PDA

View Full Version : Blind dog needs some help

Toni Signoretti
08-11-2006, 04:40 PM
My 13 year old Shih Tzu is almost blind and his anxiety is increasing during the night time or in dark places. Does anyone have experience to know whether a canine companion would help him adapt? Thanks. Toni :roll:

Arazante
08-11-2006, 05:47 PM
My dog is 13, as well, and has what is known as Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/cds.html

He also gets anxious during the night. I'm not sure if a companion would help, since this syndrome has to do with age. You could try, though I would ask a vet to be sure. I'm just speculating, don't take my word on him having this.

smiffy
08-12-2006, 04:17 AM
arazante i have cognitive dysfunction - mainly its a case of memory - why am i here? what was i doing? where was i going?

that to a dog must be very scary and just as frustrating as i find it.

toni keep a light on during the night - form your dogs point of view he has always been able to see at night no problem - he is still wanting to do exactly what he always did but now he cant even get to his water bowl.

make sure the furniture isnt moved and if he is allowed free access then keep the doors open, all bowls are kept in the very same place that sort of thing.

for both dogs some rescue remedy couldnt hurt :)