PDA

View Full Version : grooming my dog for the first time

luv4pets
01-16-2006, 06:20 AM
I will attempt grooming my dog for the first time today. If you have any suggestions or tips, I would greatly appreciate it. He is a wire-haired terrier.

smiffy
01-16-2006, 11:36 AM
if this is the 11yr old ive just relied to you for then a wire bristled brush or comb will do it,just use gentle strokes while he gets used to what your doing but if its a younger dog then a groomer can 'hand strip' your dog which takes away some of the excess hair and leave your dog not so shaggy but personally i loved my terrier shaggy,after i brushed her i went through it with a fine tooth lice comb.
i do with all my dogs just for the sake of it.

kerryclair
01-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Did he like being groomed?

Onyx
02-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Definetaly give him treats while you are grooming him at first, and keep it fun, even if you don't actually get him groomed. The purpose of this is to teach him that grooming is fun. Also I suggest that you do it a few times a day instead of one big grooming session.

It's always a pleasure when your dog loves to be groomed, and it all starts with how you approach the subject.

elliepellie
02-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Definetaly give him treats while you are grooming him at first, and keep it fun, even if you don't actually get him groomed. The purpose of this is to teach him that grooming is fun. Also I suggest that you do it a few times a day instead of one big grooming session.

It's always a pleasure when your dog loves to be groomed, and it all starts with how you approach the subject.

Thank you 8)

jremstuart
04-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Grooming the dog involves several steps: An initial brush-out is followed by a first clipping of hair or fur using electric clippers, combs, and grooming shears; the groomer then cuts the nails, cleans the ears, bathes, and blow-dries the animal, and ends with a final clipping and styling.The basic ides when you are grooming Keeps them busy for a while anyway.