PDA

View Full Version : Hi--seeking advice--dog walking in circles

emma42
09-06-2006, 04:28 AM
Hi,

Last night my 10 year old golden started choking on a dog biscuit. I heard her making distress sounds and found her choking. I pounded on her back and tried to do the heimlich. It felt like forever, but probably lasted about 1.5-2 minutes before she stopped choking. She seemed okay but very scared and stuck near me the rest of the night.

In the morning she seemed fine like her normal self--I left around 2pm and again, she was fine--came home around 10pm. She was lying on the ground, her legs seemed to be shaking and she had drooled all over the floor, something very unlike her. It took her a while to get up and then she kept walking in circles, around the kitchen and then I took her outside and she just kept walking around the patio in circles. She was also panting heavily. This went on about 30 minutes. Eventually she calmed down and seemed back to herself but I am wondering what is going on?

At first I thought she had choked on something again, but today I'd only given her soft food after the scare the night before. Could it be she was stressed from the choking incident? Could there be something physically wrong w/ her because of the earlier choking?

Any advice/suggestions are totally welcome. Thanks.

kerryclair
09-06-2006, 05:26 AM
ABSOLUTELY rush your dog to the vet.
Do not wait.
This is serious and your dog need to immediately be examined.

ritabooker
09-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Agree with Kerryclair...to the vet.

Maybe something is wrong with her which caused the choking, instead of the other way round.

Good luck. Hope it turns out ok.

celtechfarms
09-07-2006, 11:13 AM
I agree with Kerry, when my dog did this it was due to taking a stroke, get her to a vet fast, fast, fast!!!

emma42
09-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I did go to the vet and my dog was diagnosed as having seizures. Apparently it's common for goldens. She has not had one since and seems fine. My vet does not want to put her on medicine unless the seizures are frequent or lasting over 5 minutes due to the side effects of the drugs. So basically all I can do if she has another seizure is keep calm, which is hard to do.

Thanks for the replies!

kerryclair
09-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the follow-up.
How did he diagnose her as having seizures? Was that his opinion based on the one incident, or did he do some type of diagnostic test?