PDA

View Full Version : Fussy & Skinny Dog At Dinner

surflou
02-17-2006, 04:23 AM
Hi All,

My 15 month old alsation x collie Logan is very skinny, it's not that I don't feed him, I do, he has loads of food every day but the problem is he won't eat it.

Someone suggested I leave it down which I tried and he wasn't bothered with it, and it started to go off lol!

Someone else said to try staying with him for the first few times and giving him loads of praise when he does eat, therefore teaching him to eat to please me but this works to a point then he won't eat any more.

I don't know what to do, he doesn't eat dry food, he only eats certain wet foods, he likes cat food but then again don't most dogs due to the high fat content in cat food.

I really don't know what to do, he's very skinny which means he's always hopping over the neighbours wall - he hasn't complained too much as he has a dog too but I can tell he's getting a little annoyed at this point! He suggested fattening him up a little so he can't jump over the (very high I might add) wall, he's also hopping over and getting onto the main road, he's escaped twice already - HELP!!!!

celtechfarms
02-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Don't feed cat food, its not at all good for your dog. If he likes wet food and your willing to pay for it then continue to feed it. Some dogs have a high matablism, or don't eat what you would consider alot of food, and some dogs due to breed always look thin when at ideal weight. I suggest the same, leave the food down, when your dog is hungry, it will eat, and thats the way it should be, forcing your dog to eat is a very bad idea.

The next thing I would do is head into your vet, find out what your dogs ideal weight is, see what they say about his weight, most likely he is not under weight. Then as a final step, make sure the dog food you are feeding is a high quality food, that way he is getting the most out of what little he eats. A natural food without corn in it and with a meat listed as one of the first ingrediants is best, the more meat in the food the better, read that ingrediant list carefully, just because chicken is number one, if there is a list of fifteen ingrediants and only two are meat, then the other producats are far out weighing the meat. But stay away from that corn, other wise your just wasteing your money, rice or wheat is much better, as your dog can't digest corn feeds.

Next, once you have chosen your feed choice, stick with it, he maybe discriminating at first, but eventually he'll get hungry and eat. If you don't want to leave the food down then change your feeding schedual, put the food down, twice to three times a day, make sure he is with you. put it down for fifteen minutes, then pick it up, weather he has eaten or not. Eventually he will learn, if I want to eat, I'll eat now. (I personally hate this way of doing things, it promotes your dog to wolf down their food, which is not at all healthy and may cause him to get sick afterwards, not a nice thing.)

As for the fence jumping, I would suggest the added security of tieing your dog, on a short enough lead that he can't reach the fence (very important, otherwise he'll hang himself) Sense he is still in your fenced yard tieing him out will be quiet safe and a much happier salution then angry neighbors and fast moving vehicals.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Heather

surflou
02-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Firstly I have to stress I don't FEED him cat food, he helps himself, we have 4 cats and it's tricky to keep him out of the kitchen permanently, but I'm happy for him to munch it occasionally as I know that it won't do him any harm, the cats eating his food would be a different matter as cat food supplies them with a couple of vitamins they need to be healthy, whereas a dog makes these itself and has none in its food.

I don't like the idea of tying up Logan to be honest, I'm going to add a foot to the wall in the summer, and our neighbour isn't going beserk just yet, hopefully he'll stop when he puts on a little weight.

He'd definately slim for his breed, he's a collie x german shepherd, he should be much fatter than he is lol!

As for the fod suggestions, thanks, I'll certainly take them into consideration, he;s off to the vets this week anyway to get his booster jab so I will certainly have him weighed then...!

Thanks for the help!

SalemWitchChild
02-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Perhaps he knows that he can get cat food so he is refusing his own. Perhaps block off an area just for the cats to eat so he HAS to eat his food.

And I wouldn't wait on securing your back yard.

smiffy
02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
you can always raise your fence to keep your dog in. do talk to your vet about it when you visit but my dog twig had a really bad start and almost starved to death when she needed extra food to help her grow. the result? a tiny scrawny dalmatian. dont leave his food down,dont make other food available esp cat food. have you thought of raising the cat food if you cant block it off?

Lyndzi76
02-19-2006, 10:16 AM
I have had that trouble of getting my dog to eat when i first had him out of rescue he wouldn't eat no matter what i fed him and someone told me to put the food down for 5 mins if he doesn't eat it within that time take it away and he won't be fed anthing till his next meal. After missing 3 meals he ate evry time i put food down for him and now after 3 years he eats every meal. But i do understand the worry they put you through.

As for the fence i would just put a simple trellace up so he won't be able to scramble over it. Its cheap and it does the job.

Cat food in small amounts won't hurt it has a high protein level though so it may give him more energy & runny poo.
Good Luck
Lyndsey Webster VN

smiffy
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
yes as lindzi said, put the food down and walk away. give him a fair amount of time to get stuck in but the moment he walks away pick the bowl up and keep it for next meal time.
its best to feed two meals a day. in the evening meal dont feel you have to make up for what he missed at breakfast just put the normal amount down for his breed/size/weight.

elliepellie
02-25-2006, 05:55 AM
well have to say thank you for this post...

I have a 9 weeks (almost ) pup who have started this a bit.
2 night feeds she walked off, and now today first morning she walked away from her food.
I know my breeder said to take it off and then give it to her at a later time... but was not sure if I was going to through the old away or keep it and give it as she do takes a few mouthful then stops.

Is it not to early for her to start this behavior?
And should I replace a meal with a weetabix or something if she don't stop this?

For the cats, I have a cat, and I have added our cats food on the counter

smiffy
02-25-2006, 07:13 AM
hello ellie
just keep it simple. put the food down in the morning (i have my dogs sit and wait while i put it down and then they are allowed the food when i give my release command) while she eats just walk away. if she leaves her food just pick it up and dont put it down until the next meal time.
at just 9 weeks old have you considered breaking the meals up to three a day?