PDA

View Full Version : Brutus is sick,anyone dealt with ths before? Opinions please

countrychic10
11-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey everyone. Sorry I have been away for a while, things have been so hectic around here! Brutus is sick and I want to know what some of ya'lls thougts are on this. (Long post, sorry)

Okay Friday night around 9:30 Brutus was his normal happy, silly self and was playing and goofing off as usual. Around 3 am he got up from his bed, took 2 steps, peed in the floor (which is something he NEVER does) and then fell back on his bed. I took him out to go potty (though it took some coaxing) and we went back to bed. At 10:45 am Saturday morning he was laying in my bed shivering, very lethargic, pupils wouldn't respong to light, refusing water and food and he couldn't or wouldn't move. Obviously I rushed him to the vet (by the way, extremly hard to get a sick 135 lb Dane puppy loaded up when he doesn't walk) When we got to the 24 hour clinic (all other vet's were closed) they did an physical exam, in which he showed no signs of pain anywhere, ran a blood panel (CBC & 12 chemistries), and did a fecal exam.

Brutus's temp was running about 104.8 and the results on the blood test came back odd. I do apologize in advance if I do not make this clear, but I am just typing off the copy of the blood panel the vet gave me. I am only going to list the things that weren't normal.

BUN = 5 mg/dl - Vet said this was low and should range between 7-27

HCT = 30.6% - Low also normal range is 37.0-55.0

HGB = 10.8 g/dl Low also. normal is 12.0-18.0

...and the two that they were the most concerned about was his White Blood Cell count and his GRAN (though I am sorry that I do not know what some of the abreviations stand for)

White blood cell count was 39.0x10^9/L Which 39 is high. Normal range listed on the blood panel print out the vet gave me is between 6.0 - 16.9. The vet even ran the test twice to make sure it was accurate because this number shocked him.

And the listing for the GRAN is 37.0x10^9/L which is also high. Normal range listed is 3.3-12.0.

I am very concerned because they never gave me an answer as to what is going on and every vet at that clinic was very vauge with me. They gave him IV fluids and medication. At the clinic they gave him an injection of Cefazolin 100mg/ml (anti-biotic), and injection of Rimadyl 50mg/ml. The medication they sent home with me is Rimadyl Chews 125 mg which is to be given twice daily and Cephalexin 500mg which he is to take 2 pills twice a day (total 2000 mg. per day).

The take home instructions they gave me are:

"Please give Brutus clear fluids (water, low salt broth or soup) as frequently as possible. Brutus needs 250 ounces of fluid daily to make up for his dehydration and to keep him adequately hydrated. After the first 24 hours/250 ounces, the amount of daily fluids can be reduced to 180 ml.

Offer plain yougurt to eat, either as a sole food source or as a supplement to Brutus's regular diet. Continue the yougurt until Brutus is finished with the antibiotics."

Has anyone dealt with anything similar to this before?? Last night I was up every 2 hours offering him fluids and if he was unwilling to accept them I was giving them to him via a turkey baster. Was bit of a struggle, but I got the full 250 ounces in him!

Today has been good as far as his progress goes. He is more responsive, his temp has dropped to 101.9 which is only about 1/10 away from ideal. I started out feeding him a chicken paste made with boiled chicken and broth with some yogurt mixed in. Last nigth and for the part of this morning I was having to feed him this off my finger's but by this evening I was able to get him to eat a bowl of the paste, plus a bit of his normal food...which has me soo thrilled. I think he will pull through this, but I am baffeled as to what happened. He went from playful and happy to completely unresponsive in a matter of hours!

Since it was a weekend I was unable to see my regular vet, and had to use the 24 hour clinic. I have to say, alot of the stress I had to deal with was because of them..I have never dealt with a vet as bad. Some of the symptoms Brutus was showing looked like HOD and when I asked the vet about it she said "what's HOD?"..needless to say I requested to see the other vet on shift! And I told them to run every test they could think of, but they only ran a minimum. It's wears on my nerves that I shelled out $750.00 and they were so unhelpful! Not to mention when I asked for information or risk on the medications they wouldn't tell me anything and I asked when did I need to have a follow up and they said "whenever"!! So I am going to my vet tomorrow and having a urinalysis done, x-rays to be sure there are no foriegn bodies or any perforations anywhere and to run a larger blood panel since the one they ran does not check things like the pancreas. Hopefully by tomorrow I will have some answers to all of this.

Thanks for listening, and if anyone has any ideas on what this could be or has dealt with a similar situation I would love to hear your thoughts.

DogMom
11-12-2006, 11:35 PM
i'm sorry to hear your pup is sick. :( This is some stuff i have founded.

Cephalexin is a antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as pneumonia and bone, ear, skin, and urinary tract infections. Cephalexin may cause an upset stomach. Take cephalexin with food or milk. Cephalexin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away: upset stomach
diarrhea vomiting mild skin rash.

Rimadyl (carprofen) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) of the propionic acid class that includes ibuprofen, naproxen, and ketoprofen. Rimadyl is indicated for the relief of pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis and for the control of postoperative pain associated with soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries in dogs. Adverse reactions may include decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, dark or tarry stools, increased water consumption, increased urination, pale gums due to anemia, yellowing of gums, skin or white of the eye due to jaundice, lethargy, incoordination, seizure, or behavioral changes.

neway sounds to me like maybe they think he has a bone infection maybe? i'd take him to your vet, sounds serious good luck

celtechfarms
11-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Rimadyl can also cause liver failur, so please becareful giving it toyour dog, espically if he is already got a compromised immune system. It can kill your dog or make him severly ill. Let us know how it goes with your normal vet, and don't forget to take that blood panal with you.

countrychic10
11-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Well I have an appointment for 3:00 pm with my regular vet so I'll find out what's going on then. Since I do not trust much of anythign I got from the ER clinic I am having my vet re-run all test plus a few more.

On the Rimadyl I chose to air on the side of caution and go with the lower dose. It calls for 1 mg per lb of body weight but he is getting 125 mg twice daily, which is about 10 lbs under what it should it. The vet at that clinic wanted to give him more, but I feel very confident in the judgement I made. Especially since the vets at this clinic were not even familar with HOD or Pano! :roll: Thankfully my regular vet is amazing and is very familar with giant breeds and their special needs so I will feel much better after I talk to him.

ritabooker
11-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Crystal: I hope you find out what is going on. I don't know what HOD is, either...but I'm not a vet. Please tell. Hope you find out something you can work with. It is not enough trauma to have such an ill doggy, but vague and no answers is crazy making...at least they treated him for the symptoms so he could be more stable until a real vet can see him, and it sounds like he will pull through.

Let us know what your vet says.

countrychic10
11-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi Rita

Well I took Brutus to my regular vet and we still didn't have a reason as to what caused it, but did change Brutus's meds to something that we were both more comfortable with.

HOD & Pano are painful conditions of the bones that occur during the rapid growth phase of puppyhood causing lameness and general malaise. By far HOD is the more serious one and can be deadly. Pano is usually self-limiting and may not need treatment. HOD stands for Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy. Pano is short for Panosteitis.

I have seen Danes with both of these terrible disorders, and on both occaisions they showed symptoms very similar to what Brutus had showed the day he got sick...it was only a bit later that the typical symptoms presented themselves so that was my reason for me asking the ve to check for these.

At the moment Brutus is dong well and is slowly regaining his appetite and is moving around a bit more so I think he will pull through. If all goes well and nothing bad happens I plan on taking Brutus back to the vet at the end of next week to run a new blood panel to see what progress he is making.

ritabooker
11-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Glad he is doing better...at least he wasn't diagnosed with HOD or Pano.
Best luck to Brutus.

countrychic10
12-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey everyone! Sorry it has taken me so long to update about Brutus. Of course he's doing much better and even enjoyed a snow day :D We did figure out what had caused the infection though. I posted about it to a friend and totally forgot to post it here (super sorry) Anywho..he had a small cut inbetween his foot pads that had got infected. It was odd because he never showed any signs that his foot was hurting but on another trip to the vet we managed to find it...there was also what looked like a wood chip pushed pretty far up in there that had to be removed. The vet said it was so strange that he didn't show signs of pain or even tenderness on that leg but he is almost 100% certain that the infection from that is what spread and caused all the issues. Even worse is he said that by the looks of it, he could have got that cut a few days before he even got sick........makes me feel terrible because I should have caught it..

I guess the most important thing is he is doing great now and is putting his weight back on :D Thanks so much to those of you who posted and wished us well. I really appreciate it!! :D

ritabooker
12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Yay Brutus! So glad to hear that he is alright. I am going to copy your
Satin Balls recipe in case we need them. Best to you and Brutus and the rest of yours.

countrychic10
12-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks for your kind wishes!! I am so happy that he is doing better, and it is nice to know that we at least have a very good theory on what went wrong. Feel free to copy the recipe, and if you do a google search you can find several different variations to it. LOL I might be weird but I have a blast making goodies for the pets. So far this year I have made PB puppy biscuits, a few varities of Satin Balls, and some various treats I made out of meats and put in the dehydrator. Everyone I know who has pets got a little variety of puppy treats that were packaged in festive boxes and contaniers so the furkids have holiday goodies too. :D

How are your furkids doing??? I hope all is well in your house! Best holiday wishes to you and your family! :D

ritabooker
12-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Yes, the furpersons really do notice that something special is up when they get Holiday goodies. Our cookie exchange at class was fun for everyone. I loved seeing the variety and imagination from all the bakers.
I did not bake dog cookies, but I made human cookies for the exchange, so everyone was very ok with it.

Abby is our only furkid right now. She is doing great...and a Great Holiday Season to you and all the members.