PDA

View Full Version : Spayed dog and depression

Milly
06-15-2006, 03:20 AM
I had my eleven month old cairn terrier spayed on Monday and she is wearing a collar and hates it and will not walk in it. She has eaten and drunk water when I carry her to it, and I also carry her out to the garden. I took her back to the vets and they said she was depressed, as she's usually very lively. Her temperature is normal, she has no pain or discomfort apart from the stitches, she hates the collar. I took the collar off once and she went straight for her stitches so had to put it back on. Has anyone any experience of this or any advice, because my wonderful little dog breaks my heart everytime I look at her. Thank you.

SalemWitchChild
06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
It's tempting to help her do what she needs to do. But don't. If she wants water make her get it herself. She will learn how to walk with it. Kota did the same thing. Yes she looks pitiful now but she's got to learn how to walk with it on. As for the depression I really don't agree with the vet. It's a shock to the system but Kota was never depressed. I did give Kota lots of attention and pets cuz I know that had to be painful.

JustAnotherDogLover
06-15-2006, 08:39 PM
First of all, I'm curious to know why she's wearing the collar in the first place? I've never heard of them being used for spaying or neuturing. Licking the area is actually a very important part of the healing process as the dog will help keep the area clean leading to less risk of an infection. If she's constantly licking at the area (for 5 plus minutes) or even biting at it, then yes, intervene and discourage her from it. Otherwise, I think it's better to just take it off. It really is better for her not to wear one at all because of the infection risk of it not being "cleaned" by her but if worse comes to worse, try using a breathable qause pad. See if she'll accept it better than the cone. But she's probably licking because it itches (it's a healing wound, yes, it itches). There's going to be less mental and physical pain if you allow her to lick herself then keeping her away from it. So my experienced opinion with spaying is to definately take the cone off!!!!

Second, as far as depression goes. My Mal went through something similar after her spay. She stopped eating and drinking, went outside maybe once a day. She refused toys, bones and everything else offered. She didn't want to go for her walks. She was, in my opinion, miserable.

We didn't intervene with her. After just over a week, she was back to her old self. Just try to put yourself in her shoes. Here she was, a happy puppy with no pains or worries and now all of a sudden she's got this empty feeling, she's in pain, she itches, she's got this heavy cone around her neck preventing her from helping her make herself feel better......yes, she's miserable.

My best advice is to take the cone off of her and use this time to spoil the crap out of her.........buy her treats you don't normally buy, let her lay on the couch with you, feed her wet food if you normally give her dry. Just spoil the crap out of her.

But please, for the sake of risking infection, take the cone off!!!

Milly
06-16-2006, 05:14 AM
Thanks for your advice! In England they nearly always fit collars because the stitches are external, as well as internal. My old GSD pulled all hers out on the first day and had to have another general anasthetic to be re-stitched! But it does seem crazy they cant lick their wound clean. I took her back to vet yesterday and was told she was having me on!! I think she is fed up, itchy and uncomfortable. As for spoiling her, she already sleeps on the sofa and the bed with me and my lurcher!! I am hardening my heart and she has just started shuffling along. It was good to share this with you, helped me get it off my chest.

JustAnotherDogLover
06-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, they are external and internal stitches here in the States too. Most vets I've met in the last few years are using disolvable stiches now. But I've still never had a dog coned for it. Weird. Um.......your old GSD probably pulled them out because they itched so bad and felt funny. There are a number of things you can try to help prevent itching--any type of anti-itch spray for dogs will help her feel more comfortable. And you can probably get something that tastes sour so if she does lick the area she'll back off quickly.

But I assume she's probably ready to take the cone off here in a few days anyway? The last dog I had spayed, after a week you couldn't even tell she had just been spayed cause it had healed up so quickly.

If nothing else, get a box of breathable gause pads. She'll probably want to pull it off too but you could give it a shot. I know how heartbreaking the cones look on a dog. I recently had one who wore a cone for 3 months and she just looked so sad all the time. Poor baby was SOO happy when I finally took it off (she was getting cream on her hind end for a skin infection that she couldn't lick off).

Keep us posted on how your little one is doing!!

SalemWitchChild
06-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Kota didn't have a cone either. Which is why she got infected.

Milly
06-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Just to let you know Milly took her collar off herself after 7 days! Vet took her stitches out and said she has an allergy, so the wanting to scratch and itch must have driven her mad! Luckily she is back to normal and thank goodness they are only spayed once in their life! Thanks for your advice!

petsalive
06-24-2006, 09:09 PM
JADL, just a note. You are ABSOLUTEY WRONG about allowing them to lick to prevent infection.

Dogs who lick their stitches are not doing it to clean themselves (and in fact the bacteria in their mouths can easily infect an open wound). They are doing it to 'rid' themselves of the stitches and to alleviate the new pain. Better to give a pain medication like metacam post surgery (any good vet will give you pain medication these days as they recognize that even though dogs are 'stoics' they do feel terrible pain and should not go home after surgery without it.

Ripping their stitches out (even one) can cause problems in healing, the necessity of more surgery AND more infection because until the wound is restitched it is exposed to bacteria in its environment which can enter where the stitches came out.

PS - dogsd DO have emotions just like we do but they don't get depressed because they are spayed. They look like they are because they are in pain.

JustAnotherDogLover
06-24-2006, 11:20 PM
http://ia.essortment.com/doganatomy_rkav.htm

Anatomy of a dog

By nature the dog's instincts make him a most excellent hunter. Because of this, his body has evolved in such a way that he can easily perform his duties as a hunter. Blessed with speed, energy and muscular control, the dog is most adequately designed for the hunt.

Even if your dog doesn't hunt so to speak, he still has the instinct inside of him. His body is primed for the attack if need be. It is advised that any dog owner have a basic knowledge of his or her dog's anatomy. This will come in handy not for just the fun of knowing, but if the time arrives where your dog has an injury or a problem of sorts, you will be able to describe to your veterinarian some of the problem with your knowledge and you will be better able to understand your veterinarian as well.

Starting on the outside and working in, the hair of the dog plays a vital role in the dog's over all well being. The hair acts as an insulator against both heat and cold. If the dog has thin, patchy or dry hair, the hair cannot do its job in protecting the dog.

A dog sheds his hair twice a year. Generally, this takes place in the spring and fall. During this process, old hair is replaced with new.

Another function of the dog's hair is that when a dog is angry its hair is known to "stand on end". This is a protective instinct made to impress the enemy. This instinct can be easily compared to the human form of "goosebumps".

Next, is the skin. Dogs, like humans, posses a wide variety of skin colors. Some dogs have pink skin, some dark, others have blotched. Whatever the color it has no significance relevant to its function. The dog has sweatglands, as humans do, but they do not function the same. A dog uses his sweatglands in his skin to regulate only his skin and surface temperatures.

The dog's skin has an amazing ability to heal very quickly. Minor cuts, tears or abrasion heal with great ease thanks in part to a healing aid found in the dog's saliva. This built in germicide found in the saliva of a dog amazingly heals wounds in record time.

Under the dog's skin, you will next come to the skeleton. Dogs are quadruped with his normal position on all four legs. The skeleton of a dog is a strong framework and provides good protection to vital organs. Dogs have many bones, but the important ones to know are the skull, ribs, spinal column, and of course the leg bones.

The muscular system of the dog is where you can see some of his hunter instincts come in. Dog muscles are very strong and well coordinated. Dogs need that to be the hunter they are so historically known for. Just like humans, however, dogs get sprains and injury to their muscles when pushed to the limit. Use caution when training.

The dog has a very complex nervous system. This system is divided into two main parts: the brain and the spinal cord. The brain plays an important role in the complex behavior of the dog. It governs learning, motivation and perception. The spinal cord acts as a conductor and governs reflex actions. Reflexes are very important to a dog's everyday life. Responsibilities of reflexes include things like blinking or scratching an itch, twitching ears, hair that stands on end and the like.

Distemper and rabies can severely damage a dog's nervous system. Get your dog vaccinated regularly against these deadly diseases.

Dogs differ from humans when it comes to the digestive system as well. No digestion takes place in the dog's mouth as opposed to humans. His starts in the stomach.

The digestive system consists of the mouth, which is used only as a passage way, if you will, the esophagus, the stomach, small intestine, large intestine and the rectum.

The dog is blessed with strong juices in his stomach to help break down food and bone for easy digestion and to prevent indigestion.

The dog's urinary system's purpose is to process and get rid of liquid wastes. The main attractions in this system are the kidneys, the bladder and the urethra. Ailments in the urinary tract are more common in older dogs but can really occur at any time in any dog.

The male dog's reproductive system matures around eight months of age. He can reproduce any time of the year. Female dogs can mate and reproduce twice a year. Pregnancy of a dog is about 60 days and she will have what is called a litter of puppies. The female reaches sexual maturity about the same time as the male dog but breeding is usually not recommend for the female until she reaches full maturity growth wise.

There are many other aspects to a dog's anatomy that are clearly more comprehensive and detailed than what is described here. Knowing the dogs general anatomy is very helpful and will be of great use should the time come that you need it.

petsalive
06-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Firstly this is not a veterinary site and worse it has no author stated. *could be your next door 'huntin' neighbor)

Secondly if you will re read it it sdsays 'MINOR' wounds. A spay incision is NOT a minor wound.

kerryclair
06-25-2006, 11:30 AM
I have to agree that a dog shouldn't lick a surgery wound too much. Minor licking at it, after it has already started healing for a few days would not be bad, but dogs that lick surgery wounds while they are still fresh should be discouraged.

Minor scrapes, cuts, and spots shouldn't be a problem at all with licking, although some dogs can lick and become so obsessed with a spot they can make a small injury WORSE by constant licking...