PDA

View Full Version : Uncomfortable dog in labor!

JustAnotherDogLover
05-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Well, Animal Control dropped off a dog early yesterday morning because she's pregnant and was expected to deliver anytime. They didn't want her having the pups at the shelter, especially not last night while she was all alone with no one to assist if need be (she's having at least 14). She's so fat she can't even get "back" to lick herself so someone to intervene with cleaning off the pups is neccessary.

Anyway. She's been in labor for at least 30 hours, panting very heavy, coughing, minor contractions. She hasn't lost the sack since she's been here (about 24 hours). But I can tell she's in incredible pain.

I'm thinking she could have had them days ago but the stress has been incredible for her. She was bought as a puppy by her owners who, because the dog got pregnant, surrendered her to the shelter. So then she went from a free roamer dog with an owner to a shelter dog in a small 3X5 cage in a hot dark room with a lot of other miserable barking dogs. Then they moved her into an even smaller crate into the back office with light and small barking dogs and tons of daily traffic and noise. Then they decided to send her here to me so they loaded her up in the van, loaded up her crate and drove her here. I put her crate up in the back bedroom (it's air conditioned), stuffed it with blankets and put a dark blanket over the top of the crate so it was dark and secluded. And then I let her roam free throughout the house during the day.

She settled in rather well. She goes in and out of her crate. If anyone is sitting on the floor she'll come sit on our laps or she'll put her head under your hand for you to pet her. She's a sweet, loving girl. She just won't have her pups.

I mentioned the stress was too much to AC and I didn't think she was gonna have those pups due to it all and maybe they should get their vet to check her out and make sure there wasn't another reason she hasn't had them, but they said the vet won't see shelter dogs except on Fridays.

So I'm wondering, what could I use to help increase her labor, since she's already in labor, or what can I do? I was thinking about tieing her up outside and letting her go under the house--that's where our last female insisted on having her pups. We let her have 2 and then brought her in the house where she finished having them. It's cool, dark and secluded under the porch.

But my neighbor is remodeling a house next door but it doesn't have electricity so he's running a generator and it's pretty loud so I'm afraid the noise from it is going to scare her even more away from having the pups.

Suggestions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/kpcolkid/Picture020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/kpcolkid/Picture0021.jpg

celtechfarms
05-29-2006, 01:26 PM
I would definatly not put her outside, better for her to be inside safe and in a clean environment. Dogs can be in labor for hours, but if you have a feeling something is wrong think about calling your vet. If your in the states its a holiday so just ask the emergency answering service to have the vet call you and talk it out, they will let you know what is the best next step. best thing to normally do is leave the dog be and she will handle it on her own, most dogs are fine giving birth alone and do better alone then with human interference. its just a matter of pationts.

smiffy
05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
i echo celtech, leave her inside where she and her pups are safe.

i really feel for you i wish i could come and help you out 16 dogs plus 15 more in one day!! i love pups in the house but wow!

i'm thinking of you xx

JustAnotherDogLover
05-29-2006, 03:39 PM
LOL Smiffy........yeah, I keep asking myself if it's okay to go insane yet. My "kind heart" of "we can save 5 at a time" has had a heart attack. lol I'm totally stressed out. I'm just really glad that all the dogs are getting along so well and are being tolerant of my lack of attention for them right now. Fortunetly it's miserably hot too so no one is real interested in walking very long. The older pups would much rather sit in the swimming pool outside or in front of a fan in the house.

I've been watching her today and I think I've decided that she's just not ready. She's doing really well so I'm not genuinly concerned something's wrong, I really do think it's fear and stress at this point. She's still panting pretty heavy, coughing a little bit and is EXTREMELY restless. But she did eat this afternoon and she went outside for awhile--though she kinda hung out on the couch on the porch for about an hour until she pawed at the door. I was so surprised she actually made it up on the couch........poor baby is SOO chubby. Those pictures don't show how big she really is. SHE'S HUGE!!!

So we'll see. I suspect in a day or two she'll turn down every food she's offered. She's drinking a lot of water and she did climb in the pool for a few minutes earlier. At least I know she's getting more and more comfortable so I hope once she's convinced she's here and here to stay (at least for awhile) she'll go ahead and have them.

I don't intervene with delivery if I don't have to, either. It's not like I'm gonna sit there and wait for the pup to come out and then quick snatch it up. But like in the last delivery, the mother had the pup, licked the sac off the face, broke the chord and then layed down and that's all she wrote. She didn't make any further attemps with cleaning the pup. So after 2 or 3 minutes then I dried it up and finished taking the sac off the rest of the body and placed it close to the nipples (far enough so it had to find it itself).

And Goldie here is so fat she can't bend enough to lick her hind end. When they brought her to me, she had dried you know what all over you know where of her behind. It was gross. But like I said, she's just so fat she can't bend enough to clean herself up. So I want to be there for her durring delivery incase she needs help in some way or another, even if it's just to move the pup close enough for her to be able to clean it up until she's had enough of them she's able to bend backwards.

Not to mention it's cool to watch! LOL

smiffy
05-30-2006, 04:38 AM
poor little darling, she would have just hated having dried mess up her legs like that - it must have driven her bonkers.

i agree with you on delivery, i would hang around too but leave everyhing the mother wanted to do up to her. i know what i'm like in labour lol
i turn into a demon DONT TOUCH ME and i eat right the way through!! sit there scoffing biscuits right up to the last minute! :lol:

how is she this morning i was thinking of you last night. it does sound like she is settling down now, when she realises she is safe she will relax enough to deliver.

JustAnotherDogLover
05-30-2006, 08:10 AM
No puppies this morning yet. Hmm....contractions are still about 8 seconds apart and every now again and you hear a whimper out of her when she's laying down, then she gets up and walks around. She has a white milky stringy type goo coming from the vulva. I've been whipping it off for her with a soft kleenex--then she licks my cheek almost in a "thanks for doing that, it felt gross but I'm too fat to do it myself." LOL I'm used to getting the ones that are starving to death and/or have had worms so long there's nothing but skin and bone left. So it's teeny little skinny dogs I'm used to getting in. Then she comes along with her short, stumpy legs and a belly that looks bigger than mine did with an 11 lb baby! I know she's gotta be so uncomfortable but she's such a sweetheart through it all. I'm just really surprised she hasn't had the pups yet.

She sat on my lap last night and I put my hands on both sides of her belly and we just sat there (watching 2 Fast 2 Furious). I could feel the movements inside her belly so I know the pups are active. It was SOO wild! I could feel "kicks" on the palm of my hand, each finger, both hands.....didn't matter where I put my hands, there was movement. I just sat there almost laughing in "this is awesome" state thinking "poor girl!!!!" And then ever 8 to 10 seconds she stopped panting, her tummy went solid and still, every now and again she kinda whimpered, and then the panting started again. I'm sure she's contracting but I don't think she's pushing yet.

I just keep trying to convince myself, "SOON ENOUGH!!!!"

JustAnotherDogLover
05-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, it's Tuesday May 30th, 11:00 AM and still no puppies.

And she ate a lot of food this morning.

I'm beginning to think maybe she's not having as large a litter as they think. She doesn't seem to care for dog food, just table scraps. So it's possible she was over-weight before the pregnancy and that's why she looks so fat. I've got her eating a home-made dog food mix, boiled, mixed with a small amount of puppy kibble, to avoid too much fat and salts from table food.

She really likes bread.....I have a bread machine, any ideas on making a healthier loaf of bread without soo many carbs? Maybe something I can mix with the meat and kibble for added filling? She is taking dog treats, but only peanut butter kind. I'm guessing it's the salt too, one of my other dogs will only eat peanut butter treats.

hmmm.......

I'd have to say at this point the hardest part about the physical rescueing (aside from normally having no one to prosecute) is feedings. One dog doesn't like one food, another dog doesn't like other foods, one will only eat one food, one only eats a combination of some (one of my dogs will ONLY eat puppy chow with the meat mix but she won't eat just the meat mix or just the puppy chow--it has to be mixed and it has to have the right amount of spices, if I put too much garlic in the meat she won't touch it). UGH.....it's aggravating.

But anyway........11:00 Smiffy.......no pups yet, contractions still about 8 seconds apart but the vulva's a lot more swollen and she's starting to tucker out a little bit--not quite as active as she was but now she'll walk around a little bit and then go back to her crate and lay there.

smiffy
05-30-2006, 01:10 PM
All natural and can even be made organically too. I intend to use fresh garlic as opposed to powdered in mine as I think it will give a better effect. Anyone know better? The K-9 cutter refers to something that came with the book that I got the recipe from.

FLEA FIGHTER FINGERS
This dough is very easy to handle. It makes a nice, dark biscuit and helps your pet repel fleas because of the presence of brewer's yeast. Makes about 100 (using small K-9 Cutter).

2 beef bouillon cubes
1 3/4 cups (425 ml) boiling water
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) whole wheat flour
1 cup (250 ml) rye flour
1 cup (250 ml) quick cooking rolled oats
1 cup (250 ml) cornmeal, stone ground (Polenta)
1/4 cup (50 ml) brewer's yeast
2 Tbsps (30 ml) garlic powder
1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten

1. In a 2-cup (500 ml) measuring cup, dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and set aside until room temperature.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3. Make a well in the flour mixture and gradually stir in oil, egg and bouillon until well blended.
4. Divide dough into 2 balls, so it is easy to work with.
5. Knead each dough ball on a floured surface, about 3-4 minutes.
6. With a rolling pin, roll dough to between 1/4" and 1/2" thickness.
7. Cut with K-9 Biscuit Cutter and place on a baking sheet, lined with foil.
8. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 300F (150F).
9. Cool on a rack until hard and store, at room temperature, in a container with a loose-fitting lid.

this is a recipe by one of retriever rescues foster carers, maybe there might be something in it for you?

the best food i have found for getting down all the dogs has been 'james wellbeloved' ocean white fish and rice. all the dogs have gone nuts for it plus its completley natural with no additives, its more expensive than what i was getting but it goes down them all better :)

JustAnotherDogLover
05-31-2006, 08:37 AM
With a huff, a puff, and a sigh..........

still no babies.

kerryclair
05-31-2006, 09:08 PM
...and now???.....

JustAnotherDogLover
05-31-2006, 09:57 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Kerry!!! Good to see you back.....hadn't seen anything from you for awhile now, was starting to wonder what happened to you.

Anyway...............

YES YES YES!!!!! She started just over an hour ago. She's had two so far and I think number 3 is on the way. She's doing great with them. I'm a little concerned cause she really wants to hide them so she's laying on top of them and I'm afraid she's gonna squish them. But she seems to respond quickly to their whimpers and gets up.

They are REALLY tiny though. REALLY REALLY tiny! Like two fit in the palm of your hand tiny. She won't actually deliver one while you're watching so I'm going to stay up and check on her every 10 minutes through the night just to make sure I can step in if there is a runt to this litter.....I'm trying to stay positive but they are so small.

Anyway. The two so far are pitch black. I'd say daddy was a black lab, so that makes them lab/retreiver crosses. Everybody wants a lab so they'll find homes quick.

But that's 8 weeks from now. hehe I'm just so excited and so happy she's doing such a great job.

Oop....puppy number 3 just got spit out. Black one, again.

I'll keep you updated!

JustAnotherDogLover
05-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Correction.........number three is dark brown. hehe

I tried to take a couple pics but they didn't turn out real well. I don't want to frighten her so I'm gonna wait til morning to try for more (yeah right, you know I'll be trying again in an hour). LOL

JustAnotherDogLover
05-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, it's been two hours and she just had number 5. It's gonna be a long night!!!!!! AGH!!!!!!!

Poor girl. She's already had 5 and it still doesn't look like it's even dented her big ole belly. I'm gonna crap myself if she has more than the 14 they expected.

So far 3 are black, 1 is dark brown and the other one is ADORABLE!! He's so funny!!! He's all black. One front leg and the opposite back leg is white and the other two legs are the same golden color of mom. Then he's got almost a golden and brown stripes down his body and his head, between his ears and down to his eyes, is golden. But the rest of him is black. He's ADORABLE!!!

JustAnotherDogLover
05-31-2006, 11:45 PM
It's been over an hour and she's still at 5. Got a long way to go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/kpcolkid/Pic1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/kpcolkid/Pic2.jpg

JustAnotherDogLover
05-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Number 6 is born!!!!!! Looks like another black one.

(I said I'd keep you posted!!!!! LOL)

JustAnotherDogLover
06-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Numbers 7 and 8 were wamb bamb, both black. She's getting so tired, I can sense that. But she's still doing an incredible job. Despite 8 pups, it still hasn't put much of a dent in her belly....it's a little smaller but not by much.

Six hours down, half the litter to go. Shift change!!! Your turn! LOL

Having two litters in the same month reminds me why I had my female spayed!!!

smiffy
06-01-2006, 03:29 AM
great news i am pleased. how is mum doing?

celtechfarms
06-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Good to know shes doing such a great job, keep up the updates, this is exciting !! :D

JustAnotherDogLover
06-01-2006, 09:48 AM
13 hours, 11 pups later (I have a headache).

I laid down at 3:30, couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. Hubby got up at 5 and something startled me so I got up and checked on her. She had 9 when I went to bed, 10 when I got up. So in 4 hours she had one more. I don't think she's done cause she's still panting really heavy and her belly (go figure) is still pretty big. Not nearly as big as it was (we'd hope) but it's still got a solid size to it.

But she seems comfortable. She's drinking A LOT of water and spending a lot of time cleaning the pups. Maybe she is done and is still trying to catch her breath? I don't know.......I'm gonna take the top off the crate here in awhile so I can get the floor of it cleaned up, get the paper changed. I'll try to get some more pics when I do.

I'm just so tired! lol

smiffy
06-01-2006, 09:50 AM
i am soo excited :) i told my hubby they have arrived - he started freaking out thinking we were having a litter come in lol the great wimp.

:lol: can i be a cyber aunt :lol:

JustAnotherDogLover
06-01-2006, 09:55 AM
ROFL My hubby kinda did the same thing (but he had good reason). I told him we had another dog coming in (on Sunday when they brought Goldie) and he kinda "aww man, not another dog!!!!" Then she got here and he goes, "you better tell me that dog is fat and not pregnant!!!!" I did the little Orphan Anny dance, touched my knees together, swayed side to side, and quietly mumbled she was pregnant and oops...didn't I mention that earlier???? You should have seen the look on his eyes this morning when I counted!!! He said he looked through the crate and counted 8 (which I knew was wrong anyway cause when I went to bed she was still in labor). So I petted her, gave her a peanut butter biscuit (which she ate all the way through labor--musta picked up the biscuit thing from her cyber aunty) and started counting pups. Had to count three times to be sure. So I said, 'I've got 11'. OMG To have had a camera to get the look on his eyes!!! It was pretty wild.

JustAnotherDogLover
06-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Well, I think that's it. She popped out 12 and her heavy panting stopped and she's finally getting some sleep. She's still fat so I'm gonna say my thoughts that she was a fat dog to begin with was fairly true and that's why it looked like she was having so many. Although, 12 is a TON anyway. lol

But she's doing good, they are all doing good. I'm cleaning crates right now so as soon as I get the other litter cleaned up, I'll get her and hers cleaned up and get some pics.

JustAnotherDogLover
06-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Miscounted......we're only at 11. LOL Yeah, "only".

I can't tell if she's still in labor or not. She is panting really heavy but I know feeding all 11 pups is a lot of work and it is pretty hot. I'm pretty sure she's not finished. She seems comfortable, lightly panting, and then she'll go into this mega pant and almost grunt combination (a contraction?).

Oh.....we'll see! Anyway. Here's two more pics. Cleaning the crate was ...... interesting........to say the least. I put the pups in a small cardboard box while I cleaned the crate and she wanted to get in the box with them. She wouldn't come out of the crate so I put the box right at the front of the crate and worked around Goldie. She tried to get in the box, tipped the water bucket over and I had to clean up again. Joy. No biggy, grabbed some more newspaper and a dry sheet and all is good now. They're all comfy, cozy (and DRY!!!).

And on another note, the smell also reminds me why I spayed my female!!!! LOL (I just can't get the PLEASE SPAY YOUR PET out of my head right now).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/kpcolkid/Pic3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/kpcolkid/pic4.jpg

smiffy
06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
i just popped back in to see if there was any news. what a brood and guess what HUBBY WENT GOOEY!!!

totally agree with you in neutuering i always say its part of good pet ownership. if your not going to breed and do it right then be a good owner and spay/castrate.

kerryclair
06-01-2006, 07:56 PM
How sweet this all is - WHY DON'T PEOPLE SPATY AND NEUTER THEIR PETS???? - living vicariously through the internet. Here we use a whelping box so mom can't crush the little tykes, it is a regular box but has a lip around the whole thing, so the dogs can squeeze out and under it if she lays on them. Most suffocate becausethey start crawling the wrong way, brings them to a wall and that is it, so with the lip, puppies can get under, but mom can't, making it much safer. Something to consider for next time. Yes, I know, i know THERE WILL BE NO NEXT TIME, I am sure your husband is screaming in the background now (grin).

Keep us posted, I'll keep checking back too.

JustAnotherDogLover
06-01-2006, 10:35 PM
There is no excuse on why pets aren't spayed or neutered--no acceptable excuse anyway. I always hear that it cost too much or because "the pet is worthless afterwords". Ridiculous. Perhaps not enough of a "push" to have it done. There should be, in my opinion, some kind of legal consequence. Euthenizing, though neccessary I know to help lower the over-population, really has little effect on the future. For one that may be destroyed, there is still another out there having 7, 8, 9 or (in poor Goldie's case--11). I actually had a guy a few weeks ago CHEW me out for having mine spayed. He offered to breed her with his male, for MY pick of the litter (he was going to sell the rest). I laughed at him and said there was no way in hell I'd breed her. He handed me a card said to call him when I changed my mind. I handed it back and said she's been spayed so there was no changing my mind. He got on to me at that point--called me an irresponsible pet owner and told me how horrible it was of me to take away what was rightfully hers (being the ability to have puppies).....like making breeding was a thought-out decision by dogs. Then he proceeded to threaten me--said he was going to do anything and everything to have me charged with animal cruelty because, in his mind, spaying was cruel. I don't remember if I'd ever been as heated with a discussion as I was that day.

I've had people come over to "meet" dogs they were interested in adopting. They'll get all excited, plan the colors of the collars and dishes and whatnot. And once they learn the animal must be neutered, they instantly change their minds. Which is fine. I'd much rather the animal stay with me then end up in a home where, by not being fixed, I would consider cruel.

I've become speachless, especially with people in my area, who think spaying and neutering is "pointless" or should be considered "animal cruelty". The ASPCA would have a field day down here. I'm sure my county is not the only one that needs a good kick in the toosh with animal education. Anyway.

No new pups yet. She's eating really well, drinking a lot of water and came out to roam earlier today. Pups all look good. We're thinking Retriever and German Shepard or Rottweiler. But who knows.

celtechfarms
06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
No kidding! wow what an idiot, I had a woman face me one day and tell me it would make her bitch fat and lazy the spay her so she wouldn't do it. :roll: I mean come on how stupid is that? I own three and all three are spayed and nutered, yes I said three, we have a new baby, a beagle mix. Some people need to be whaked up the side of the head. Now around here, even our SPCA sucks, I wish the ASPCA was up here, they are so much better.

Personally I think a law should be put into place, if your dog isn't numbered with a kennel club and has a spicific working title you shouldn't be allowed to breed, and if you do, your fined for both the breeding and for every puppy that is born. With my Jade's mothers little that was fourteen puppies. I think maybe 5000 for breeding and 1000 for every puppy. I think that would be enough to encourage vets to help stop the breedings if they get a certain amount of the fine for reporting it, dont you guys? :twisted: Let the irrisponsible buggers pay.

Congrabs on all the babies, thats awsome that they're all healthy.

JustAnotherDogLover
06-02-2006, 09:12 AM
My adoption contract is pretty stricked, and I've had people refuse to adopt because of it. Which, again, is fine with me. I've recently added that if the spay/neuter certificate isn't returned by the due date, the adopter agrees to not only return the animal but also pay $1000.

My animal control is trying hard to change a number of things but some of it they don't understand they can change themselves. Such as their adoption contract. The contract states you agree to have the animal fixed but the adopter isn't required to return any proof of the surgery. So even though the shelter say you must have it fixed, they don't go after anyone to be reassured it was actually done. And I understand they have a lot of dogs (it's not uncommon for our shelter to get 50+ dogs A DAY). But nonetheless. I don't think they realize if they require this proof (which means the surgery really is getting done), they probably wouldn't get these 50+ dogs a day. But they are working on it. The "head honcho" of our AC has asked me to do some voluntary work with them and another rescue group in my area......some coordination with adoption programs outside the shelter, a more strict contract, yadayadayada. She said volunteer but they'd offer me the opportunity to bring some of my own dogs to adoption days as well as covering my vet fees. But the kinds of changed needed around here to make a noticeable difference is going to take a long time.

I agree with you on the fines but doing things that way you know it's only a matter of time before people create a "job" for their "mutts" just to avoid having it fixed. And really, the price is not an arguement in a lot of places. Not with how many assistance programs there are in, at least, this country. I've helped support a program in the past that was outrageously REASONABLE. If I remember right, it was $25 for males, $35 for females. If that's not reasonable, I don't know what is!!! We have one vet in my area that neuters for $60, which I think isn't too bad. Females the cheapest I could find is $125 which is still a good chunk of change.

But there has been this big arguement in the last few years regarding pets and ownership that would make legalizing spay/neuter difficult. So many people have argued to have pets considered personal property and it's very difficult to force any kind of law or requirements on personal property. But I suppose with enough thought and planning, something could be done. Our children are required to have immunizations; if they don't they can't go to daycare or even school. But there are so many pets in this world keeping track of them would be difficult. It'd almost require officers of some sort to go house to house for proof of sterilization or officers to follow up on proof submitted.

Anyway.........getting legal again (I studied law in college). You might want to check out www.spayusa.org It's a neat site. Unfortunetly, none of my vets were the least bit interested.

Well, Goldie and her final 11 are still doing great. She's a bit ansy this morning so I'm gonna see if she wants to head outside for a little bit later on (it'll make cleaning the crate easy anyway--LOL). She made a mess last night. I'm off to the pound today. One AC officer got attacked by a stray pit bull/lab mix yesterday so she's out with 80 stitches to both hands and arms. And on the way to assist her, another AC officer got broadsided by a semi. So he's in the hospital with a major case of whiplash. And a few volunteers got spooked by the pit bull/lab case and left. So after I clean up "my" messes, I'm gonna go help clean up theirs.

smiffy
06-03-2006, 04:24 AM
hon thats the last thing you need right now. try to make some time for yourself so you dont burn out.

hope the officers pull through ok but make sure you get all the help you need to. xx