PDA

View Full Version : Poor puppy I hope we can help

Jenmm
07-25-2006, 12:58 AM
I have a few questions but i have to tell you his story first....

Joanna my 11 year old rides dirt bikes, we took a trip from NY to OH for a race. When at the race there was the sweetest little 10 week old bulldog puppy there named Dozer. after meeting his family I found out dozer was being returned to the breeder because as they put it "hes Broke" after asking some questions I found out they got him for $1400 when he was 7 weeks old. for the 3 weeks they had him he went potty everywhere. they took him to the vet and told them he prob. had something wrong with the way his kidneys and bladder were connected. so they were returning the dog to the breeder and getting a different one. she was coming to get this one and dropping off the other.

when the breeder came i asked what she was going to do... she said on Monday morning the were going to put the dog to sleep!!! I asked if she new what was wrong with the puppy and she replied no she has never had this happen with any of her litters. after talking with her for a bit more i took the pup home with me.

After getting the dog home i found out that he couldn't hold his bladder or stool. he would defecate when sleeping and playing.

This evening i took him to see our vet (he is very good at what he does) the vet put him through a bunch of tests. he tested his legs and then his feeling. the poor pup was running away from the needle till he pocked him by his anus. he couldn't feel anything in about 2 in diameter around his anus.

the vet was thinking something from birth but after the X-ray he wasn't sure.... he said the X-rays looked good everything is were is should be and his spine looks good. he cant explain his condition? he is going to take the X-rays to a seminar and show some other vets and get back to me around Friday.

the pup is an other wise a normal puppy

I spent all day talking to other breeders and his former owner. some of the breeders said they have never seen both bladder and bowel probs. except with spinlebifida. the former owners never noticed if he pooped because he wanted to or if it just happened. (I knew in 15Min's after he was home) I asked if he was dropped (Hoping i would get the truth) or fell down the stairs. if he ever squatted to pee of poop.. the answers were no and i dint know to my questions. the breeder said she never seen any prob with the dog.

the vet is stumped and i don't know how to research this on line. if anyone has herd of or has an idea of what could be going on i would love to hear it

Now what i am angry about!!!!
what breeder of any dog lets puppies go from there mother at 7 weeks? why didn't anyone notice the dog had a pooping prob!!! why didn't the 1st vet notice the the pup was holding urine but not letting it go??? just dripping the over flow?? why not find out what is wrong with the pup?? if you are going to charge 1400- 1600 for a puppy why not care!!!

celtechfarms
07-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Some breeders think seven weeks is enough time with mom, as for the bowel problem, though I have never heard of it myself have they looked at his nerves, unfortunatly x-rays wont see nerves, maybe he has a pinched nerve somewhere. In people they irradiate the blood then do a scan to see how the nerves are sitting. In this case you may find a chiropractor or a accupuncturist might help?

I'll see if I can find anything on this today once I'm finished looking after the house work.

Good Luck and I hope you find out whats causing this, and your a good person for taking on this poor boy.

JustAnotherDogLover
07-25-2006, 06:57 AM
My friend's cat just had a similar problem. It turned out she had a really bad urinary tract infection. Her dog also lets herself "go" anywhere and everywhere and doesn't appear to realize that she was doing anything but the vet decided, after tests and x-rays, that it was the dogs' age. Vet said that the dog being 17 she no longer had any feeling or the realization of certain feelings anymore.

I guess I'm thinking about how humans can have pain and agony in one part of our bodies but it's actually another part of our bodies where the injury is. For example, women who recently had babies born by c-section are encouraged not to use their feet or legs very much. Because muscles in our ankles run up our legs into the muscles of our stomachs and the stretching of our big toes can actually tear muscles in the stomach. I know it sounds crazy but it just goes to show anything is possible.

So perhaps the anal area is not the only place the vet should be looking for problems. Maybe there are pinched nerves somewhere. And they could be anywhere even up towards the shoulder blades and/or in the neck. Maybe even a growth or some kind of disorder in the brain (I hope not but if possible and caught early, he could be okay).

I sure hope you can figure this out though!!! Have you done a search for spinalbifida? Do that and see some of the other symptoms and compare those to your dog. I've seen some websites where you're specifically searching from one "thing" say that something else shows similar symptoms. So you may be able to get some more ideas by searching for this one problem that you can bring up to your vet.

petsalive
07-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Sounds like your vet is very smart! Here is a very informative article about spina bifida on the Bulldog site - seems to be a real problem in this breed.

http://bulldogsworld1.homestead.com/Spinal_Nerve_conditions.html

It sounds like this is a manageable condition if you have the patience and love to help this pup.

Good Luck and please let us know how he progresses - it was Karma that you ran into his previous 'owners'.

Jenmm
07-25-2006, 08:53 AM
have they looked at his nerves, unfortunatly x-rays wont see nerves, maybe he has a pinched nerve somewhere. In people they irradiate the blood then do a scan to see how the nerves are sitting. In this case you may find a chiropractor or a accupuncturist might help?

The vet knows a nerve specalist that will be at the seminar and is going to talk to him.

I really love this vet!!! just because he dont know whats wrong for sure he is still looking. What a great man.

He did some thing different today. I dont know if this is normal for him or new but this is the first time. I take him out anyway I have wrote down what times he had a bm from sunday night on and take him out at that time and he went. he did not posture but went anyway but what surprized me is he emptyed his bladder :shock: he has only driped of squerted when i pick him up to take him out. so right now i will look at it as a good thing

Jenmm
07-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I guess I'm thinking about how humans can have pain and agony in one part of our bodies but it's actually another part of our bodies where the injury is. For example, women who recently had babies born by c-section are encouraged not to use their feet or legs very much. Because muscles in our ankles run up our legs into the muscles of our stomachs and the stretching of our big toes can actually tear muscles in the stomach. I know it sounds crazy but it just goes to show anything is possible.

So perhaps the anal area is not the only place the vet should be looking for problems. Maybe there are pinched nerves somewhere. And they could be anywhere even up towards the shoulder blades and/or in the neck. Maybe even a growth or some kind of disorder in the brain (I hope not but if possible and caught early, he could be okay).

I sure hope you can figure this out though!!! Have you done a search for spinalbifida? Do that and see some of the other symptoms and compare those to your dog. I've seen some websites where you're specifically searching from one "thing" say that something else shows similar symptoms. So you may be able to get some more ideas by searching for this one problem that you can bring up to your vet.

The way the vet explaned it was there are cetent parts of the back that do a job and he didnt "see" any thing in the X-ray. It was also a full X-ray and we looked at his hole spine. But as he put it he didnt see anything but that dont mean someone else wont. he also said that it could be in the nerves and will talk to his nerve friend about it.

I sure hope that they find something and I hope we can help!!

Jenmm
07-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Sounds like your vet is very smart! Here is a very informative article about spina bifida on the Bulldog site - seems to be a real problem in this breed.

http://bulldogsworld1.homestead.com/Spinal_Nerve_conditions.html

It sounds like this is a manageable condition if you have the patience and love to help this pup.

Good Luck and please let us know how he progresses - it was Karma that you ran into his previous 'owners'.

That was a great article!! and will help me look in the right direction.

I will keep everyone updated as new things happen thanks to everyone!