PDA

View Full Version : May get a Cockatiel

Cockatiel Schnauzers Fish
02-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi! I am 12 years old and am thinking about getting a Cockatiel. I know a reponsible breeder with hand-fed chicks.
I have 3 Miniature Schnauzers, Chloe who is interested in rodents/birds...until they are out of the cage, then she is scared; Winnie was rescued from a Puppymill and could care less; Delhi has major prey-drive :twisted: , but I thing she would learn. We used to have a hamster that she just ADORED. I also foster for a Miniature Schnauzer Rescue. The dogs would not come near the bird when it wasn't in a cage.
:?: Do you have any tips for me?
I was wondering, because I have allergies, if a air filter or another device would work to control the dust?
Also, how big should the cage be? I know it should be longer so they can they around.

I will ask more questions if I can think of them! Thanks!

Javacolours
04-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Regardless of the fact that somebody is an amazing cockatiel breeder, I strongly suggest you learn to see how healthy one is by just looking at it. This is so that when you go look at them, you can tell for yourself which one is healthy. Sometimes, just because somebody is an amazing breeder, doesn't mean all their animals are completely healthy.

As for the cage, the mininum size you should have the cage is 18 inches by 18 inches with a height of 24 inches. There should also be a nice half an inch of spacing for the bars, as they enjoy climbing and chewing. That being said, some cages are unsafe for your bird and can very well be the death of it. When purchasing one, make sure you get one that will not rust. Due to the fact that they do enjoy chewing the bars, tiels can eat the flakes of the cage - an unhealthy thing to do.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy one if I was in your position. They require a lot of attention and they are very social birds. With all the animals you currently have, you seem busy as is. Also, considering you even have a dog that could possibly attack the bird, is a bad sign. Also, your allergies wouldn't help too. Nothing but cleaning can really help you with all the dust that will come with a tiel, everything else wouldn't be really safe for one.