PDA

View Full Version : West Nile Virus in our dogs?

JustAnotherDogLover
07-12-2006, 07:45 AM
I live in a very high mosquito traffic area. I have a lot of trees in my yard, bushes along my house that I can't seem to kill (trust me I've tried-they're the kind that smell like cat urine). I have two swimming pools too and a bunch of kid toys out front (sand box, toy house, slide, swings).

Every time I go outside, I get bit my a mosquito. Whether it be day or night. Yesterday I started getting really sick and today I'm going in to the health department to be tested for West Nile Virus.

I was reading up on it last night and I know every article says no worries on our dogs contracting it, but how true do you think this really is? They say it's not uncommon for a human to get a low-case of it that we would just brush it off as the flu. So what if our dogs get a low-case that everyone just brushes off as they ate something that didn't agree with them? I mean, have studies been done where a dog is injected with WNV and then monitored to see how it does? Or is the CDC just assuming since no animals were brought in with the symptoms or death of it that dogs just can't get it? If our horses can die with WNV, why can't our dogs? Their bodies are so much smaller than that of a horse it would only make sense if the WNV is enough to kill a huge horse it should be enough to do the same for our dogs, right?

Just curious on anyone else's opinions.

celtechfarms
07-12-2006, 07:50 AM
IZ've been told dogs can absolutly get it, but that they have yet to develop a vaccine like they did with horses. Probably because the vaccine wfor horses can kill the horse too, and dog owners would not accept that. At this point I would look into prevention for your dsog, garlic pills or a fly spray for dogs.

JustAnotherDogLover
07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Sure, I can understand the fear of a vaccination causing death in our dogs.

But think about it........heartworm prevention has the same warning label....that the ivomectin can cause death in our collie's, rotts, shepards and certain other breeds. But that doesn't seem to stop a lot of people. So who are they to say a vaccine with such a warning would prevent people from vaccinating their dogs anyway???

celtechfarms
07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure, but I do know dog make up and horse make up are very very diffrent, and if there isn't a vaccine for people, there probably inst one for dogs yet, maybe it has something to do with a reaction in an omivore or carnivores system that effects the drug and the way it works. My vet has told me she has been to four or five diffrent meetings on West Nile and that they are trying to develope a vaccine for it. Who knows.

JustAnotherDogLover
07-12-2006, 12:57 PM
This all makes me wonder about all the cats in my city that are turning up ill and eventually dieing. WNV maybe? Hmm.....it's something I'm sure is never tested for. I should ask my vet.