PDA

View Full Version : can you give a dog aspirin/tylenol? SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER!

blueskies
09-09-2006, 10:42 AM
My dog has arthitis and will not eat when she is in pain. I heard aspirin, tylenol, and advil are deadly to animal. Is this true or can I give her a half of a tablet of apsirin? please help me!!!! What can I give my dog for pain? I can not afford to take her to the vet. Any advice?

SalemWitchChild
09-09-2006, 12:08 PM
It is bad to give asprin. Not sure about tylenol. Best thing to do is call your vet.

Glucosomine is good for arthritis and is available over the counter. I would start your dog on that. Solid gold also has a suppliment called Yucca. It is suppose to help with the joints like Glucosomine as well.

ritabooker
09-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Advil is dangerous for dogs. Here are links regarding aspirin for dogs:
Don't know about Tylenol.

http://www.vetinfo.com/daspirin.html
http://www.school-for-champions.com/animalhealth/aspirin.htm
http://www.placervillevet.com/aspirin.htm

If you give aspirin it must be done with great attention to the dosage.

petsalive
09-09-2006, 10:49 PM
It is totally safe to give ONE BABY ASPIRIN to your dog once a day for three days and then every other day UNLESS your dog has stomach problems or has ever had ulcers or a slow clotting time.

Do NOT EVER use tylenol or advil or any form of ibuprofen!!!!!

Glucosamine won't 'cure' arthritis if it is already painful and the money it would cost would pay for a vet visit (which you really should do for your dog)

Solid Gold is also very expensive and the money would be better spent at the veterinarian.

Try to cut back on some of your daily expenses that are 'indulgences' for you personally and take care of your dog. Can you imagine what it would be like if you were in terrible pain and noone would take you to a doctor?

Many vets will take payments (but if they do make sure you are prompt in paying them so they don't decide never to help anyone else again)

SalemWitchChild
09-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Glucosomine and Yucca are not expensive!

A bottle of Glucosomine - 10 bucks..

Yucca - 8 bucks and you use very little at a time.

No they won't take the pain away initially. But pain pills are not a cure and will only help short term. The yucca and glucosomine help by building back the cartilage in the joints which is why the dog has arthritis..because the cartilage is either swollen or worn down.

Personally I wouldn't give any aspirin to a dog. It upsets my stomach so I can only imagine what it would do to my dog.

Talk with your vet. Many will give free consultations over the phone.

ritabooker
09-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Glycoflex is the dog version of Glucosamine...it is true it does not cure arthritis, but it helps make the dog more comfortable while it lives out its days with this disease. Our Rita had arthritis and the Glycoflex kept her on her feet. She had a wagging tail and a smile for us everyday until her last,
when she died of an unrelated cause. She hobbled everywhere she went, but she was mobile.

Blueskies: I have sent you a Private Message regarding your original post.
Hope to hear from you. If you are in the continental USA, I could send you some Glycoflex. Rita does not need it anymore. I would prefer it does not
go to waste.

A good vet may work with you during special circumstances.

celtechfarms
09-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Glucosimine is shown to help dogs with joint issues, but its a trial and error thing and it is readily avaliable at you local health food store or department store. As for pain killers check the first post on this forum, ( http://www.animalforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1645 ) its a list of what you can give your dog and in what dosages without harming him. Definatly get in to see your vet to see how far along the arthritis is, there are a lot of great new drugs out there that help, but reserch everything your vet suggests, drugs like Rydimal can be very dangerous. Good luck and I hope your dog starts to feel better.

blueskies
09-11-2006, 08:57 AM
My dog is a 6 year old Schnauzer. The vet treats me like I am a murder when I pick up medicine for my dog. For the last 2 years, my dog has taken Metacam for arthritis. She is not holding down any food but she is drinking water which she barely holds down. My husband and I recently separated and I live with my parents again. I know how the dogs feels about pain. I have been in pain for the last month with a tooth ache that the doctor hasn't fixed right yet. I do not have any insurances right now. I thought about taking her to the vet to see if they wanted her because I can not take care of her right now. I won't have another dog after this one is gone. Neither one of us have a job right now and my daughter and I moved out because my husband was mental abusive to me. Ok, I just wanted to tell you a little more about my life so you wouldn't think I am a mean person. Thank you for all your help. I appreciate your advice.