PDA

View Full Version : acid reflux

macsmom
09-08-2006, 01:01 PM
My Norfork Terrier, Mac has very bad acid reflux. When he gets startled, the acid comes right up and sometimes he vomits. The vet prescribed Pecid 10mg once a day. This does not seem to help. Now they are suggesting Tagamet, 50 mg 3X a day. Mac weighs about 15 lbs. I am not sure if this is too much for him. I don't want him getting "dopey". Hopefully, one of you has had a similar experience with their pet and can advise me. It upsets me to see him so uncomfortable with this problem. Thank you.

petsalive
09-09-2006, 10:58 PM
As far as I know and am able to research on the web dogs do NOT get acid reflux.

The 'vomiting' of bile is more likely due to esophageal problems which cause the food to 'bounce' back up.

My suggestion would be to feed him several small meals a day of a good quality food (no burger bits or generic foods or Dads, Joy or Pedigree). You should also either get a raised food dish holder so he doesn't have to put his head down to eat or raise his bowl by putting it on a telephone book. The easier you can make the 'passage' of food from his mouth to his stomach the less irritated his esophagus will be.

If he 'wolfs down' his food put a rock in the middle of the dish so he is forced to eat more slowly. Gulping air along with his food can also cause the symptoms you describe.

Tagamet is safe to give but the dose does sound high, however I assume your veterinarians have researched it.

It cannot hurt him OR cause him to be tired - it is not that kind of medication but I would try the smaller meals more often and the raised food bowl first for week before I started giving him any kind of medication. If that doesn't work STILL continue to do that but do give the Tagamet too to see if it helps. If both the new feeding method and the Tagamet don't work I would seek a second opinion in case your dog has a more serious medical problem like pancreatitis.