PDA

View Full Version : Flies

kerryclair
08-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Is it me, or are the flies just a NIGHMARE this year?

Does anyone use fly predators?

celtechfarms
08-05-2006, 10:21 AM
One of the boarding stables I use to be in had a type of fly spray you put in the air, had them dropping dead in mid flight in seconds, scary chemical if you ask me. Another I know used a paper bag, blown up, and tacked to the cieling like a bunch of balloons, not sure how that works but it did work. I have heard of plants, venus fly eater and pitcher plant (sp), but they also attract flys, so while your killing them, your also attracting them.

Seems to me, horses equal flies, and unfortunatly your either using chemicals or natural means that attract them. In my stable managment I learned the best way to deal with flies is to muck out in the morning and pick out three to four times a day to keep from having anything to attract the flies, and to put your maure pile as far from your barn as possible and down wind as best as possible in the summer, know which way your wind blows from in the summer months, here its east to west and south to north. Oh and theres always the garlic pills to make your horses unattractive.

JustAnotherDogLover
08-05-2006, 01:16 PM
My mother in law puts those sticky fly catcher things in the stalls. But she has high ceilings so it worked good for her but if you have lower ceilings it could be dangerous, cause the horse may see it as a toy or food. She has to change them all the time though cause they get filled up pretty quick.

kerryclair
08-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Well I am just not talking about normal flies. I have had horses for YEARS and have never, ever seen anything like this year. It is nutso, crazy. A few weeks ago I went out to feed them in teh am and my one horse had what looked like a black strip on his leg. Turned out to be about 100 flies clustered together! It's been terrible. I have fly sheets on them, fly leg wraps, I spray them with fly spray (all natural, no chemicals) use fly predators and STILL it is a nightmare. My vet says he has never seen anything like it this year either and attributes it to the very wet spring we had.

Sheesh I dunno but they even eat ME alive when I am cleaning stalls.
UGH.

JustAnotherDogLover
08-10-2006, 05:27 AM
Well maybe you need to use something to attract them for awhile? Obviously there are more being born there are dieing so putting out something to attract them might kill them before they reproduce again?

A friend of mine, once upon a time, used to fill a trash bin with dish soap and banana's. Her problem was bumble bees and wasps though. The banana would attract the bee and then it'd get stuck in dish soap and would eventually die. Maybe you could try something similar?

I've always liked those fly zappers. The ones where the fly is attracted to the light and then ZAP they get shot to the moon. You could see if you could find one (do they even make them anymore???) and amuse yourself with each ZAP ZAP as the flies get killed.

Here's a website.......maybe it'll give you more ideas.

http://www.epestsupply.com/fly_control.htm

celtechfarms
08-10-2006, 06:35 AM
They do still make them, at least for industries, like your local donut shops and fast food resturants, if you look up above the donut display you'll notice the blue light in the rectangular casing, thats one of those fly zappers, only they're much more quite.