PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my puppy

Carl
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
I have posted a long post in the K9 medical questions and comments forum about Penelope. I am really afraid of going to the vet this afternoon with her, not because I'm afraid that he will diagnose something, but because I'm afraid that he won't be able to give a diagnosis. She is so withdrawn, and rarely seems to enjoy anything these days. I was really hoping that the initial bloodwork would have screamed hypothyroidism and that we would be able to treat for that and she would be ok. Now, with the numbers being so close to the "normal range," I'm afraid that he won;t know what is causing all of this.

The rescue shelter that I got her from doesn't have the resources to foster an animal indefinately that probably won't be adoptable, so I know that if I tell them that my wife and I can't deal with the stress, tears, and long nights of watching over her that she may be put to sleep.

We've only had Penelope since the beginning of March, but it was love at first sight when I saw her at the adoption rally. When she felt good, she followed me everywhere, and was always ready to cuddle and give me puppy kisses. My wife has had dogs all her life, and our older dog Flannery was hers before we even met and is still her dog (follows her, cuddles with her, indifferent towards me even after we got married and moved in together). Penelope is the first dog that I have ever had, and it's really hard to think about losing her so soon. I know most of the people posting on this board are loosing a close friend that they have had for years, and I almost feel like I'm sticking my nose in somwhere that I shouldn't be yet, but I have been up all night crying about this.

Carl

AirForceChick
04-27-2006, 11:29 AM
He's already ruled out hypothyroidism? Pretty quick to do that. That was my initial thinking in the medical section response. Anyway just keep pressing on with the tests...just outta curiousity has anything changed in the household?

Your in the right place to talk about this. Yes, many of us have lost family and friends...but to a majority of us, pets are family. It's normal to be upset, and frankly I'd be up all night as well. Please don't regret coming here. We want to help.

Do you have a picture of Penelope?

Carl
04-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry, I haven't been in to see the vet since we got the blood work back, so the stuff I posted in the medical forum is still where we are at right now.

The rescue organization we adopted her from was able to get the blood work done at the Texas A&M University Vet School at no cost as one of their volunteers just finished vet school there. I haven't been able to speak with that particular volunteer since the blood work came back, but she did leave a message saying that I could pick up the results (which I did) and that I should take them and the dog to our current vet (which I am doing in about 4 hours).

---

Oh, the DVM at the vet school said that he didn't believe that the results were significant,

AirForceChick
04-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, definitely let us know how it goes. We are all pulling for you. :D

Carl
04-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Here's a picture of Penelope.

Arazante
04-27-2006, 02:29 PM
I can't offer any advice other than to stay strong. Hopefully being young, she has the better chance to become healthy again. I really do wish you and your puppy the best.

kerryclair
04-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Many, many things can cause the symptoms your dogs has, so don't be so sure that she is close to death. I have not read your other post, but heartworm and lyme disease, diabetes, etc, should also be tested for. Chin up, no reason to be so upset before you actually know what is wrong!

I am also sad to see this part:

>>The rescue shelter that I got her from doesn't have the resources to foster an animal indefinately that probably won't be adoptable, so I know that if I tell them that my wife and I can't deal with the stress, tears, and long nights of watching over her that she may be put to sleep. <<

If you love her so much, why would you want anyone else to be there if she WAS dying? Wouldn't you want her to have the peace and comfort of YOUR presence? I think, and this is just MY opinion of course, that this is the greatest gift we can give our pets. Kind euthanasia, eventhough it kills us to say goodbye. We do it for THEM. It is about THEIR mental and physical comfort at that point and not our own. It is the most selfless and painful act we can give as a gift.

Carl
04-27-2006, 06:18 PM
The reason I am concerned is because the vet who did the blood work said it was "normal," and specifically that thyroid is fine. Now that vet is not my normal vet, he was the vet at the lab that did the analysis. As far as why this is serious is because my wife and I have fixed resources that would limit our ability to look for every single possible cause of the problem, and could limit our ability to pay for treatment depending on the diagnosis and cost of treatment. Likewise, the rescue shelter has limited resources to look for every possible cause of the problem and to treat problems as they crop up. Now don't get me wrong, we can afford a dog better than a lot of people who own dogs. We are feeding her ultra premium food, and will be happy to switch foods if that is what is needed. We also provide her with plenty of toys, lots of exercise (or as much as she can take now that she has no energy), and socialization with us and our other dog and previously with other dogs though we are limiting that right now in case she has some kind of infection. we provide her with preventative medicines such as heartworm and flea control, and will be keeping her current on all vaccinations. To be honest, however, we weren't prepared to deal with these issues immediately after we adopted her. The financial and emotional costs have taken their tollHad there been any indication of these problems prior to adoption we would have had to look for another dog.

I never intended to imply that we would just give her back and let her be euthanized alone. If it gets to the point that our resources run out, and if a manageable solution has not been found, the shelter would likely consider euthanasia as an option, and we would be there with her at that time.

Unfortunately, I had an emergency at work involving a few children, so I wasn't able to get her to our vet this afternoon. Luckily they are going to get me in tomorrow.

C

kerryclair
04-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Keep us posted.
I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say that you are in our thoughts.

healing07
07-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Don't worried about your puppy. You should take your puppy to vet and give her good treatment. I know these are the main symptoms of this disease but you don't lose your hope and go ahead.
I pray to God for your puppy and I hope everything will be fine.
My prayers with you.