PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about health issues in teacup yorkies?

jen
04-09-2004, 07:30 PM
I am interested in getting a teacup yorkshire terrier but heard they were diabetics. Is this true? What other health problems do they have?
Also how are they with people with allergies? For example, poodles and schnauzers often don't cause allergic reations in people with allergies.

Thanks! Jen

kendalyn
04-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Well, a teacup yorkie isn't a breed. People just call them that when they are breeding for a small size. And in my opinion it is always a bad thing when a breeder is breeding for a specific quality such as size. It can end up in a lot of health problems and is indicitive of someone who is breeding only to make money.

If you want a yorkie, look for a good breeder who does not advertise "teacup" anything.

As far as allergies go, there is no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic dog. Even poodles can cause an allergic reaction. If you're allergic to dogs and thinking of getting a Yorkie, I would hang out with one for a while and see how you feel. Visiting a breeder would be a good way to do it. You might be fine, but you might not. You could look into allergy shots or something though.

kerryclair
04-15-2004, 05:40 AM
Kendalyn - you are a breathj of fresh air around here.
Hope you stay a long time.
It's nice to have your help in answering these posts!