PDA

View Full Version : Dog Constant Licking Problem (Getting pretty serious)

sahd0w
03-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone, I have a semi-serious question. I noticed recently that my dog is CONSTANTLY licking one certain spot on his leg. This area doesn't look inflamed or swollen, but he has completely licked off all of the fur and at the same time it looks like he's been licking his skin right off. I'm afraid this area could get infected, but I just don't know what to do.
Do you think this is a phychological problem, like with birds who keep pulling out their feathers? Please, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
~Lisa

celtechfarms
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
First thing I would do is rule out any medical problems with a quick vet visit, if nothing is medically wrong it may be a compusive thing in which case (and I've done this with success with one of my dogs) wet a rag with vinigar and wipe it on that spot, the taste will deter the dog from continuing. Sometimes age alone will cause a dog to do this, sometimes its a irritation that so long as they lick it, it wont go away. But have your vet look your dog over before you do anything else.

smiffy
03-15-2006, 07:22 AM
after ruling out any medical reason this sort of behaviour can point to stress in animals.

you will need to take a step back, whats his training like how is he trained. is he getting mixed signals. has anything changed in or around your home?

when your dog displays this behaviour call him over or offer a toy,get his attention away from licking his leg.
while this may help in the short term you really need to analyze your situation so you can make changes for the long term.

sahd0w
03-15-2006, 09:31 AM
thank you both so much for your help. nothing has really changed with my dog.. hes really old, but i dont know if thats of any use.
one thing thats changed is that my parents have stopped letting him sleep in their room, but thats BECAUSE hes always licking his leg and the sound is rather... unpleasant =P so i doubt thats something that started it.

i did talk to a friend who is a vet-tech, and she told me that i should probably get one of those cone collars, but thats out of the question, because he has enough trouble walking up and down the stairs. she also suggested spraying a cortizone spray on the area to get rid of any sort of skin infection, if there is one.

im definately going to try the spray, and i hope i can find something that will taste bad to deter him from licking it. im almost scared to put anything other than like.. neosporin on it as of now, because the skin is very raw since he has been licking it for a long time.

please, if you have any more suggestions, keep them coming. thanks again in advance

smiffy
03-15-2006, 10:37 AM
as the skin is raw i wouldnt consider putting vinager on it. my dalmatian has a rash appear on her leg and ive been treating it with savlon to help sooth it.
savlon tastes pretty rank, but then im not a dog :lol:

again a cone collar is just a short term answer, try to get to the bottom of the problem. what about his diet? beef and beef products drive my shih tzu wild, she scratched her sides red raw until it was all out of her system.

dogs, like us can set up allergys at any point in their lives. the lady who runs the rescue i work for has seen many dogs over the years with an allergy to 'shake n vac' so think about your washing powders or chemicals around the house. i am allergic to radion washing powder but no others but spray polish and some bubble baths drive me nuts.

maybe its worth a try to cut out a household cleaner one by one after youve tried his diet? dont do the diet and house all at once or you will not know what was causing it if it is an allergy.
change his diet to a bland recipe like chiken and rice or turkey and rice ~ my dogs are on chicken. wheat features heavily in canine allergys too.

sahd0w
03-15-2006, 11:36 AM
as the skin is raw i wouldnt consider putting vinager on it. my dalmatian has a rash appear on her leg and ive been treating it with savlon to help sooth it.
savlon tastes pretty rank, but then im not a dog :lol:

again a cone collar is just a short term answer, try to get to the bottom of the problem. what about his diet? beef and beef products drive my shih tzu wild, she scratched her sides red raw until it was all out of her system.

dogs, like us can set up allergys at any point in their lives. the lady who runs the rescue i work for has seen many dogs over the years with an allergy to 'shake n vac' so think about your washing powders or chemicals around the house. i am allergic to radion washing powder but no others but spray polish and some bubble baths drive me nuts.

maybe its worth a try to cut out a household cleaner one by one after youve tried his diet? dont do the diet and house all at once or you will not know what was causing it if it is an allergy.
change his diet to a bland recipe like chiken and rice or turkey and rice ~ my dogs are on chicken. wheat features heavily in canine allergys too.
actually my dog doesnt eat beef products, and for a while has eaten chicken and rice. he was sick a few months ago from a medication he was taking (for pain of arthritis in his hips), but his health is back to normal for a while now. he eats pedigree dog food, and has for years.
anything that will soothe this area or heal it while keeping him from licking it is something i will try.
thank you for the suggestion of savlon.. ill check it out.

celtechfarms
03-16-2006, 06:13 AM
You might also want to consider an ointment called hibitane, it is an awsome ointment that you put right on the skin, it will take the rawness away and heal the area, its a great cream I've used both on a horses sun burn and on a dogs paw when she broke off her dew call, it helps the healing plus takes away alot of the irritation, its like wonder cream and you can get it in a nice small bottle and a little goes a long way.