PDA

View Full Version : my chihuahua is acting strange

daisi681
02-03-2006, 10:41 PM
please help! i have a 1yr old chihuahua and yesterday i noticed that her ears were red. i hadn't bathed her for a while so i thought maybe she was dirty or had ear mites. i bathed here, then noticed her whole body was red. she seemed real scared and confused. the redness went away but what most concerns me is that she doesn't want to walk. her legs get stiff and she doesn't move. i was told it could be constipation, but why the redness.

i took a nap this afternoon and i had her under my covers. i woke up from the nap to find that she was in the same spot, panting hard, and she pissed herself. i thought right away that she was paralized and freaked out. i took her to the kitchen to give her water. i tried to stand her up and she fell.

we put her food down and she gobbled it up. she started walking but with limited movement. she's responsive when i call her name and her tail wags. my dad suggested she may have been bitten by a spider. what should i do?

i'm really worried. please give me advice before i take her to the vet.

smiffy
02-04-2006, 03:32 AM
i would book her an emergency appointment, this could be anything. don't take any chances.

daisi681
02-05-2006, 05:31 AM
my baby girl is doing great. i thought it might be an allergic reaction, possible spider bite... i wasn't sure. i gave her some warm milk. i massaged her tummy. i took her for a small walk around the apartment complex. she finally pooped, 3 times. she felt a whole lot better after that. she slept the rest of the night and day, now she's back to her old self! i'm so happy that it wasn't serious. she's jumping, walking, barking. she's doing awesome.

thanks

smiffy
02-05-2006, 06:36 AM
thats great news. im glad shes picked up. keep an eye on her just in case it was something in the home she ate or licked, maybe even rubbed against.
do you live in an area affected by poisonous spiders? if so write down what happened and ask to speak to a vet nurse on the phone and she will either tell you then or ask her vet and call you back but at least then you will know of symptoms tally.

J_I_F
02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm glad that the dog is fine. A little lucky. What symptoms were you watching for before seeking medical help? Please love your dog enough to do what is best.

tigger the turtle
02-25-2006, 09:08 AM
I am very happy that your dog is fine!