PDA

View Full Version : Worn down paw pads?

d3fective
05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I have a 1 year old pit. I took her to my family's house today. While there I took her to the back yard to play some ball. Part of their back yard is cemented in. As my dog went after the ball she would run full speed and stop and slide to the ball, pick it up, and run back to me. After a few times of this I noticed blood. She has worn down all four paws pads smooth. There are no open wounds or cuts, but the was some bleeding. The bleeding stopped shortly after we stopped playing ball, but her paws are now tender.

Is there something I could do to help ease the pain?

Thanks,
-jim

tigger the turtle
05-15-2006, 05:38 AM
I`m not sure if it will help and I`m not sure what it`s called, but I`ve seen some dogs wearing some sort of cloth on their paws.
I`ve seen it in pet stores.

smiffy
05-15-2006, 05:52 AM
i would bathe her feet in warm water every day to help them recover.

is the ground freshly cemented? i dont know the ingredient i will have to ask my brother (brickie) but there is something in concrete that will cause for your skin to go red raw, maybe thats whats happened?

as tigger rightly said there are special boots you can buy i recommend the ones by mikki, fully adjustable but sold in twos at 4:99 a pair.

use the boots when out walking until her pads have healed to stop the risk of infection, think about your floor cleaners also, dont use shake n vac and clean your floors in dettol as its safe enough to use in your situation.