PDA

View Full Version : Upset Stomach - Separation Anxiety?

Gingerbread Guy
03-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi gang,

I hope you can help me quickly, I have a problem with my new dog, Belle. Belle is a toy Manchester Terrier who will be turning 6 years old tomorrow. I have just adopted her yesterday, and she has a tummy ache that is causing me concern.

She isn't complaining much, but her stomach is making the loudest noises. She can't possibly be comfortable, they're really loud.

She hasn't been eating much, only about a 1/5th what I'm told she normally eats. I can't be sure since I just got her. I chalked her small apetite to her being nervous in her new home, but it has been over a day now and she's hardly eating. Even treats, she'll hardly touch them.

This must be a hard time for her.. she just weened her pups about 2 weeks ago and I'm sure she misses them as well as her new home. She is very well behaved here and follows me everywhere, is always in my lap.

What can I do to get her eating and to ease her stomach? Thank you in advance!

~Ginger and little Belle.

kendalyn
03-22-2004, 09:39 PM
A diet of cooked chicken breast and rice is very easy on an upset stomach. You could do hamburger instead of chicken if you wanted. Oatmeal usually sets really well too.

I would give her some time. One day isn't very long. It could take her as long as a few weeks (or more...) to get comfortable with so many big changes. Just give her lots of space and patience. I would really only start to worry if she stops eating altogether for more than a day or if she is visibly losing weight.

Good luck with her! Hopefully she will come around soon :-)

Gingerbread Guy
03-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Thank you for the reply, especially the speed. ^_^ I talked it over with my housemate, who thinks I may be overreacting a little. Ha ha! I guess I'm going through parenthood nightmares already.

You're right, it has only been a day. My housemate reminded me how even I can go that long without food when I've had a bad day or something similar. She'll come around.

Even so, I'm going to mix some chicken in with her food. Thank you for that suggestion!

I'll keep you posted on how she's doing. Lets see if I'm really out of my mind. lol

~Ginger

kendalyn
03-23-2004, 05:09 AM
I'm sure she'll be fine. Believe me, she won't starve. She's too smart for that :lol:

Let us know how it goes with Belle :-)