PDA

View Full Version : Litter Training Dog

imkindachildish
12-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I just got a 2 year old rat terrier a month ago. I live in an apartment and have 2 cats. My doggie, Toast, always poops right next to the litterbox. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to litterbox train him. Thanks!

ritabooker
12-09-2006, 04:41 PM
It sounds like he might be already half-trained. I am not a trainer...I work through issues with my own dog as they arise, so you may get better advice from someone more experienced.

That said, I would try moving his feces to his own litter box. It seems best to separate the cat and dog litter boxes, but place it close enough to the location where he left his poop, so that he can see the box with his own feces in it. If he eliminates right next to the cat box, it seems a small leap for him to make in his mind, if he sees his own feces in a box of his own. Good Luck, and let us know how it works out.

countrychic10
12-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm definately not an expert on this since I have never litter trained a dog before (and the thought to do so has never crossed my mind with the Dane pups I have had! lol). I do however know some people who have small dogs that are litter trained and I have heard that the dogs wouldn't use the litter box if it had the rock type kitty litter in it. Don't know if thats true or if that is the litter you are useing, but maybe that sand type litter or the type made from pine shaveings would be an option.

Another thought is you could get some training aids to help you out. At pet stores they sell a "potty training spray" that you use to spray in the area you want you pup tp go potty and it is suppossed to help incourage them to go in that spot. Other than that I don't have much to offer. Sorry. Goodluck to you and your pup and hopefully you can find a solution to your problem. :D Happy Holidays!

imkindachildish
12-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Thank you so much! I will try the new litterbox and the different litter ideas. If that doesn't work, I'll go for the spray. Thank you again!!!!