PDA

View Full Version : Lab mix, low protein, shrunken liver, poor appetite,swelling

therealbc
07-10-2006, 12:10 PM
My lab, 2.5 yrs old, has recently developed a very poor appetite during the heat of the summer. This is typically usual for him, during the hottest weeks, but the other day we noticed his leg was swelling up real bad. We took him to the emergency vet, in the meantime his other rear leg and left side of mouth started swelling also. The emergency vet thought it was probably a spider bite and instructed us to see our normal vet in the morning. At our normal vet he did some more blood tests and found that everything was relatively normal except his protein content, which was extremely low. The then took an x-ray to see his liver and found that his liver was a bit smaller than it should be. From what I saw it was about 15% smaller than where the vet said it should be. He's going to do a sonogram later in the week to find out more about the liver but he didn't really have much info for me at the time. The emer. vet prescribed an anibiotic and our normal vet presc. a Steroid and a special canned food. His swelling has gone down a little but his appetite is still very poor. He won't eat his normal science diet large breed or his special canned food, but he will eat lunch meat! Our vet said to feed him whatever he'll eat for now just to help with the protein count. I trust our vet very much but am reaching out to try an avoid the worst possible scenario which our vet said is a possibility.

Any info would be appreciated!

celtechfarms
07-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Have you tried feeding a RAW diet, you may find that he is more willing to take that, and the meat in RAW, is probably better then the processed meats you find in sandwhich meats. There are a lot of great recipies online for RAW and even a yahoo group devoted to it.

therealbc
07-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Do you mean RAW as in uncooked meat or is that a brand name? If uncooked meat then just beef from the grocery store?

celtechfarms
07-10-2006, 12:42 PM
RAW is a standard of making your own food for your dogs, some people use raw meat, some people cook it, its up to the recipie and your own thoughts on the matter, dogs can eat raw meat obviously and be fine, their systems are ment to take it. But if your buying from a local grociery store I suggest cooking it. I've been told one of the best places to go is a local meat shop and get the trimmings, that it costs way less and the meat is better then the dyed meat you get in a grociery store.

I personally don't feed it because I don't have the time or extra cash, plus my dogs are on an awsome all natural diet now, but I know people who swear by. If you like I can PM you the Yahoo group, they are awsome and will answer all your questions and probably then some. They might even have a few ideas for you to take to your vet too.