PDA

View Full Version : Stray urinating on carpet after a week of not? + more

greg30127
03-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Hello. I've been watching the forums and this is my first post.

First of all, I found an older stray female mix dog a week ago, in my neighborhood. The neighbors say she's been hanging around for weeks, so I took her in for the time being. Here is her photo:
http://www.mindspring.com/~gregory-h/Mandyflier2.jpg

Ok, now, she seemed to be housebroken, and had been in the house for six days and did not do a thing. Then, on the 6th evening, she peed on the carpet next to the dining table. She had just been outside to "go" an hour ealier. I have two other dogs but they have never gone on the carpet, so she wasn't "re-marking" an area as far as I know.

Someone suggested to me she might be getting an infection. I know my vet may suggest this but to be honest, he really pushes to sell pills when they are not always needed, too. As long as this doesn't happen again before next Tuesday when I take her in for a heartworm test, should I even bother to mention it to him? Could it just be nerves catching up to her from getting adjusted to a new home?

Also... her chest area seems to have a good amount of fat on it. It's not a lump or tumor... just an area that seems to be a bit of looser fat that moves around when you pet her. Otherwise she's a bit underweight everywhere else from being a stray so long. Is this just where you think she lost some weight from straying around and it hung on here (+ being older)? Otherwise she seems to be in extremely good health.

thanks

kendalyn
03-08-2004, 09:45 AM
I would look for another vet. It's not good if you can't trust your current one.

You are awesome for taking this dog into your home! I'm sure she really appreciates it!

Make sure you clean the spot where she peed with an enzymatic cleaner such as "Nature's Miracle". She will be more likely to go there again if there is any scent left. Has it been a problem since you posted last? She may just have been a little nervous about her new environment, or maybe something spooked her.

kerryclair
03-11-2004, 05:09 AM
That dog is so cute!!! Like she is grinning up at the camera. You are so wonderful to take in an older dog. I hope that no one dumped her. How horrible to do that to an elder companion!

I would also suggest another vet if you feel that yous is pushing medication on you - but the other thing you can do is tell the vet to give you the prescription for it, then go on the web and buy it yourself!! If your vet knows you will do that, he may be less likely to "push" them. You DO NOT HAVE TO BUY MEDICATION FROM THE VET!! By law he HAS to give you a prescription if requestred. Just a thought.

Second, I would not worry too much about the fatty tumor/cyst/area. This is really, really, really common in older dogs. They can get them all over the place. Have the vet check it, definitely, but I would not worry much unless you see it grow. If it grows, then it is reason to get to the vet ASAP!

As for the urinating....shrug. Who can say. That is a tough one.

Keep us posted!! What a doll she is!

greg30127
03-14-2004, 08:37 AM
That dog is so cute!!! Like she is grinning up at the camera. You are so wonderful to take in an older dog. I hope that no one dumped her. How horrible to do that to an elder companion!

I would also suggest another vet if you feel that yous is pushing medication on you - but the other thing you can do is tell the vet to give you the prescription for it, then go on the web and buy it yourself!! If your vet knows you will do that, he may be less likely to "push" them. You DO NOT HAVE TO BUY MEDICATION FROM THE VET!! By law he HAS to give you a prescription if requestred. Just a thought.

Second, I would not worry too much about the fatty tumor/cyst/area. This is really, really, really common in older dogs. They can get them all over the place. Have the vet check it, definitely, but I would not worry much unless you see it grow. If it grows, then it is reason to get to the vet ASAP!

As for the urinating....shrug. Who can say. That is a tough one.

Keep us posted!! What a doll she is!

Well, there's more to it now, too... look under a new post I'm doing "Heartworm, venting, etc".

But to answer other posts, no, that was luckily a one-time thing. She hasn't used the carpet since that one night (I also used "Capture" carpet cleaner to get rid of the scent).

greg