PDA

View Full Version : Strange great dane belly button??

countrychic10
04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi. I have a question about my 7 week old great dane puppy. His belly button sticks out. It looks like a little round ball sticking out of his tummy. And if he's laying down and I gently push on it, it will go back in. What is this? It doesn't cause him any pain, it just looks strange. I have owned dogs all my life and haven't had a dog with this before. Any info you give me will be helpful. Thanks!

AirForceChick
04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
I've seen them stick out for a while right after they are born, but can't say I've seen them stick out up to 7 weeks. I don't see why they would be any different than humans who have an 'outtie.' I'll ask our chief vet when he comes in. If it's not causing him any pain, then I wouldn't worry too much about it right now...especially if your vet hasn't mentioned it during a routine examination.

SalemWitchChild
04-20-2006, 04:20 PM
It's actually a hernia. It's not painful and normally does not cause any problems.

AirForceChick
04-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Hmm...never knew that. Never seen one beyond a few weeks either.

Thanks. :lol:

countrychic10
04-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the advice! I found a site all about hernias in dogs. Click on the link below to learn more. (The hernia on the puppy in the picture looks like the one my puppy has, but the one on Brutus is alot smaller..about the size of a small marble)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=442