PDA

View Full Version : Excessive drooling

RuthGH
02-08-2006, 07:11 AM
My 10 month old pup has had two episodes of excessive drooling (really mucousy stuff-sorry so gross)...vet can't find anything that would cause it (no poisoning, nothing wrong with mouth, no dental problems, etc.). His best guess at this point is a food allergy...Anybody out there heard of this or experienced it? Thanks...

SalemWitchChild
02-08-2006, 05:32 PM
I have heard of food allergies but thankfully haven't had to deal with it. What kibble is he on? Best thing to do is eliminate one thing at a time to see what he's allergic to. You could try different brands of food. Somewhere around here we have a thread for the best brands of food you can buy.

here it is
http://www.animalforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=855

RuthGH
02-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks for your reply; I have read a lot and talked to our vet about food allergies in dogs, but what I had not come across was the drooling in connection with allergies...thanks again.

petsalive
02-09-2006, 01:32 AM
This is usually caused by ingestion of an 'irritant' - perhaps a toxic insect, perhaps a cleaning product that you use in your home. If you have just washed your floors for example with Lysol or one of the pine cleaners and your puppy licks the floor (or mop) it could cause that reaction. If he gets into plants that he shouldn't eat or 'rummages' around in the grass outside and eats worms, caterpillars or some ants this could also happen.

Try to think of what he was doing in the day before he started to drool and see if you can find something that could have caused this. If it happens again make notes of everything he and you did that day to try to figure it out.

Food allergies would not cause this 'localized' reaction.

RuthGH
02-09-2006, 06:39 AM
hope that's ok! Thanks, Ruth

Lyndzi76
02-19-2006, 09:00 AM
:) I have never heard of a food allergy causing excessive drooling. What kind of dog is it?

RuthGH
02-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm guessing the previous poster is correct--possibly caused by something he ingested while rooting around in the yard...