PDA

View Full Version : Kitty pooping on beds! Help!

Laura
08-24-2006, 05:19 AM
My kitty ( 1 yr old female, healthy) recently started pooping on our beds when we left. We thought she was mad and it was only happening once in a while. Now she is doing it more often, even when someone is SLEEPING in the bed! Any advice out there??

petsalive
08-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Is your cat declawed? If so, how long ago was she done?

Where do you keep her litter box and what kind of litter do you use? Do you 'scoop' it daily or twice daily?

Let me know and I will help you through this.

JustAnotherDogLover
08-24-2006, 10:21 AM
LOL I don't think I can help you but I do know how you feel. My female goes in the bathtub and on my kids' bed. She usually does it when the litter box is fresh (like right after I change the litter) or she'll do it when her box is too full. So when I change her litter box I have to take some of the "old poop" and put it in the clean litter. It's so disgusting but it's the only way I can keep her from going on the bed.

I soaked their mattress in an enzyme cleaner type spray and she hasn't gone on the bed since. But occasionally she'll go in the bathtub still. So you may want to spray the mattress with enzyme cleaner. It might help.

Sure wish I could help but you're not alone!

Arazante
08-24-2006, 10:26 AM
My cat used to do things like this. He's not declawed. Then we got him a litterbox and heaven shed it's light on the house. I use Fresh Step, btw. I change it every 1-2 days.

One thing I can maybe clear for you is the reason: Beds are fluffy and the sheets can pile up.. like dirt. If she's "digging" and scratching at the bed, it's because it's like dirt to her, and she's trying to make a hole to go to the bathroom in. I watched my cat do this outside (and inside, unfortunately).

Is it possible to keep the bedroom doors closed during the day and have her litterbox out where she can see it and know where it is? What my dad does with his cats is keep the litterboxes in the bathrooms.

Ragdoll Mom
08-24-2006, 10:01 PM
I always recommend that when you cat begins acting out of the ordinary, particularly in urination or defecation, that a vet visit is in order (and take a fecal sample with you). Tell your vet everything you are telling us and a complete exam and testing will be done to make sure there are no medical problems that could be causing this situation.

CONSTIPATION:
What I have discovered is that if the cat is constipated, the cat cannot fully pass the feces. What happens is that the feces will frequently hang part way out of the rectum and the cat will walk out of the litter box and as they walk around eventually the feces will drop somewhere in the house like onto the carpet or even onto a chair or a bed and the automatic assumption we humans make is that the cat purposely pooped there--that's not true. If the cat is eating hard kibbles and not getting enough fluids that can create constipation.

One thing you can do is to make sure your cat is getting enough fresh, clean water, even if you have to change it several times a day, to influence the cat to drink. Sometimes cats don't drink the tap water because it is not great tasting or has a foul smell (as in chlorine) or a lot of minerals. So then you may want to try distilled bottled water in an effort to get your cat to drink more fluids. Some people will add some water to the wet food to make it a bit soupy and nuke it (microwave it) to warm it to get the food juices flowing and thus get more fluids into the cat. More fluids in the wet food will help with constipation too.

ILLNESS OR REACTION TO SITUATIONS:
A cat cannot write us a letter to say that it is ill, not feeling well, upset, unsure, insecure, or is worried or stressed out. So the only way they can communicate about this is through their behavior. Typically a cat with inappropriate elimination is either a cat with medical problems (bladder infection, diabetes, thyroid, etc.) or is a cat that may be stressed out.

Once the vet finds your cat is medically okay, then you have to look at what has been happening right within your own home. You have to be really honest about it and play Sherlock Holmes. Stress can be from: illness of another pet in the home, illness of a human, humans fighting in the home, divorce/separation of humans, new humans in the home, moving to a new home, new pets in the home, not enough litter boxes, changing locations of the litter boxes, changing of type of litter in the litter boxes, stray/ferals outside the home, not scooping and changing the litter box often enough and so much more.

I had been reading the book The Cat Whisperer and according to that book some cats get stressed out and go into urine spraying or inappropriate urination from some of the following (don't disregard any of these as reasons for inappropriate defecation):
--New carpet or new rugs: It brings a new smell into the home which is the cat's territory (and new carpet and rugs do emit new odors).
--New furniture: Again, it brings in a new smell into their territory.
--Bicycles in house: They spoke of an extreme case where a boy was bicycling to and from school and the bicycle was being brought into the home every day. The many smells of the outdoors were on the bicycle tires and enough to start the cat spraying.
--Shoes: They spoke of another extreme case where the people had to leave their shoes outside or in a garage. When they were outdoors and about in their regular shoes, when they returned home they were walking in with the many smells of the outdoors on the soles of their shoes and it got the cat started.

So a cat that is stressed or upset can begin to urinate/defecate outside the litter box. Also, if the cat had a recent bout of UTI, the cat may associate the litter box with the UTI pain and and not want to use it again. You can also try buying a new litter box to see if that may solve the problem.

I think cats are very intelligent, but I just wish at times we could be as intelligent and understand the feline language and behavior. I wish you the best and I certainly hope you can work this out with your cat and that your cat is okay.