PDA

View Full Version : dog has urinary tract infection

scooters
02-24-2006, 11:33 AM
i've already taken him to the vet, and they prescribed him some antibiotics (amoxicillan). i forgot to ask the vetenerian something:

-my dog wants to go outside ALL the time. i will take him outside, then right after he comes back in hes whining and acting like he wants to go outside. right now hes sleeping on my couch, he seems to be just fine when he's sitting/lying down. my question is, do i really need to take him outside whenever he needs to, or is this just him being in discomfort from just urinating? my guess is that he is just in discomfort, and hes confusing it for wanting to go outside.

SalemWitchChild
02-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Have you ever had a UTI? Basically you feel like you have to go all the time. You may even urinate just a little each time but it won't be enough to relieve the feeling of a full blatter. Just keep taking him outside and comforting him as much as possible. The antibiotics should work fast. Give it a day or two and if it doesn't clear up talk to the vet again.

smiffy
02-25-2006, 04:08 AM
salem is right. i have irritable bladder and it drives me nuts but you gotta go to the loo everytime just incase i might actualy get some relief. its just the same for your dog.
you can do things to take his mind off. things like a trip to the woods or a ball game in the park?
while out he may get some relief and not feel so frustrated. anythings worth a try.

scooters
02-28-2006, 12:51 PM
just an update

hes doing fine now. on the day he got it, i just pretty much had him sleep as much as possible (as soon as he sits down and gets comfortable, he falls asleep), which is what he did. when he woke up a took him outside, came back in and he'd fall asleep.

SalemWitchChild
02-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Glad he's doing much better. :D

smiffy
03-01-2006, 02:44 AM
thats good news, what a great dog you have :)