PDA

View Full Version : IVERMECTIN for Dogs

greeneyedlady369
03-24-2006, 11:50 AM
would like to know if anyone is familiar with giving this med. for large dogs, and dosage.thanks

petsalive
03-24-2006, 12:31 PM
This is NOT a medication that should be given without your veterinarian's approval - it can have many side effects and your vet will know if your dog can take it. He will also tell you the dosage.

I know that 'suggestions' of medication are passed around amongst dog people and they each tell you what a 'miracle' or how much 'cheaper' it is to use something they 'heard about'. This is sometimes a death sentence for your dogs as if these people really knew what they were talking about they would be veterinarians.

If you have a dog that needs medication you shouldn't let acquaintances prescribe it. That is NOT fair to the dog whose life might be at stake. BTW - ivermectin should NEVER be given until the dog has been tested and shown to be NEGATIVE for heartworm. If you give it to a dog that may have heartworm you will kill the dog.

greeneyedlady369
03-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your insight . Ivermectin is the drug used in Heartguard and many othe dog meds. I do know that and there is no test before you give your dog that. They only test to be given is to see if they are allergic to it, and if you give your dog Revolution or interceptor, he is not...my dogs do not have heartworms because they have always been on heartguard. I have come across many vets who thought they knew what they were talking about, but did not.
Thank you again,

petsalive
03-24-2006, 01:35 PM
There IS a test - the Heartworm Test and just because your dogs have been on it yearround does NOT mean they didn't get it at some point. The test tests for adults, not microfilaria (which the ivermectin kills). I believe all vets know about this.