PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy

Ld2410
04-06-2006, 10:07 AM
I am wondering do you count the 63 day gestation from the 1st day your dog goes on heat or from the first day of mating?

AirForceChick
04-06-2006, 04:23 PM
It begins from the time of successful mating. Puppies on the way?? :lol:

Ld2410
04-06-2006, 09:18 PM
It begins from the time of successful mating. Puppies on the way?? :lol:

Yes puppies on the way, unfortunatly I was irresponsible and didnt have our 2 dogs spayed, so they are unexpected and I dont know anything about this.
But let me tell you these dogs wont be homeless, we have a very large family who want them aswell as all of our friends want them, so we have a great list of ppl who want to take these puppies.
I have been abused on another forum for this happening.
These puppies, WILL NOT BE HOMELESS....

How do you know when the successfull mating happened? I know the exact date our dog went on heat (as I was in labour having our 1st baby)

AirForceChick
04-06-2006, 10:04 PM
The best way to find out, is to take your dog to the vet. However, that will cost a few bucks...so if you give it some time you'll find out that way. Naturally she will grow, and also her nipples will increase in size around the last week due to the milk that will be needed. I'd go to the vet though...it's important to stay with the pregnancy, especially during the actual birth.

I'm so glad to hear you already have homes for the puppies. If anything was learned from this, it's the importance of spay/neutering. In your case, it works out...but in all too many cases the puppies are left homeless.

Ld2410
04-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks, I have taken her to the vet, they confirmed she is pregnant & they told me that the pregnancy is 63 days but werent very clear as to when the 63 days began, So Im not 100% sure of the due date.

She was 1st on heat on Feb 3rd and then our 2 dogs were "stuck" together EVERYDAY from feb 3rd. Any idea on a due date?

smiffy
04-07-2006, 04:48 AM
although you were less than careful in not getting your dogs nuetuered i think it is terrible that you left your dog "stuck together" there are far too many unwanted litters out there which is why myself and my fellow rescue workers are kept very busy the whole year round.

now that it is done make arrangements for your own dogs to be nueteured, the boy can be done now and the bitch should be done as soon as is able. you should also make nuetuering part of the homing agreement as they are all going to friends and family they will understand and you will be doing your bit to make sure there are no more unplanned litters.

this is not meant to come across as 'abuse' its just common sence and unfortunatly its ppl like me who are left to pick up the pieces from many many 'good breeders' or to collect dogs 'who had a home to go to'. right now i have 4 such dogs in my home 3 are mine 1 is a foster and i have had calls asking me to take more before they are destroyed. i just dont have the room, its the same story in the uk and us and its so so sad to deal with.

on a lighter note enjoy those tiny waggy tails and paddy paws.

AirForceChick
04-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Well canine gestation is around 58-65 days, so your looking at the first week in June. Later on in the pregnancy the vet will be able to narrow down the due date, but I would guess on the first week in June. Anything less than 58 days and the pups may not survive. Your more than welcome to pm any questions. Not going to get blasted there...

smiffy
04-07-2006, 02:11 PM
ouch, thankyou air force chick :lol:

AirForceChick
04-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Guess after I read it again it wasn't as harsh as I had thought at first...still kind of a slam on Ld...my apologies.

smiffy
04-09-2006, 03:59 AM
:lol: no problem, i'm a tough old bird :lol:

all i wanted to get across is that although its all well and good she has an unplanned litter but its adding to the strain we in rescue face. i know ld will read this and say but my dogs wouldnt end up in rescue. look at the thousands of dogs in our care and just think how many of their breeders said the exact same thing - not my dogs they are all going to good homes.

my job is heart breaking and its ppl like me who really are left with tiny broken hearts. the girl in my pic is star. she came to me aged just 4 months old but she had gone through so many homes she developed a fear of the car - every time she was put in a car she went to a new home.
it was all fear based and i worked with her everyday and she soon came out of it but to place a dog then rehome him does have a hard impact on a dogs mind.

i've had dogs in my home who could only pace back and forth another who would rock back and forth drooling. i could go on and on but all i'm saying is that its damage inflicted by humans and there is only so much we can fix. the last thing we need is another litter BUT by making sure all the dogs are nuetuered then its a responsible act that will help to ease the strain.

hugs to you af chick xxx

AirForceChick
04-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Yes, I saw the point you were trying to get across...just seemed like a blow the first time. Totally cool...

Back on topic...get any more news from the vet?