PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying a horse

little dixie
02-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi i'm thinking about buying a horse I know how much it is to keep one but I was wondering about hay how much do you think a horse would eat?thanks

SalemWitchChild
02-24-2006, 07:05 PM
The best thing to do is buy books on horse care and if you can work at a local farm helping them out. That way you get experience with horses first.

celtechfarms
02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Depending on the size, age, health, and matabolisium of the horse, and weather the horse is being fed properly or not a horse can consume half a bale to two bales of hay a day (thats a four foot bale). Horses should be fed little grain and have access to hay 24 hours aday. Are you planing on boarding your horse? If not then I suggest you take the time to learn more, before you get a horse. Theres a great equine course being offered through the University of Guelph that can teach you a ton, horses are hard animals to look after properly, you need to know what your doing, or find a stable who knows what their doing, and that can be very difficult as many boarding farms are run by people who are older and set in their ways and wont consider what has been learned over the years.

Ask lots and lots of questions, and good luck in your future purchuse

k.lauralynn
11-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Just to add a little...

If you're planning on boarding your new friend, feed should be included. As far as purchasing hay yourself, you'll need to contact some local suppliers and check out prices. Keep in mind that it will all be particular to your horse and your needs. Factors such as use, age, breed, health, stall versus pasture board, etc will all need to be taken into account.

If this is your first horse, I'd recommend boarding him or her, (at least for a few months) until you can get ahold of a solid price range on what it will take to care for your new friend yourself. Also keep in mind that keeping a horse at home will also require water lines running out to a barn or pasture, increased liability/insurance, etc etc.

Best of luck :)

TrainerPRing
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
As the people have said before me that boarding a horse can be very beneficial if you pay attention bringing your horse home can be easy. If you are trying to do this on your own might I recommend making very good friends with your vet and blacksmith. They can give you a large amount of good advice. When thinking of prices keep your location in mind. If you are closer to good pasture fields then your hay can be purchased locally and be cheaper. If you are lucky enough to live in New England you will notice most of our hay comes from Canada and can be quite pricey. However you get what you pay for. Cheap hay is usually a waste. I hope this helps. Good luck.