PDA

View Full Version : German Shepherd rescued

Winterghost
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
My wife and I found a german shepherd, young female that has been several neglected, malnurished, and dehydryated. The poor thing is REALLY skin and bones at the moment.
I have already spoken to a vet in our area and they could only offer to put the girl down. She is having spasms, but otherwise, is alert. I spent all night with her feeding her soft food like lunch meat and using an eye dropper to get some fluid back into her. This morning, she seems a little better, atleast holding her head up and tracking me in the room.
Since the vet only offered to put her down, is there anything else I can do? I am not going to take this poor dog to the vet in hope of her getting better only to have her killed. She needs a good home and I intend on giving her just that, if we can get some weight back on her and fluids in her.

kerryclair
03-09-2006, 10:48 PM
How very kind of you.
Since she can't say it with words THANK YOU for helping this dog.

My first suggestion? Find another vet. I do not care how emaciated the dog is, .... any quality vet would try to do what they could to help and it is a disgrace that this was the only answer offered to you. So first, find another vet.

Then ....perhaps start the dog on this:
EUKANUBA HIGH CAL (http://eukanuba.com/en_US/jhtmls/product/sw_ProductDetail_Page.jhtml?pdi=80&li=en_US&bc=E&sc=D&pti=VD&tc=1&bsc=&lsc=&_DARGS=%2Fen_US%2Fjhtmls%2Fproduct%2Fsw_ProductLis t_droplet.jhtml.6_A&_DAV=1)

This is a very high calorie food to help put weight and add nutrition back into a dog or cat. IT IS NOT MEANT FOR YOUR DOG AS A REGULAR DIET AND YOU CAN NOT USE IT FOREVER, but initially it might help to get some of this into the dog with some quality dry dog food, like Eukanuba or Canidae or something else that is not made of sugar and additives (like Gravy Train or Kibbles 'n Bits or anything like that).

I hope that Sara will come by and make some suggestions and correct anything I said that might be wrong here. Sara runs one of the largest no-kill animal sanctuaries in the Uniteid States (Petsalive.com (http://petsalive.com)) and is well versed in the starved, starving and abused animals that she sees daily...

I'll drop her a line and see if she'll come help...

petsalive
03-10-2006, 04:35 AM
You must take her back to the veterinarian and ask him to put her on IV fluids - the real danger of starvation is the 'shutting down' of the internal organs - especially the kidneys. You cannot get enough fluids into her via dropper although I must commend you for trying (and continue to do so until you get her to the vet). Add a bit of honey and if you have gatorade or something similar give her that instead of plain water. Please call me and leave your phone number at 845 386-9738 and I will call you back as soon as I get a break in my am routine but in the meantime please DON'T give her a lot of food - give her small amounts of 'plain' canned food every 1/2 hour - mash it up with warm water (a plain 'chicken' and rice type would be fine - that way you will not be overloading her intestines and causing other problems and she will still be getting some nutrition. If you feed her too much at once she will vomit and lose more fluids further endangering her condition.

Talk to you later.

smiffy
03-10-2006, 06:53 AM
petsalive pretty much said what i was thinking and more. well done on sitting up with her and the fluids you did get into her would have been a great benefit to her. and thankyou so much for putting a warm dry roof over her head i should think shes very grateful to be shown such kindness the poor baby. and as for the *people* who let her get this way :evil:

i would like to give your vet a thick ear, see if you can have another vet treat her and then get that line in as soon as poss. here in the uk we buy chappie at our rescue for the very thin or ailing dogs to help get something into them. i dont know why but they seem to love it and it does get results. i didnt think of adding honey to the water as i have never had to care for an animal so desperatly ill but i was going to ask to see of you can add anything to her water but honey would go down nicely :)

goodluck to you winterghost all i can really add now is to keep a close watch on her temperature as she wont be able to do much for herself right now. its easy for her to get too cold and she wont be able to warm up again so make sure shes out of any drafts but by the same token dont let her over heat

all the best honey, smiffy.

sahd0w
03-15-2006, 11:04 AM
that is so kind of you to take in such a poor, abused dog. it makes me so happy to hear that people will go out of their way to help.
if your vet didnt even bother to help this dog, and you improved it, even the slightest bit, over night, you can definately save its life. getting the fluids is probably the main issure.. you dehydrate a LOT faster than you starve..

very best of luck, and i hope everything goes well with this dog.

tigger the turtle
03-16-2006, 11:23 AM
That has just made my day!
A person rescueing a dog.
That is so kind of you Winterghost!

Arazante
03-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Everyone has said what I would have. I'm glad you're not ready to give up on her, because it sounds like she has the will to live.

And I must congratulate you on your new-found, fluffy baby. I hope she gets strong and healthy again.