PDA

View Full Version : YOUR HELP NEEDED TO STOP BILL THAT’S BAD FOR BIRDS

kerryclair
08-20-2006, 09:52 PM
YOUR HELP NEEDED TO STOP BILL THAT’S BAD FOR BIRDS

Every year, millions of day-old baby chicks are sent through the U.S. Postal Service by commercial hatcheries and cockfighting breeders. The birds are literally packed in boxes and mailed, without food or water and without concern for temperature extremes. This inhumane practice results in the death of countless baby chicks.

In response to complaints from animal protection groups, the U.S. Postal Service decided to adopt several policy changes to help protect these birds. These new regulations require that the shipments of live animals must be coordinated through central offices to ensure their safe arrival and limit overall transport time.

Sound like a step in the right direction? Unfortunately, not everyone thinks so. Senator Charles Grassley has introduced S. 2395, which would remove the Postal Service’s authority to implement these new regulations—and force it to accommodate the baby bird and cockfighting industries. This inhumane legislation would force the Postal Service to require that certain airlines transport birds through connecting cities—not necessarily through direct flights—in any temperature ranging from 0 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

If passed, this cruel bill would ensure the continuation of unnecessary suffering for millions of baby birds. ASPCA News Alert readers, you can do something about this today! Please visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center,
https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr005=umdcauyn91.app17b&pagename=homepage&id=2029
where you can contact your senators and ask them to oppose S. 2395. And please pass this information on to compassionate friends and family, too.

Arazante
08-21-2006, 07:30 AM
I always fill these petitions out twice. One to my current state representative and one to my hometown. Hopefully that makes it twice as pushy and likely to be noticed.

Alec
08-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Cool!
:)