I wish they had a site like that for cats. I have some photos I took of KC I wouldn't mind spamming in sites and bragging about. :P Seriously though, they are beautiful dogs.

countrychic10
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Arazante,

The recipe works great for ill or underweight cats as well. I will ask a friend of mine what the recipe is for the cats. Both are basically the same accept you use a bit less of the oatmeal & oil, no molasses, and you add two - three cans of salmon of mackrel. And you make the balls smaller...of course. :P Really this is something you can play around with...experiment a bit and see what your pet prefers best. It's not an exact science type of thing and I have seen a ton of variations for Satin Balls.

And by the way..they do have a website like this for cats. :D It's a free website and you can do all the same things as the dog pages..lol you can even keep a daily diary of your cats life or important events on the page...basically you can type up a blog from your pet. :D

http://www.catster.com/

Arazante
12-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Oh hey, cool. Thanks! :D

DogMom
12-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Sammy--you should do some reserch with raw diats and see how much better they are then things like dog chow or table scraps. feeding your dog a couple raw meet balls is A LOT better than dog food you get at walmart

thanks for sharing this recipe hon i will use it in the future for my dogs too

Sammy
12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
DogMom,

I have already had a RAW vs. Kibble debate with another memember on this forum and I'm still not "sold" on it. I think it is dangerous to give your pets RAW meat and bones and I don't think that feeding them some sort of raw meatloaf balls is going to do them any good either. People get on this kick about how RAW diet and they don't even think that they could kill their pets with this.

ETA- One good thing I did get from another memember here is some info on quality kibbles. I don't feed a bad food like what is at Wal-mart, so don't diss my feeding.

countrychic10
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
LOL Sammy! :D You just have a combative spirit huh?? And by the way, lol you don't have to keep refering to me as "another memember"..everyone knows I'm the one your were debating with. :D

I was never trying to get you "sold" on RAW diets. What you feed is your choice, not mine. I was merely asking questions and expressing my veiws on feeding.

If you don't like the Satin Balls recipe, don't use it!!! But you don't have to sit here and throw a fit about it either. It was something I found helpful, so I thought I should pass it on. And...I did offer an alternative to those people who are not comfortable with the RAW meat, so I wasn't "preaching RAW" either.

Now...you also said you didn't want people "dissing" your pets diet. If I came up to you and said "Sammy, I think that you are killing your pets by feeding them that processed kibble, it is dangerous and unsafe and you should really re-think what your doing before your pets die"...Now would you consider that statement by me to be "dissing you"????????????

Sammy
12-06-2006, 11:04 AM
For your information, I'm not throwing a fit! I just thought people should see the other side instead of taking your word for it that raw Satin Balls are okay to feed.

In reguards to your last statement (That was EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE) yes that would be considered dissing, not to mention just plain rude!!!!!!!!! I feed my pets a healthy, balanced diet of quality kibble and they do just fine on it. So back off!

countrychic10
12-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't understand why you thought you needed to get on a rant over this. You said you were offering the "otherside" of things. Well in my original post I included BOTH sides!! Not to mention, I also put the direction for baking them and the alterations that needed to be made so that they could be baked! I'm not trying to start a RAW conversion....I know several memebers on ths board are involved in rescue..thus several people end up caring for sick and neglected animals. I thought someone could possibly use this recipe to help putting weight on the poor animals who have been starved, mistreat or that are ill.

In reguards to the last statement I made in my last post, I was not being rude and I don't even think that of you. I was merely giving you an example of what you do to me. No I do not think your killing your pet and have never said that (my statement was a question, not me saying that your killing your pets.) But I was trying to open your eyes so you can see what you do to me. Here's a quote from one of your many anti-raw post:

"I have already had a RAW vs. Kibble debate with another memember on this forum and I'm still not "sold" on it. I think it is dangerous to give your pets RAW meat and bones and I don't think that feeding them some sort of raw meatloaf balls is going to do them any good either. People get on this kick about how RAW diet and they don't even think that they could kill their pets with this."

In that post you said it was dangerous to feed RAW meat..which is an insinuation that I am putting my pets in danger because I feed RAW. And then the very last part of that statement you flat out said "that people could kill their pets with this"

Have you EVER seen me say someone will kill their pets with kibble??!?!!?! NO you haven't and I won't say that!!! I respect people's choice on what they feed because I know everyone here love's their pets dearly and does the best they can for them, whether it be RAW or kibble.

Azartane, If you do set up a "Catster page" for your furkids would you send me the link so I could see?? Thanks :D

DogMom
12-06-2006, 02:19 PM
haha on killing your pet with satin balls i don't no if neone saw animal cops houston today but they picked up to dogs that were relly underwait and the nurse said they were feeding them something called cotton balls made with meet and helthy grains and some ground veges to help put wait on safely but quikly.

Arazante
12-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I respect CountryChic's knowledge on RAW dieting. She knows a lot and has given me a great deal of information and thinking about to do. And researching the subject tends to prove what she says right. I still don't feed my cat RAW, mostly because of expenses, but I have been doing my best to give my cat the best kibble until I can get the connections on good butchers.

BTW, I did make a Catster. :) http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=435442

I will probably later make a dogster to honor my dog's memory.

countrychic10
12-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Awww thanks Arazante! :D By the way your catster page is great!!! Did you take those pictures yourself?? They look professional. You outta come and take a few pics of my pets since I can't ever seem to get them to cooperate for the camra! Just wanted to add that your cat looks like he's in great health so whatever your feeding is doing him good. :D

Dogmom,

LOL I guess I am on the verge of killing my animals :roll: The cotton balls you mentioned is a variation of Satin Balls. There are several names they go by..Satin Balls, Cotton balls, Health Balls and holistic weight balls are a few names I have heard. I personally don't have a recipe for the mix with veggies in it but if I'm not mistaken you are supposed to puree the vegetables and just add them into the mixture. I'll have to double check on that to be positive though. Either way, most varieties of this are a great and safe way to help put the weight back on. I would have to feed ALOT of extra food to get the results I have gotten with these and even if I fed a large amoutn of food I still wouldn't have got the weight gain as fast.

I know I liked them alot and I'm going to play around with the recipe a bit, try different meats and I think I'm going to make one and add the cans of fish to it and see how the dogs like that as well. :) lol I love makeing treats and goodies for the pets almost as much as I like making cookies and such for the kids :D

ETA- Arazante....if you do end up making a memorial page for your pup let me know if you don't mind. I'd like to see it and link it to Blue & Brutus's pages.

DogMom
12-06-2006, 07:50 PM
hehe country i guess you and me and aspca houston are all killing are dogs then i have made a simlar recipe for my dogs be4 and have used ground salmon and hambuger mix and my dog luvs it!!!

Arazante
12-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Yes, I took the photos myself. Nicer than what the experience really was because I get so mad with my little "photo shoots" with KC. He's a terrible model to work with, the kid just won't keep his head still!

Prince's page is in the works... need to pick through some old photos. I'll post up the link in a few days or so when I'm done.

ritabooker
12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
"In reguards to your last statement (That was EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE) yes that would be considered dissing, not to mention just plain rude!!!!!!!!! I feed my pets a healthy, balanced diet of quality kibble and they do just fine on it. So back off!"

Sammy, you are off base here. What you are calling rude and offensive, is just exactly what you did.

Crystal has never ranted about RAW diet and always acknowledged that it is not for everyone...so maybe you are the one who needs to back off.

I am fed up with your aggressive attitude. Every time we discuss this topic, you jump in to try to start a fight. I feed raw sometimes, and your
assertion that I am not smart and that I am endangering my dog is "rude and offensive". This is the last time I shall respond to any of your posts,
so go ahead and have at me. At this point I don't care what you think about RAW or anything else. Now this, this is a rant.

countrychic10
12-08-2006, 08:22 PM
LOL Rita. :lol: Some people just like to have something to argue about. Which to be honest with you, is fine by me :) She still has yet to answer my questions and make statements about the concrete proof I provided her with in a previous thread...guess I rendered her speechless with the facts :wink:

Anywho, it's good to see you on again..it's been a while since I have seen any post from you. Hope your holiday season is going well :D Here at our house we are eargarly awaiting out "secret Santa gifts". On a Dane forum that I am a memember of, we do a secret santa thing for the pets so the pups are waiting on their presents. It was funny because I took the dogs with me to Pet Smart so we could shop for our secret santa and Brutus seemed so heartbroke when I got home and put everything in a UPS box....lol poor baby.

As far as the Satin Ball recipe goes, today I made two more 1/2 sized batches. In one I went by the original recipe but I used ground venison and 3 cans of salmon and less oil. And the second one I was trying to make a leaner version of it, so I used lean ground turkey, less eggs and a bit less oil. The venison and fish mix was a huge hit!!! Poor Brutus was pacing the kitchen drooling the entire time I was making them! LOL

I know these are for adding weight and such, so it doesn't make alot of sense to try a lean version, but Blue loves them so much I had to try and find a way to make them for him too. So...the turkey ones are a pretty good hit as well. Since my husband hunts with Blue on most weekends (they sometimes spend the entire day in the feild) I thought these would work well for them to take along with them in a cooler to re-engerize Blue while their out and about. There going out this weekend so they're gonna test them out and see how they work for a carry along food.

Sammy
12-08-2006, 11:43 PM
I think everyone is taking this out of context. Nooo..I do not just try to find things to argue about as someone has stated...I just present my opinion on the matter.

Ritabooker,
I don't think I am way off base. I just feel that people should be careful about what they do and not take the advice from some gal on an internet forum and start feeding their dogs raw meat which could carry tons of bacteria! And as far as whether or not someone did or did not "rant" about RAW diet is a matter of opinion I guess. If you don't like the word "rant" I'll use preaching in its place, because thats what has been done.

By the way, No I was not "rendered speechless"! I just don't feel the need to respond to someone who has a superiority complex and thinks there way of doing things is the only right way.

countrychic10
12-09-2006, 12:11 AM
LOL!!!! I'm sorry, I just can't help it. Everytime I read post from "someone" I have this terrible outburst of uncontrolable laughter! First of all..you can refer to me as Crystal...lol I don't mind at all :D But if "someone" is better for you then I guess you can continue on in that manner as well.

I'm not going to waste my time on the issue of RAW meat...if you want some info and my opinions on that you can look up our previous thread on the matter. But I would like to point out something that I found humerous:

"I just feel that people should be careful about what they do and not take the advice from some gal on an internet forum and start feeding their dogs raw meat which could carry tons of bacteria!"

Your adviseing people not to take advice from "some gal" on the internet but yet you yourself have taken advice from people here...includeing me!!! :D Do I think people should act like what I say is taken directly from the Bible? Well heck no! I stated my opinions and way of doing things and asked others how they did things...it was out of curiosity and last time I checked I haven't done any preaching...or ranting for that matter. :D

You keep rambeling on and on about the terrible hazzards of RAW, but there are ups and downs to EVERYTHING! I have known dogs who gulped down kibble too fast which resulted in bloat and gastric torsion! But do I think kibble is an evil killer of pets??? NO! I also have a very dear friend who lost a dog who ate a BARF diet (similar to RAW but there are some big differences that set the 2 apart if you want I can explain those in a separate post). Sadly she didn't do much research and was feeding a diet that was much to high in bone matter (anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the food very boney). This caused compaction and an obstruction, they tried to operate but the Dane had a bad reaction to the anestisia and never woke up. So you see...I am not here saying that if you do this your pet will die (unlike YOU) I am simply saying "I do things this way and this is why....if you so choose to go this route please do your research and be fully informed before you jump in" Do I think RAW diet is the best?? IMO, yes I do, a RAW diet fed correctly is wonderful for your pets health and personally I won't feed kibble. Do I think everyone should do the same as me?????? Nope, that's up to the individual. Do I think RAW is better than kibble? For MY pets, yes, but there are pets who do wonderful on kibble but didn't do so well on RAW..every person is different so is every animal. A very good example of a pet that didn't do well on RAW was and aged pet with teeth unable to chew the food..

Next..my all time favorite of the evening:
"By the way, No I was not "rendered speechless"! I just don't feel the need to respond to someone who has a superiority complex and thinks there way of doing things is the only right way."

Well so far you have felt the need to throw your responses out on everything else I post, so where is your rebuttal to the information I provided you with???? The deal is....we had a nice little debate going between us, and when I presented you with facts and studies done by professionals in the feild you had no way to back up your outrageous claims that "I'm killing my pet's!" So since you do not have anything to disprove the information I gave you, you have choosen to back down rather that post something innacurate which I would prove to be wrong. :P I do have to say though....I have been called outspoken at times, but I have yet to hear that I have a "superiority complex" :D Somehow I was unaware of that!!

All in all, this topic and debateing is getting very tiresome. I'm sure the people of this board are sick of it by now as well, so unless we are having a mature and civil disscusion I will also refrain from posting. Anytime you feel the need to post "Your pets will die if they eat raw meat" please refer to my previous post and remeber that I have answered and replied to all of your statements but you still have yet to respond to my question that you said "I will get back to you on". :D So...no more going in circles or insulting one another over this. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

celtechfarms
12-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Lets try to keep this on topic all and keep the arguments to private places like MSN. Were all here to share our experiances, weather we agree with them or not, and weather we take the advice is up to the individual. If you have to, just agree to disagree and move on.

Thanks all. :D

ritabooker
12-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi Crystal: We did something similar to your Secret Santa exchange at our doggy class. The last night we had a cookie exchange. Most of the members baked dog cookies and some bought cookies. It was a blast watching the dogs try to stick their heads in everyone's bag or pockets.

I had not thought of using the Satin Balls for travel, but that sounds like a hassle-free way to feed the dogs on the road, too.

ritabooker
12-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Arazant and Crystal: Great photo albums, you two! The dogster and catster looks like great fun.

countrychic10
12-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the pup's page compliment! It was pretty easy to do...lol even for me! (someone who is lacking is the grand computer skills!) :P lol

The Secret Santa thing we did was for a Dane specific forum and I'm still waiting on my package...lol the boys are gonna have so much fun tearing it open!

On Tuesday me and Brutus are **Hopefully** graduateing from his obeidience class!! Were also gonna do presents for the pups there so I made a ton of bone, and holiday shaped dog treats (baked, not raw meat :P) and put them in cute lil' festive packages for everyone. If all goes well Brutus and I will soon be testing for CGC title :D I'm so proud of the progess he's making......we've even done some trick training..which as soon as I figure out how to put a video on the computer I will post a clip of him do his commands and our all time favorite "Bang, Bang" trick!! It's so funny we act like we "shoot" him and he falls down...then we "shoot" him again and he lays all the way down.....then he wags his tail because he knows he's getting a treat and we say "Dead dogs, don't wag!" and he stops...then for the release command we say "Quit playing, your alive!!" LOL It's so much fun and guest get a serious kick out of watching my big mush ball pretend to kill over. LOL

ritabooker
12-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I love Brutus' play dead routine. It got me laughing. If he can do that, then he will have no problems whatsoever with the CGC.

Abby's most complicated trick is spin left, catch, spin right, catch. Could be her mom is a bit lazy.

countrychic10
12-10-2006, 05:17 PM
LOL Rita, it is soo funny!!! And the better he gets at picking up the commands the more dramtic he has gotten with it. (Read more drama equals more treats! :P)

Anywho...in our classes we were able to pick one trick to learn and that's what we all agreed on but a girl in my class found this website (link below) and the teaching methods are very similar to the ones we did in class. It is all taught in steps and with practice your able to achieve the desired result. It took Brutus about 4 weeks to completely figure out the "Bang, Bang" trick. :D

http://www.thedogtricks.com/thedogtricks/index-3B8.html

This site is pretty nifty and has levels you start with to help set the groundwork for all trick training. Enjoy :D

DogMom
12-10-2006, 06:35 PM
i dont meen to sond stupid or nething but how on earth do you teech your dog to 'play dead' on bang bang AND manage to get him to hunt the right way? i mean, woodnt he play dead when he hears the bang bang of the gun??

ritabooker
12-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Dog Mom: I just checked out the site from the link in Crystals post. It tells in detail how to teach this trick. It looks like a very good site for reference, so I have bookmarked it.

countrychic10
12-10-2006, 07:47 PM
LOL!!! Good question but I have 2 separate dogs :D Blue, my Weimaraner hunts with my husband, but Brutus (the Great Dane) is just my big old lap dog. :D

Either way a gun shot and the words "bang, bang" are completely different.

They way we started the trick is:

1. Hold a treat in each hand under your middle finger and make a "gun" with your hand. (The treat should be visible)

2. Let the dog see and smell that you have a treat to make sure you have their attention. (Mine will look & sit in front of me at this point)

3. Say the word BANG as put one "gun" to the floor in front of your dog. This causes them to lay down because they are following the treat.

4. Praise like crazy, say "good bang" and give the treat.

5. With your second "gun" (while the dog is still laying) lure his nose around to his side and gently ease them all the way on their side and say "Bang", Once again, praise and give treat

After several repitioons of this the learn to lay down on the first "bang" and fall over on their side on the second. This doesn't happen quickly...it took working on this a few times each day for several weeks before they do it with out you easeing them into each position.

The "Dead Dogs don't wag" part was my own little add on. Brutus would get so excited after he "died" that he would wag his tail like crazy. So I started saying "dead dogs don't wag" and holding his tail still...when he kept his tail still I would reward with a treat. I say "Your Alive!" in a high pitched, excited voice to let him know he's off that particular command.

Blue also does this trick, but it doesn't interfere with his hunting either. He's not even formally trained in hunting work. Most is just the instinct that was bred into him. He has done some tracking competitions and such so when he hunts my hubby gives him the command "find it" and points him on whatever trail he wants him to follow. When he's come to whatever they were looking for he freezes, stands his tail straight and stands on a "point". If they are bird hunting my husband will tell him to "skit 'em" (I told you his training wasn't formal..lol) and he will flush the birds out, and then he is told "bring 'em back" for his retrieve command. On the times they have hog hunted my husband will tell him to "hold" which means don't move just wait for commands. It's amazing what different breeds retain naturally just from genetics. Blue isn't some well bred hunting dog...he's just a rescue from the local shelter and my husband (who has worked with well bred and trained English Pointers and Labs) swears Blue is the best hunting companion because he "thinks freely" and figures out each individual situation on his own.

Either way...lol I've rambled on. To answer the question, the different trick training doesn't interfere with the work training. Not to mention when we are doing tricks, Blue is in his happy playful mood. The second him and my husband go out in the feild he switches to "work mode" and is very serious and attentive.

DogMom
01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
my frend just adopted a dog from the shelter and it has heartworms so shes gonna feed him this while he does his treatment. neway i'm wondering about some of the ingredents.....

5 cups instant oats (does that mean instant oatmeal?)

2 1/2 cups raw wheat germ (where do I buy this? and what does it look like?)

3/4 cup oil (olive oil? vege oil?)

5 packets geletan (is this boxes of jello or the stuff to make jello jigglers or knox blocks stuff kind of thing?)

and for the added vitamin stuff, can she leave it out since he takes an oral multi-vitamin pill or is it needed for added consistancy?

countrychic10
01-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi.

The slow cooking oats are the best. Not the instant ones in the little packets. I just buy that big cylinder shaped container full of the store brand oatmeal...it's usually a cardboard container.

You should be able to find Wheat Germ in the same isle as the cereal and oatmeal. Mine comes in a glass jar with a red lid and it looks like plain crushed up cereal or granola in a way....sorry I'm terrible at descriptions. :oops: Most people use it to top yogurt and such. And if all else fails just ask a store clerk as most grocery stores I have ever been to carry it. It's usually about $3 - $5 per jar in my area.

You can use vegetable oil if you want to but I prefer olive oil.

The gelatin should be the unflavored type. If you look in baking section of your store (where you usually also find the flavored Jello's and pudding mixes) it should be there. Mine comes in a small white box and the box contains about 3 or 4 small packets..much smaller than the packets of Jello mix that you find in the flavored types.. I just buy two of these boxes and use it all.

The vitamin supplement is optional. Since the dog is already on a muliti vitamin, I would skip it in the Satin Balls. It's easy to go over board with supplements such as vitamins so I don't think she will have to add it.

Anywho...if you need me to clarify anything or have any other questions let me know and I'll do my best to help out. :D

DogMom
01-06-2007, 12:53 PM
i guess i should have read this before I went to the store i looked everywhere at the flour and sugar lane for wheat germ and couldnt find it i even asked three little old ladys cause i figured they would no (all gramas cook) but they didnt no either. neway went to the cereal lane for total and found it there yeah it was 3 something where i got it

neway i hope you dont mind my asking so many questions i just wanna make sure we get the recipe right so we dont make him any sicker. i just wonder about the oatmeal. should that be cooked first? i was thinking oatmeal expands when it gets wet so wouldnt he get bloated when it expanded in his tummy from the natural moisture? i'm cooking cook the meat balls to medium or medium rare at first neway cause i'm sure hes never had meat before and i don't want to upset his tummy but i just wondered about the oatmeal.

also can i add some fresh vegies and brown rice too? he kinda has diarhea from the heartworm treatment so the brown rice should help that or is there enough in the recipe that if i add more he might get constipated?

i'm gonna make it tonight though so i look forward to hear from you

countrychic10
01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
No need to cook anything before mixing it all up. Just pour all the ingredients in "as is" :) I mix the oatmeal and everything up like you would for meatloaf, then roll into balls and freeze..easy as that. :D

Also, personally I do prefer the mixture to be uncooked..the dogs seem to take to it better and it doesn't get all greasy...(from the hamburger cooking..not to mention fat changes when cooked so I would wonder a bit about that). Many kibble fed dogs eat this with no issue. Plus, I can't personally account for the results on the cooked product as most everyone I know who feeds these, does so uncooked (kibble feeders included) I only offered up cooking directions that were passed on to me to ease the minds of the people who worry about it. But if you do decide to cook it that's your perogative. :) Just be sure that when you start feeding this to start out in small amounts as these are very rich and calorie dense so feeding too much in the begining will cause loose stools.

On the issue of adding rice or what have you, lol you can do whatever you want but I personally haven't tried that route so I can't advise on how it will turn out....I have mainly left the ingredients the same other than changeing up the various meats used.

If you want, you may be interested in checking out

http://www.royalsoonerdanes.com/page15.htm

and look under their feeding program. They are kibble feeders and also use the satin balls for their show dogs and they have a recipe plus some information about the satin balls on their webpage. Worth reading through in my opinion. :D Good luck and let me know how it all turns out. :)

DogMom
01-09-2007, 10:34 PM
my friends dog died today we made the food on sunday and he had two small balls that night and monday and was throwing up blood by monday night. he had a laceration in his stomach but dont know what from cause he didnt throw up any food

thanks for the recipe. i have 5 lbs of it but i dont know what to do with it cause i'm afraid to feed it to my dogs now.

countrychic10
01-10-2007, 08:18 AM
OMG! I'm so sorry for your friend's dog. Though I do have to say Satin Balls would not have caused that sort of damage, they are just food item...a soft, easy to digest one at that. Have they done a necropsy on the poor pup to determine what caused the preforations?? Obviously he had to have gotten a hold of something that was capable of tearing his stomach. He also should have exhibited some signs of pain or discomfort before passing....was there any warning other than when he vomited??

On the issue of the Satin Balls, they're not going to hurt your dog and I would never have recomended them if I didn't feed them to my own dogs. If your not wanting them then trash them. No sense in taking up freezer space for something you won't need.

Send my prayers to your friends, I'm so very sorry for their loss.

Sammy
01-10-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm so sorry about the pup. I know how sad it is to loose a pet. Did you feed these raw or cooked??

Crystal,
Is this what it takes to get you to stop with your odd foods????????? How do you know that this didn't kill the dog? Are you a vet? Your methods are ridiculous and I knew from the start that these Satin Balls weren't any good. And why are you trying to find reasons that satin balls didn't cause this? Just accept that you gave poor advice and quit reccomending such things! The one and only thing in your post that I do agree with is the poster should throw that stuff in the garbage.

countrychic10
01-10-2007, 08:33 AM
To Dogmom, I'm sorry in advance for hijacking this thread.

Sammy,
First of all common sense says a soft, squishy food items CAN NOT tear the insides of a dogs digestive tract!!! If that was true, then even eating kibble wouldn't be okay because kibble is harder than Satin Balls!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now I have absolutely had it with you, and I'm done with this whole thing. There is not one single thing I can post on this board without recieveing personal attacks from you and I'm sick of it!! I have done my best to help people and give my opinions based on what I know and what I have done. The big issue you have with me is that FACT that I made you look completely uninformed (which you are!) and you have never been able to come back with a reply to back up your outrageous claims against me. I'm sorry that there are hard feelings between us but since your the expert on everything pertaining to dogs and cats I wil leave you to the board because according to you I'm only trying to kill everyones pets. So, have fun enjoy the discussions and find someone else to harass because i won't be bothered with it anymore.

To the people on this board who I have made friends with, feel free to PM me and I will give you my personal email address so we can stay in touch if you would like. By the end of this week I am emailing the moderators and asking my Animal Forum account to be deleted because I will not stand to be constantly harrassed and attacked any longer.

To dog mom, if you share Sammy's feelings as well, I am truely sorry and I'm very sorry that your friend lost their beloved pet. I wish them the best of luck during this difficult time.

Hope everyone has a great day and goodbye.

DogMom
01-10-2007, 09:29 AM
i don't agree at all with him and i'm kind of tired of his attacks too i've read other posts from some other people that seem like attacks too this board is about sharing personal experence and just cause someone doesnt agree it doesnt make it wrong

ive always fed my dogs a raw mix too but it was meat, brown rice and shredded veges with some garlic too and i luv what it did for my dogs. we tried these cause you said it helped gain weight on yours and her dog was relly underweight from the heartworms.

i called my friend and her vet said it was a laceration in his lungs. he had advanced heartworms and also a lung tumor so when he vomitted the blood it came from the lungs not the stomack. he didnt get into anything else cause he was crated cause of the heartworm treatment so he had to be still. she took him outside in the afternoon to pee and he started coughing relly bad and vomitted food and then coughed and vomitted blood so thats why the vet thought it was in his stomack but he called and said it his lungs were full of blood so it probly came from his lungs.

he was relly old and relly sick anyway and i dont think it was the food at all. i'm just afraid it will make my already fat dogs RELLY fat. hehe

do you think it would be okay for my cats though? there on the chuby side but not fat. but they like meat a lot.

and Sammy she cooked the balls for her dog and actually crumbled them in his other food and served it at room tempurater.

celtechfarms
01-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you all on this, I have been reviewing posts from both Sammy and Crystal all morning between feedings and fussings. I agree that things have gotten out of hand and am making a personal request Crystal that you stay with us, your comments have been well informed and well thought out. Your satin ball recipie has nothing in it that could lacerate a dogs stomach, as was just confirmed in the last post.

I will be dealing with this issue personally and promise it will be delt with. Please take my apology for the attacks against your personal choices and remain with us. Your opinions and degree of education on these topics is a great asset to this board and to all of us.

DogMom
01-10-2007, 10:12 AM
yah pleese dont go i like your advice

and for sammy the dog didnt die from the food or anything like that he died cause of the pretty pink stuff in the needle. they didnt no about the lung tumor until she took him to the vet and he did xrays to see how bad the heartworms were in his lungs and thats how they found the tumor and it was a choice she made cuse he couldnt do both treatments at the same time so the tumor could have killed him long before the heartworm treatment was done or the heartworms could have killed him before the tumor was treated so she just chose to put him down rather than put him through pain. i would have done the same thing for my dogs.

other than the food smelling relly bad (molasis stinks to me hehe) i just dont want to feed it to my dogs cuse they dont need to gain nemore weight but i might take it to the shelter and they can give all there dogs a specal treat tonight!

countrychic10
01-10-2007, 09:25 PM
First off, I owe everyone an apology. I'm very sorry for my rant, in all fairness if I wanted to take something up with Sammy I could have done it (again) through the PM system.

Celtechfarms,
No need to apologize. you've never done anything to me. :) Thank you for looking into this and from now on if Sammy has a post or a reply to my post I will just turn the other cheek and ignore it. After all....it's only words right? :) I'm so very sorry you had to get in the middle of all of this..especially since you have the sleeplessness and worries of a new born to deal with right now. So..if Sammy does post you won't have to worry about an argument, I'll just ignore her. :) Best wishes to you and the new baby and I hope all is going well.

Dogmom,
I'm sorry if I snapped at you. :oops: I was frustrated by the innsinuations that Sammy had made and blew up over it...guess that's a bit of the Irish blood (and temper) in me coming out. :D

I'm sooo very sorry about the poor dog's condition. Though I'm glad that he isn't suffering anymore. My condolences go out to his family..at least while he was here he was loved by them.

As to the satin balls, if they're cooked I'm sure the shelter wouldn't mind taking them. And God knows there are several thin and sickly pups in the shelter who could use a few extra calories. And yes...lol they do have a strong smell. Personally I like molasses, but when I made the Satin Balls and added fish, the fish x molasses was TERRIBLE smelling! If your pets already have enough weight on them then I wouldn't feed them the Satin Balls.

Thank you to those who asked me to stay..that's really sweet of ya'll and I sincerely appreciate it. :) I was being foolish in even thinking of taking off because of just one person...I love ya'll to pieces and enjoy the board so I'll stick around and just ignore anyone who decides they want to be ornery.
Hope everyone has a great night.

ritabooker
01-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Yay! Crystal is staying. Hi Crystal: I just sent you an email and then read this post. I liked your rant, just not the cause of it.

I am so relieved that you are not leaving the forum. We just can't have our informed, helpful members leaving the forum.

So glad celtech has decided to step in.

Thanks to Dogmom for the follow up, so that Sammy might know the truth of the cause of death of the poor pup.

Well done, mates.

kerryclair
01-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I am in agreement with Celtech.
It is ok to disagree on this board - we ALL do.

But it does appear that every time Country posts, that Sammy has to reply in regards to it. This won't be tolerated any more. Please feel free to post your polite replies or "facts" about your disagreements, without personal attacks. All other posts will be removed by myself or Celtech.

DogMom
01-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Just wondering if you ever found the recipe for cats? i'd like to have it.