PDA

View Full Version : Cat Breeds

Shining-Starz
09-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Hello,

I am new to cats so I want to ask about their breeds...

1. How many breeds are there?
2. Which of these wont shed fur?

countrychic10
09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
LOL. I probably shouldn't even be responding to this post since I'm not much of a cat person. But I will give it my best shot . :D I know there are several different breeds of cats, I just couldn't give you a number. I do know there are a few breeds who are hairless and don't shed...I believe it is called the Sphinx?? Someone correct me if Im wrong on that. :D

Here is a site that may or may not be useful to you.

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds.html

Arazante
09-02-2006, 10:21 PM
lol. I would have given the same site link above. Those are the genuine cat breeds that I know of versus the mixes or tabby cats you usually see.

countrychic10
09-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Arazante,

You mean I actually answered half way correctly on a cat related question!?!?!?!!?? WOO HOO! I did see one other site that said there were over 70 different breeds of cats....so I am not sure on the exact number on that one. Do cat registries have several like dogs?? For instance dogs have AKC, CKC, UKC ect. ect. Registries like AKC are ligitimate, but things like CKC (Conntenintal Kennel Club) are bogus and you can register anything under the sun with them. AKC only registers about 160ish breeds (sorry don't know the exact number..will look it up later), while the CKC has over 300 I believe...so I guess the number of different breeds would also depend on what registry you were looking at as well. And by the way...I spelled that breed wrong it's Sphynx...and from what little bit I read most are completly hairless and don't shed, the majority are good for ppl with allergies and they are suppossed to be a healthy hardy breed....they are sort of odd looking though...but in a cute way :D

Ragdoll Mom
09-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi Shining, I won't even try to figure out how many breeds there are as there are so many wonderful cat breeds.

As to your question on shedding, I ask why you would ask. If it is because of allergies, there are many people that have had terrific help with allergy medication and have been able to live with cats. If you check the link below, and look under "Dander", it includes "skin cells" so I now question whether a Sphinx may be considered to have "dander (skin cells that flake off) that could cause dander allergic reactions from humans. I have no definitive answer and this is the first I have heard of dander as skin cells. Very interesting. http://www.strionair.com/indoor_air_quality_glossary.asp#D

If you ask about shedding because of fur on rugs and furniture, vacumming works and I put washable towels on the sofa. Also one of those "stickly lint rollers" will also pick up hair.

As for the Sphinx cats, yes they are truly fantastic, and keep in mind there are special considerations you must take in caring for them. When boarding during your vacations, provide a "tent like bed" (something with some cover from air conditioning blowing) and some blankets to keep the chill off their skin--air conditioning or cold weather that would not bother animals with fur may chill these cats. In the winter they will need some blankets and if you have to take them outside to the vets in the winter, they should be in a warm blanket, sweater or coat (something very soft to their skin). They can also get sunburn, so you must be limit exposure outdoors. On another board someone mentioned they used sunscreen, but I would be concerned the cat would be licking at it and you would have to wash it off as soon as you came back inside.

I hope this thread has helped you with some answers. Good luck.

celtechfarms
09-04-2006, 07:38 AM
There is a hypo allergenci cat out there, I can't for the life of me remember the name, but they are a curlly haired cat, met one so far in my life, my vet owned him. Like curlly coated dogs and curlly coated horses they are suppose to be non shedding and hypoallergenic. Wish I could remember the name of them :( sorry.

countrychic10
09-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Celtechfarms,

I know what your talking about because I saw an article about them once....but I also have a terrible memory and can't remember what it was called. I also read an article once in either Prevention Magazine or the Reader's Digest about a new thing that is suppossed to be on the market late 2007. It is a genectically altered cat that can not shed or produce dander, plus I think if I recall correctly they are suppoosed to be sterile...sort of like mules are (cross of horse and donkey = mule, but mule's cant reproduce). Anywho...the price tag on these "created allergy free - cats" are suppossed to be between $3000 - $7000. I thought the whole thing was completly nuts but thats just my opinion on the subject. I am thinking that the article was in Prevention magazine...maybe about 6 months to a year ago??? Maybe someone could find archived articles from it and double check me on that one?? Anywho...just thought I'd add that. :D

countrychic10
09-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I found a link about the cats I was talking about.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6343637/

It is a very similar story to what I read in the magazine but not the exact same article.

Ragdoll Mom
09-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Here's more on hypoallergenic cats

From Wikipedia (located at http://www.answers.com/topic/hypoallergenic)

Hypoallergenic pets
Cat breeds such as the Sphinx, Devon Rex and Cornish Rex, which lack some or all of the normal layers in cats' fur, are believed by mild allergy sufferers to be significantly less likely to provoke an allergic reaction than other breeds. Siberian cats are also believed by some to be hypoallergenic. In October 2004, the Los Angeles company Allerca announced that within three years it will be able to produce a hypoallergenic cat using genetic modification. At the same time, the company denied that it will be able to do the same for dogs, because whereas cats have a single gene that produces the allergenic protein, dogs have many allergenic proteins controlled by multiple genes.

Personally, I get concerned when scientists start messing around genetically with pets, because until they reach perfection the discarded animals end up in shelters or worse. Do we really need genetically altered cats and they said as long as they are sold neutered and spayed there should be no problem, but humans don't follow the rules.

My recollection is that HYPOallergenic refers to the reduction of allergens and not the elimination of them. So that a person could still have an allergic reaction to a pet that is considered hypoallergenic.

Shining-Starz
09-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Not because of allergy but if next time i gat a cat and it sheds alot of fur, my mum will be mad...