PDA

View Full Version : Hot Spots, Again

markinnc
11-29-2006, 06:07 AM
I know that there have been several posts here in regards to hot spots. I have read all that I could find. I have also done some reading from general google searches.

My Amy has had a hot spot on one of her back legs for too long, about nine months. I have tried several things which I have read about to help cure it but it has not gotten any better. She is a 1.5 year old lab mix in very good health. She is a house dog but spends several hours outside each day.

I have tried to keep the hot spot washed with soap and water. I have used a topical liquid touted to help. I have tried an anti-bactrial cream and wrap. I have not been able to make any progress so far. This spot is about 2.5 inches by 0.5 inches about half way between her paw and knee.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Mark

celtechfarms
11-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Have you been to see your vet? Is she licking or biting at it. The problem with a hot spot is its a damp injury, so bycontinuing to keep it damp you cause it to remain open. The best thing for it if it is only one spot is to leave it open to the air and not let her chew it, you may need to get a cone collar to help with this for a short time.

Keep the area as dry as possible and clean as possible to give it a chance to dry up and scab over. Once a scab forms the spot should start to heal up on its own, but if it never gets to the scabing point it wont heal. Now if she has more then one spot, there must be an underlying cause, flea bites, other bug bites, allergies, parasites from being in water if shes a hunter, any number of things. Give her a very thorough check as hot spots can hide under the coat, espically around the base of the tail and in around the cheeks of the dog, areas they have a hard time reaching to chew.

Good luck with this, and hopefully we'll soon see an end to this horrible epidemic of hot spots, this has been a really bad last couple of years for them.

DogMom
11-29-2006, 09:46 AM
you dont want a anti-bacterial you want a anti-septic

by washing it and rapping it your just making it worse you need to shave the area of fur arond it so air can get to the spot and then you need to get sumthing caled Betagen spray my vet said i could get it at Petsmart for alot cheaper than he wuld sell it for but its not very expensive neway. you will use 1 to 2 sprays on the spot 3 to 4 times a day

i used this stuff on my dog and her spot started healing in a couple days

petsalive
11-30-2006, 10:28 PM
This is probably not a hot spot as they don't last this long in one spot no matter how you treat them.

It sounds more like a 'lick granuloma' a sore caused by a dog's nervous habit of continually licking at it. I would definitely take her to a veterinarian to determine exactly what it is [ that would be the only way to know exactly how to treat it)

Just curious - do you know what your lab is mixed with?

kerryclair
12-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Is this spot on her leg a place where she lays on her leg? One of my dogs would get a spot because he always lay in the EXACT same way putting pressure on one spot of his leg. Could it be that spot is getting aggravated by laying on it or laying on concrete or some hard surface?
Where is the spot exactly? Can you take a picture of it and post it here?

markinnc
12-04-2006, 06:15 AM
Thank you for your ideas. I have seen Amy lick her spot, whatever it is, several times and it makes some logic that she is actually preventing it from healing with her actions. I was at the Pet Store yesterday looking for Betagen spray, (did not find it yet), and I noted a spray bandaid and some stuff touted to taste bad and reduce wound licking. Are either of these products something I should try?

Amy was a pound puppy and I do not know her history. She looks like a normal lab, she has the normal lab two coats of hair, she loves the water, and acts like a lab. I refer to her as a mix only because I do not know and suspect that she likly is a mix. The only differance from a full blood that I am aware of is that she is on the small side of what I have seen as normal, she weighs about 55 at 2 years old.

Yes, I could take a picure, I will have to read about how to post one.

Mark

petsalive
12-04-2006, 07:11 AM
If it is a 'lick granuloma' (very likely) nothing you can buy over the counter will work. They may also irritate her more and cause her to lick at it more which would complicate things. You can't believe too much of what you read on the products in pet stores UNLESS your vet tells you to buy it. Most of the sales help really don't know too much about medical conditions - remember they are 'sales people' and not veterinarians. ( To say nothing of the fact that you will be throwing money away.)

Why not take her to the vet and spend the money there to find out what it is for sure? Sometimes these kinds of skin problems can get very seriously infected underneath so preventing that is best for her (and for you so it doesn't cost you a lot of money down the road).

55 pounds is actually the accepted weight for female labs under the AKC standards - all of the 'huge' labs you see would probably not be allowed in the show ring if they don't conform to the standards.