PDA

View Full Version : Zoeys leg

ValentineRott
07-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Well I was hoping I wouldn't have to post in this section (other than commenting) But now Zoey is limping. BF took her out to do her business Yesterday afternoon and when she was running up the stairs (she always does....and REALLY fast) She hit her leg/foot on a stair and now she rarely walks on it. It is her hind leg. Yesterday evening she was putting wieght on it again, but now today she won't even put her foot down. I am not too sure if I should take her to the vet yet....Do you think I should wait a little longer? She doesn't seem to be in pain at all...Just when she sits on it by accident or stumbles on it. Do you think she maybe just stubbed a toe or maybe charile horsed herself really bad?? What would someone suggest (besides a vet at this point) to help her be comfortable? She seems to like to sleep alot....She'll either nap with us on our bed or she'll sleep in her crate (Volentarily...ahem ).....I am not too sure if it is her foot or her leg........She carries the leg high off the ground.........Any thoughts/Suggestions?

petsalive
07-10-2006, 03:26 AM
You MUST take her to the vet - her leg is either broken, in which case you are endangering her life by not having her treated OR it is badly bruised and won't cost you a lot of money to find out.

Dogs do not 'scream in pain' like humans. Just because she is being brave does not mean she isn't in terrible pain.

I cab't believe you didn't go straight to the vet., especially because she is holding her leg off the ground. THAT MEANS SOMETHING IS WRONG AND SHE HURTS!!!!

Arazante
07-10-2006, 06:15 AM
If you mean suggestions for easing pain, I would think it'd be simillar to people: Ice. Numbing her leg (if she is in pain) could hold off some swelling before you take a trip to the vet. If she had something really wrong with her leg, I would think you'd see some swelling real fast, since that tends to happen with broken/sprained legs.

And again, with the people-thing, did you touch her leg, yet? Try squeezing all up and down her leg, and if at some point you feel tenderness or she whimpers or won't let you touch it, I think you'll have determined where the pain is. Otherwise, there's probably not much you can know without an x-ray.

Either way, if she won't put pressure on it at all, I'd run to the vet. But until then, if you think it's getting a bit better, maybe she'll let you hold some ice to her leg.

JustAnotherDogLover
07-10-2006, 07:13 AM
I had a dog do something similar. He was trying to go down the stairs when another was coming up and poor Bandit ended up falling down; about 3 feet. He cried and cried and screamed and whined--omg you could hear him crying a mile away and I think his leg swelled up to 3 times its size within 30 seconds. He wouldn't let me near him so I made hubby (cause it was his dog long before me) come home from work and rush him to the vet. I was certain it was broke!! There was no doubt in my mind. $245 later I found it he just sprained it really bad, got some doggy-style tylenol arthritus and two days later Bandit was running around the yard again.

So I'd say it could be sprained really bad. The more she holds it up and doesn't use it, the better it will feel to her. So of course at some point, she'll think it's okay to put weight down on it and after a short period of time the pain will come back and, low and behold, she's limping again.

Have you checked it out any? It could be broken or slightly fractured. You can usually tell just by touching. Not all breaks will swell up. When my daughter was 12 months old she started crawling really funny. She crawled on her forearms instead of putting her hands on the ground. I was taking her to the doc for something else and brought it up to him. I wasn't very concerned, she ate with her arm, played patty-cake, slapped the tray of her highchair...she did everything else with it--just wouldn't put it down to crawl on. And low and behold, it was broken. It was just the "small" bone in her wrist and it wasn't broken completely through but it was broken.

If Zoey's leg is broken you do need to have it treated quick. If it heals incorrectly she could lose all use of that leg and, eventually, maybe even lose the leg itself. Plus you could run the risk of blood clotting which has a tendancy to lead to death as well.

I wouldn't suggest giving her any asprin for the pain though. Asprin can aggravate certain conditions and/or make other conditions worse. Try giving her some tylenol--that'll help with pain and swelling and has a less risk of upsetting her tummy.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

celtechfarms
07-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Wow, you give your dog Tylonal, we were always told not to do that, that Tylonal (asedimediphin sp) is dangerous, very very dangerous, poisons even for dogs. I would definatly run my hands all over her, check that leg, if you feel a lump or break take her in right away, if not then its probably just stiff from having laid down, in which case I would suggest an anti inflamitory, give your vet a call they can recommend what and at how high a dossage and give it to her for a day or two then take her off, if she goes back to limping take her into the vet.

In our house hold as long as we know its not serious we give our dogs two days under our treatment to get better and if they don't then we head for the vet. Make sure you check joints too, not just the leg bones.

JustAnotherDogLover
07-10-2006, 07:57 AM
My vet has always suggested tylenol for my Mal. In fact, he suggests using a lot of human OTC for her (because of her size--she is the largest dog he treats so doesn't keep big dog doses of any meds). Hmmm....I'll have to look up more info on it, just for my own knowledge. I trust my vet but I'd like to hear what others have to say about its use. Thanks! :wink:

petsalive
07-10-2006, 09:18 AM
People,

your replies are well meaning but TYLENOL IS POISONOUS to dogs and I cannot imagine any vet prescribing it.

This dog cannot be diagnosed by the owner 'running her hands down its legs' - if she is in enough pain to hold her leg up high SOMETHING TERRIBLE is wrong.

Depriving her of a vet visit would be cruelty.

celtechfarms
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I have to disagree, we had an older dog who in the winter would limp bad and after getting up hold her leg high in the air, turned out to be a touch of arthrites that we treated with asprine. As for an exam done by the owner, like me vet says, 'you'll know something is wrong long before I do' an owner has a better understanding of their dog and knows all the little bumps and swellings that are normal to that dog. If Zoey has a large lump or reacts badly to being touched then I agree and vet visit is in order, but if all it is is a little bit of a bruise on a sensitive dog, then the vet visit is a major cost of money for the vet to give you that look that says 'give me a break' and sends you home shaking their heads behind you.

ValentineRott
07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Okay I would like to start off with this..... Petsalive... You seem to over EXADURATE with peoples situations!!! Zoey is not dieing becasue she is limping a little!!! I have personally seen a dog limp the same way for 4 days (not my dog) and when the owner took him to the vet,.....300 dollars later they found out he had just pulled a muscle!!! I really hate to say this....but please.....I would like for petsalive to stay out of my conversations!!! Please!!!

Now, When I touch Zoeys leg and foot, she doesn't do anything. I start off with just a gentle touch starting from her flank area all the way down to the very tips of her toes....I repeat this with a little more pressure each time. She just lays there like im giving her a massage...and actually BF gave her a leg rub last night while she was laying on our bed with us and she just layed there and fell asleep. There was no swelling what so ever and she didnt even whimper when she sat on it just a while ago. Also When we took her for her nightly walk she was walking on it normally. With no limp. But it seems that when she sleeps overnight and wakes up thats when she starts limping. I figure if she doesn't stop limping by tomorrow i'll take her in. And just so people know, I do not give her tylenol or anything. I was wondering if Ibuprofen would work? I have 400mg and 600mg tablets (although I think giving her that much would hurt her!!) But the thing is, is she doesn't whimper, cry or even lick the area that is sore. And today after I made bagels she jumped up to lick the butter on the counter,.....with ALL her weight on both legs/feet!!! She is eating, sleeping, drinking and going to the bathroom alright.....and she still licks my cat to death like normal. But liek I said.....if she doesnt walk on it normally by tomorrow, i'll take her iin......

And please.........enough with the over-exadurations now.......come on.....IAM NOT being cruel to my dog!!! :evil:

Arazante
07-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Arthritis? Sounds like others have suggested, otherwise: That her muscles are getting stiff after long periods of laying down.

petsalive
07-10-2006, 03:16 PM
This second post of yours comes only 10 hours after your first post when you were worried - now, all of a sudden everything is ok? If so I am very happy to hear it but your first post made the situation sound terrible.

Do NOT give her ibuprofen - it is NOT recommended for dogs!

I will join in any post where people are seeking help - sometimes people tend to do 'people' things to animals and could wind up making the situation worse - things like tylenol and ibuprofen.

BTW - dogs do not get 'charlie-horses'

If she is still limping tomorrow I would definitely take her to the vet. Wouldn't you rather spend money and know for sure she is ok then to neglect the situation and find out later that it got worse because something was wrong and you didn't check it out? I know that I would.

Sometimes dogs do dislocate their hips or knees - if they are not put back in in a timely fashion manually by the vet then surgery is required.

Good Luck to you and your dog.

petsalive
07-10-2006, 03:19 PM
This is from the ASPCA site: Everyone here needs to read it since a lot of you use human over the counter medicine on your animals

http://www.pocoapocopoodles.com/dog_poison.html

JustAnotherDogLover
07-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Reading what you wrote about the leg massage, I'm going to agree that it's probably a bruise or even so far as arthritus. When Bandit banged his leg up, he hadn't shown any signs of arthritus before in any limb. And after the anti-inflamatories and a little babying he was back to his good ole self again; though for awhile was a bit more stiff in that joint. So don't think arthritus means she's old and lived out her days of frolicking in the grass. hehe It could simply be that there was minor arthritus in the leg and in combination with the bump and the current weather, it brought out the arthritus a bit.

I'd say call your vet, explain what happened and what you've noticed so far and see if he/she suggests an anti-inflamatory. I would say keep trying to get her to use the limb but don't push her to do anything. Just basically keep her as mobile as she'll allow so the joint doesn't stiffen up or the muscle tighten in the area and make it much worse. She use it again as she's comfortable.

Sounds like you're doing great with her though!!! Paws up to you!

ValentineRott
07-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Thank you petsalive...I will disregard your info.......Zoeys leg is Definentially NOT broken, dislocated or anything. YES you can give Ibuprofen and even a little bit of asprin.....as long as it is not given everyday or too often. My vet nurse friend took a look at it and she said Zoey will be fine...I just need to ice it and give her a VERY TINY dose of Ibu. And I ask again....I DO NOT want help from you petsalive, if you want to rip your hair out over a little bump then post in someone elses thread!!! THANK YOU!!!!

petsalive
07-10-2006, 04:22 PM
This information is on the ASPCA site and I would advise you NOT to disregard it (I didn't write it - they did)

"Less than one regular strength ibuprofen (200mg) could cause stomach ulcers in a 10lb dog, and about six could cause kidney failure"

I think you don't understand that this is an open forum and when people post for help it can be offered by anyone. If you want to 'choose' which ones you listen to that is your prerogative but you cannot prevent anyone from offering information and advice.

Please don't give your dog ibuprofen and if you do, don't give it with aspirin - the two drugs should not be used together as they can together cause serious internal bleeding.

ValentineRott
07-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Okay...What do you suggest? DO you want me to spend 300 dollars just to find out the same thing that my friend said? Shes certified BTW and has gone to school for this....She knows what she is talking about. And I have CLEARLY stated that giving a dog more than 200-400mg of Ibu would hurt her.........In fact Zoey hasn't shown any signs of pain lately.

Now if you read the warning outside of this forum it says that you shouldn't post about severe medical problems. Now A professional Vet Nurse has looked at her foot and it is nothing major. Nothing Life-threatening or anythign that will "endanger" her life. I was told to to give her less than 100mg of Ibu *just once if she is in pain!!!* and Zoey is at least 35lbs and eating well.......It would be different if she was only 15 lbs and not eating!!!! So really.....What can I do? I have given cats and dogs a little asprin before and they didnt keel over and die or anything.....its about moderation........and I am not stupid enough to give my dog Ibu and Aspirn at the same time......

celtechfarms
07-10-2006, 06:56 PM
I have heard that Ibu can be dangerous for dogs, but not on a life a death thing but on a very very hard on the stomach thing. But if your vet friend says diffrent go with your vet. In my home we keep a single bottle of Asprine regular strength around all the time becuase my old dog suffered from arthritis a few times each year and it worked wonders, howevere I will add, my current dog as soon as we medicated him he threw the asprine back up, we have never given it to him since. I would stick to the dosage rule no matter what as this is a human med. Glad you got it sorted out and that all is well.

I would by the way expect stiffness and limping after sleep and after a long night of no movement, just like people with an injury it gets stiff with rest. So it will look worse in morning then at night.

JustAnotherDogLover
07-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Excessive amounts of anything--be it chocolate, raisions, ibu or asprin--can be toxic and "life threatening" to anyone (be them people or dogs). It's like it's been said--all in moderation. The same can be said regarding just about everything.

My vet has always recomended tylenol, ibu and even asprin when it comes to injuries, swelling or arthritus. I wouldn't give a puppy an adult dose of asprin just the same as I wouldn't give my baby an adult dose.

It's good to hear Zoey's doing much better though. Definately expect the sore and stiffness in the early morning or after laying down for so long. It's normal and expected and should go away after a bit of movement.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and some excellent "near you" references. Good luck!

ValentineRott
07-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Thank you!!! Finally!! Someone who agrees with me!!! You just made my day Doglover!! :D

ValentineRott
07-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Well everything is almost back to normal....tonite it only took her 1/2 a block to walk normally.......it used to take her at least 3 city blocks before she even started limping on it a little....She is doing fine and in a couple of days she should be playing ball again :D . The halti has helped (cos she is a puller and i don't use choke collars anymore...since pits can tolerate being choked :shock: ) and she doesn't make it worse on herself anymore.

celtechfarms
07-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Glad to hear it, sounds like everything is going to be fine for her , you did a great job of looking out for her, congrads.

tigger the turtle
07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Congrads that`s good to hear!